Author Topic: LSR Camaraderie  (Read 2753 times)

Offline hayaboosta

LSR Camaraderie
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:00:46 PM »
El Mirage June 10 9am-  As I rolled my Busa to Tech on a device that plugs into your receiver hitch and carries the front wheel I banked too far and broke a steering stop.  I did not know it happened until it was noticed by tech.  A new steering stop was constructed in a very short time with my teammates and hardware and the drill/bits and tap set from Richard, the main wrench of Bob Morelands effort. 

The Moreland crew was eating what looked and smelled to be a fantastic breakfast when I interrupted them for assistance.  I was offered the food several times, but I was on a mission.  Bob helped out, John Noonan arrived from tech with his side hack and we were in his spot, he let us use his pit space (we were in his way but he would not let us move) AND lowered his awning for shade.

We made a run, and returned for seconds.

Three vehicles from the front of staging I go to fire the bike to get some heat in it and there is no fuel pump or starter.  WTF??  I drove it off the course!  Maybe since I am running with no fairings the wires were whipped around and caused a problem?  We pulled over into the 200 MPH lane and thrashed for somewhere around an hour.  During that time we were inundated with “What do you need?” What can I do for you?” from the competitors passing us in staging going for their second run.  John Noonan ran over and asked what was up, threw questions/suggestions at us and said; you know where the trailer is if there is anything on the bike (side car) you need, use it.

After checking much of the wiring/relays I thought I might try an ECU.  Connie Beavers and Nick Nicolaides were pitted near by and they run a nitrous and turbo Hayabusa (Connie ran  186.571 and Nick punched out a 198.559)  I asked if the had a spare ECU I could try.  Connie stated she was going to unload and make a third run, but if I needed the ECU to take it.  It turned out it was not compatible, but what a gesture of generosity.  We did steal Noonans’ ECU, but it was not the problem.

The right handle bar on/off rocker switch was/is the problem and I was able to make a second run prior to the end of the event.

Over all, thanks to my teammates of Brad and Sue Ann Thompson, Dave (Byke Engineering) and Britt (my neighbor) for their assistance.  The unselfishness of my competitors, and LSR comrades is something that you do not see in this world much anymore.  I thank everyone that has helped me live my LSR dream. 

Scott
1350 A-BG (this meet)
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: LSR Camaraderie
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »
Scott:

There's nothing special about your story, I'm so pleased to say.  You've discovered first-hand why so many of us allow ourselves to become afflicted with land speed racing.  My personal story:  A few years ago at Bonneville I qualified on a record but wanted to re-gear for the return run the next morning.  I needed a different chain -- so the guy pitted next to me lent me one, offering to help run it in, and so on.  It was his record I was trying to break!

Welcome.  And -- wait'll you meet the nice people, instead of such as Moreland and Noonan!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 01:36:52 PM »
Seconded. 

I'm buying a house so a 1000 mile round trip to go racing isn't real high on the "financial priorities"...  My wife, uncle, and I made a serious shoestring budget trip.  At the end it was shade or gas money.  So I filled up the tank and we left with bike, tools, food, and gas. 

When it got hot we started draping sleeping bags over open truck doors but it was clear nothing was really going to prevent a sunburn.  Willie Buchta, (beautiful silver homemade harley sidecar) camped next to us said something like "you need shade?  I got shade for you" and came out of his trailer with a bunch of pipes, pvc, and canvas that assembled into a perfect 10x10 canopy.  We used screwdrivers for tent stakes and anchored it over the tailgate of the truck for a picnic/bike-work area. 

It is tough enough to get my wife to accompany me to somewhere without running water and flush toilets - I am CERTAIN that if Willie had not come out with some shade, we would have been leaving Saturday.  Instead, I got to stay and run my personal best!

Awesome people..  Really awesome people.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 04:10:59 PM »
Scott,that pretty much sums up what you can expect from nearly everyone you will meet in LSR. I would bet you could assemble a complete bike just from parts folks would lend you at Bonneville.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:05:36 PM »
............it's the same over here....it's the best part of the sport!!!

last meet I took a rough '63 delivery over to the lake....I was very conscious of the point that it was fragile , and  underprepared ,I was worried it would get stranded somewhere and I'd have to fight off willing helpers to sort it out :-D :-D 'cause that would have been embarrassing.These are the most resourceful and helpful people you'll ever play games with. I guess SS Slim's point about borrowing a chain from a record holder in your class says it all! Real Gentlemen.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.