Author Topic: Renting U-Haul? - Read This  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Renting U-Haul? - Read This
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:59:17 PM »
The Los Angeles Times had a series of articles on U-Haul. Before you take one to Bonneville or your let your daughter take her stuff to college . . .
Driving with rented risks
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-haul24jun24,1,6679268.story?ctrack=3&cset=true
Ruling struck at reservations policy
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-haulreserve25jun25,1,2851792.story?ctrack=6&cset=true
Upkeep lags in U-Haul's aging fleet
http://www.latimes.com/business/local/la-na-haul25jun25,1,3813825.story?ctrack=4&cset=true
Key trial evidence goes missing
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-na-haul26jun26,1,2652457.story?ctrack=5&cset=true
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

John@JE Pistons

Re: Renting U-Haul? - Read This
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 01:18:20 PM »
Dean,

Can you please post the stories here rather than us having to sign up to the times board.

Thanks,

J

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »
John, I second that request.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 02:03:23 PM »
third

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 02:18:17 PM »
EASY SOLUTION:
Pick a new truck. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:46:48 PM »
Or use Penske like Kent does!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 12:51:20 AM »
Sorry, I didn't realize you had to subscribe. It only requires an e-mail address and it's free. The articles were huge and too large to post here. The Times investigated for two years. Penske replaces their trucks in 2 1/2 years, Budget in 3. U-Haul has 19 year old trucks with 250,000 miles and no replacement policy. Really scary stuff.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 09:19:31 PM »
I rented a GMC pickup and towed an open trailer with my 1940 Chevrolet in 1992. I was a great experience. I told them I was going out of state and would put approximately less than 2500 miles on it, It had 2700 miles went I took it. The total cost for the trip was to U-Haul for $19 a day and $.19, u add it up. About 2 truck payments at the time. Drove it like I stole it and had no problems. Would do it again If needed...JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 01:37:27 AM »
Last time I rented a U-Haul was about 6 years ago. My brother and I flew in to Indiana to purchase some motors from a drag racer. After inspecting the goods, we went down to U-Haul to pick up the truck. First truck had no lights so we never got it off the lot. 2nd truck seemed to be OK for the few mile we put on it that night. After loading up the motors we stayed the night in Kokomo, IN. and left the next morning.

I had the first shift driving and the semi trucks were passing us like we were standing still. My Brother says how fast are you going and I told him 75mph. Well it did not take us too long to figure out the speedo was wrong. In fact it was a good 15mph fast. When we took it up to 85mph then we were able to keep up with the semi's.

It also had a howl you could not believe. Turns out the seal in the passengers door was missing, so I stuffed paper in the door when I shut it and that helped some. Three days latter when we had dinner in Victorville, the truck would start but not come out of Park. My Brother called their service department only to be put on hold for two hours, so I found an Auto parts store I was able to walk to and purchased a pair of pliers, screwdriver, and flashlight. Crammed myself under the dash and got the brake switch to work which then allowed the Shifter to come out of Park. Next day I go to turn the truck in and the guy wants to charge me 3200 miles for the trip, since that is what the odometer reads from when we picked it up. After a few words the guy decides to drop the excess mileage and just charge us the 2100 that it was.

Renting from U-Haul was a real eye opener, will not rent from them again. I wonder how many people they get on overcharging for mileage, or how many have to wait hours and hours for someone to show up to fix their trucks. Well at least I made it home and can now laugh about it.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.