Author Topic: Q about fuel and ignition shut off for stock class motorcycles  (Read 3363 times)

Offline gearheadr90s

• New folks
My friend and I are bringing our street bikes to run in the production class.  We'll be in the 125mph class.  I just got my rule book Friday evening, and I'm sitting here looking at it and it says all bikes require "an ignition kill switch and fuel pump shut off, both actuated by a lanyard attached to the rider."

I'm confused about the mention of a fuel pump shut off, as our bikes don't have pumps, just gravity feed from the tank.  Is there a shut off that we need to plumb in?  And I'm not familiar with the idea of a lanyard-actuated ignition kill switch.  What do we need to do for that?

Obviously, I'm totally green on all of this.  I hope to have a great time making my virgin run on June 23rd, and would appreciate any help that would get help me make sure we show up prepared and ready to enjoy the event safely.  Any other sage words of advice are REALLY appreciated!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Q about fuel and ignition shut off for stock class motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:11:01 AM »
Someone else just asked about the lanyard switch. Click on this link.
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,488.0.html

The rule book is confusing. If you don't have a fuel pump, you don't need a fuel pump shutoff.

The lanyard switch is in addition to the stock ignition shut off. The lanyard attaches to your leathers so that if you fall off, the bike doesn't motor on without you.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline gearheadr90s

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:33:19 AM »
Dean,
Thanks for the help.  I'd been thinking that about the fuel pump (and lack of).

My next question on the lanyard kill is based on some research I've just been doing on the 'net.  Is it just something like the sort of switch you wire into your circuit, and it's mounted onto the handlebars near your controls?  Looks like I'm finding some results for those on the web.

Thanks again.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:49:34 AM »
see post
http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,1617.0.html
and watch the video.  The lanyard that is flopping around is supposed to be attached to the rider.   :|
that is the part you need  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 01:00:20 AM »
The lanyard is a plug in that shuts off the engine if the rider leaves the bike. I'm not a bike guy but I have seen this question enough times to know that somebody sells what you need.

Offline gearheadr90s

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 01:08:43 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I missed the link the first time I read Dean's reply (a little late to be up in Indiana right now).  Got it, and I understand the part I need to get.  I imagine I can order it quickly if I can't find it locally.  Many thanks!

gh

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 02:04:07 AM »
Just make sure you get the type that interrupts your circuit and not the grounding style---those are common on dirtbikes and not suited for your needs.
Look at MPS and Pingel
http://www.mpsracing.com/products/MPS/hc01.asp
http://www.pingelonline.com/kill_switches.htm
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline RayKimbro

• Go fast, be safe - don't mess up
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 02:41:05 PM »
Welcome! What kind of motorcycle are you and your friend bringing to Maxton?

Please keep in mind that the record in the class in which you enter * NOT what you think the bike's top-speed is * determines which safety requirements are applicable to you & your equipment.

If anything seems unclear  or ambiguous, ASK! the folks that make the decisions frequent these boards, and along w/the experienced racers, are the best source for answers to your questions.

Don't BS on the track - that's what the internet is for.

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 10:39:13 PM »
MPS and Pingle both make the kill switches you need. MPS is cheaper but only fits a 7/8 bar. There is enough meat in the MPS switch to bore it out to inch if needed. The Pingle costs more but they make both a 7/8 and 1 inch switch. I have an MPS on my Busa and a Pingle on my Harley. Both work fine, just depends on cost and ease of fit for your application. If you go with the MPS, tell Dan to start sponsoring LSR in addition to drag racing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:21:38 PM by Rick Roberts »
ECTA 200 Club