Author Topic: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)  (Read 1897697 times)

Offline bvillercr

Re: Getting ready for Bonneville(rebuild)
« Reply #1110 on: June 10, 2010, 02:19:43 PM »
We have gotten a few things finished. 

We have the yoke/wheel sensor installed, just have to finish wiring and other data sensors.

We were getting ready to bleed the brakes when on of the bleeders broke while loosening. :evil:  So as I write they should be getting installed.  We will have the rubber put on and the car off the lift today.  We need to remove the header to change a couple bungs for the EGT sensors.   :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1111 on: June 10, 2010, 04:22:02 PM »
Things have changed again, I met the crew for lunch(they are now eating) and got the news that the bleeders won't be in stock till next Friday.  Soooo they took the headers off and will be making new zoomies before we put it on the dyno.   :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1112 on: June 10, 2010, 09:23:25 PM »
We were able to bleed the brake with the bleeders we had, got the rubber on and it's off the lift and put out of they way so we can start putting the data loggers in.  The header flanges and pipes will be ordered soon. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1113 on: June 11, 2010, 10:25:34 PM »
We tried to order header flanges today.  JL222 sent in an e-mail with photos of our head bolt pattern and a photo of our headers.  He called back to see if they had any instock and their power was out.  We won't know anything until Monday, but if they don't have them I could take three weeks to get.  We could get them in town and laser cut in a few days, but would probably cost more.  Days seem to fly by so we will keep trucking on getting the new stuff finished. :cheers:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1114 on: June 14, 2010, 10:53:57 PM »
The header shop was closed today so we have to wait until tomorrow to call and see if they have what we need in stock.  In the mean time we got some sensors installed minus the wiring.

We put in an oil pressure sensor, we have a gauge but with this we can check if the oil pressure goes down during the entire run.  It's hard to look at the gauge while at speed.

This is an additional boost pressure sensor on the bottom and a temperature sensor on top.  The temp. sensor will give actual air temp. going into the engine, about three feet past the temp. sensor at the intercooler.

The front temp. sensor measures the intercooler water going in and the back measure the water temp. going out.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 10:56:04 PM by bvillercr »

saltfever

« Reply #1115 on: June 15, 2010, 02:30:03 AM »
You are collecting a lot of good data. I forgot . . . what was the name of your data logger?

Offline jl222

« Reply #1116 on: June 15, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »
You are collecting a lot of good data. I forgot . . . what was the name of your data logger?

Innovate DL-32

JL222

saltfever

« Reply #1117 on: June 15, 2010, 01:57:10 PM »
Thanks, John. Since the DL-32 has an accelerometer are you using that data for anything? I'm sure you have your chute position optimized over the years but it might be interesting to see chassis action upon deployment, or?    :wink:

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1118 on: June 16, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »
I don't believe that we will set up the G-sensor, but you never know that could change. :-D  We got a few data loggers in place minus the wiring.

two of three EGT loggers under the dash.

The main data logger on the dash for easy access.

Offline jl222

« Reply #1119 on: June 16, 2010, 02:26:55 PM »
I don't believe that we will set up the G-sensor, but you never know that could change. :-D  We got a few data loggers in place minus the wiring.

two of three EGT loggers under the dash.

The main data logger on the dash for easy access.

Troy I believe the G sensor is already installed in the main unit.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #1120 on: June 16, 2010, 02:39:38 PM »
Thanks, John. Since the DL-32 has an accelerometer are you using that data for anything? I'm sure you have your chute position optimized over the years but it might be interesting to see chassis action upon deployment, or?    :wink:

Saltfever.....I hadn't thought about that but it would be interesting + how much G force on opening :-o
  I was thinking about acceleration rates in different gears. I did hit both chutes by accident at 275 mph once and the car reacted great.

JL222

saltfever

« Reply #1121 on: June 16, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »
You are correct . . . the accelerometer is part of the DL-32 circuit board. It is 2 axis. To get correct information it is best mounted right on the CG of the car. However, that may be difficult to determine or even to mount in the right location.  Usually, x and y are pretty easy to find with jack stands. If you wanted to see Z axis acelerations then it would have to be oriented to get that data. Most use the cam height in the motor as the Z dimension of the CG.

Its nice you are taking advantage of the DL-32's capacity. 8 EGTs and all those thermocouples is a bunch of data. Make sure you have the latest version of Logworks which can be downloaded from the Innovate web site. You are going to have a ton of wiggly lines to look at after a run!  :-D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:55:55 PM by saltfever »

Offline jl222

« Reply #1122 on: June 16, 2010, 06:46:12 PM »
You are correct . . . the accelerometer is part of the DL-32 circuit board. It is 2 axis. To get correct information it is best mounted right on the CG of the car. However, that may be difficult to determine or even to mount in the right location.  Usually, x and y are pretty easy to find with jack stands. If you wanted to see Z axis acelerations then it would have to be oriented to get that data. Most use the cam height in the motor as the Z dimension of the CG.

Its nice you are taking advantage of the DL-32's capacity. 8 EGTs and all those thermocouples is a bunch of data. Make sure you have the latest version of Logworks which can be downloaded from the Innovate web site. You are going to have a ton of wiggly lines to look at after a run!  :-D
we have got a lot to learn

JL222

Offline Freud

« Reply #1123 on: June 16, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »
WOW.........You are going to have a ton of wiggly lines to look at after a run!

Does that mean it also records his tire tracks?

FREUD

Since '63

Offline jl222

« Reply #1124 on: June 16, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
WOW.........You are going to have a ton of wiggly lines to look at after a run!

Does that mean it also records his tire tracks?

FREUD

:roll: It could be working overtime especially at El Mirage

JL222