Author Topic: FIM records  (Read 10338 times)

Offline tortoise

FIM records
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:14:43 PM »
In the FIM Appendices for World Records, linked from the BUB speed trials site, it says:

"18.01 CATEGORIES, GROUPS, DIVISIONS, TYPES AND CLASSES
‘Categories’ describe the method by which the motorcycle is propelled.
‘Categories’ are further defined by ‘Groups’. ‘Divisions’ define the degree of
streamlining. ‘Types’ are determined by power source and then subdivided
into ‘Classes’. ‘Classes’ are determined by total engine displacement."

Division A is non-streamlined, B is partially streamlined, and C is streamliners.

In the world record listings, however, no distinction is made between divisions A and B, or between types, i.e. blown/unblown, compression ignition or spark ignition.

Is there a secret record book somewhere that has the complete records?

Also, there is a section in the record book for "Special Vehicles (2 wheelers), Group C" which is nowhere defined. What the hell is that?

And is any fuel legal for any FIM record?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 07:40:55 AM by tortoise »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: FIM records
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 08:30:51 PM »
Click on "World Records" in the side bar. Under "Regulation" Click on "Appendices for World Records"

That gets you this:

No distinction between gas and fuel. Search for fim here and there is a lot of info.
FIM records in a better format:
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2006_event/FIMResults_Bonneville_2006.pdf
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:02:12 PM »
Yes, the "CATEGORIES, GROUPS, DIVISIONS, TYPES AND CLASSES" are explained in the appendices for world records, but in the record listings, only the group and class are listed. My particular interest is in the group A3 class 50cc record (mopeds); I was wondering if these records are for division A (non-streamlined) or division B (partially streamlined). No way of knowing - they could be supercharged or streamliners for that matter. Maybe this class is only for unstreamlined, which would make sense, sorta.

The BUB records you link have all this stuff, which proves FIM can do it. Thanks for answering the fuel question, anyhow.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 09:12:52 AM »
Special vehicles - 2 wheelers

As far as I know the only example ever to run in this class (although many had claimed in the '80's and 90's to be working on thrust powered bikes) is the Gillette Mach3 Challenger of Richard Brown.  The rocket bike ran at Bonneville in '99 to a 330 mile one way.  Out of kindness to Bub we called it a two wheeler rather than a motorcycle - seems to have stuck.

If you do not like the look of this bike - lie down streamliner - then get the FIM to write some rules down that allow your plans, that do not fit into any of the other categories and groups, to come into being.

Malcolm UK
Team Adminstrator, Gillette Mach3 Challenger
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:08:22 AM »
Special vehicles - 2 wheelers

As far as I know the only example ever to run in this class (although many had claimed in the '80's and 90's to be working on thrust powered bikes) is the Gillette Mach3 Challenger of Richard Brown. 
The record book shows a bunch of standing start records for this class set at Elvington in the eighties and nineties by Yamahas, Hondas, and Suzukis.

By the way, I finally found the answer to my moped question in the last pages of the technical appendices you get to by first clicking "road racing".