Author Topic: Data logger info needed  (Read 11289 times)

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
Data logger info needed
« on: June 12, 2007, 11:48:26 PM »
I'm looking to get info to help with tuning my old BSA, so I want to get a data logger. I would like to have an EGT sensor & an A/F sensor. I guess I should get one to help with future, more sophisticated engines, so maybe rpm & boost also. Anyone have any suggestions, good or bad, about available loggers? Any used ones around? It will be only used on a bike, so it doesn't have to have too many bells & whistles.

Thanks in advance,

Matt Shuss

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Data logger info needed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 10:04:03 AM »
"It'll only be used on a bike" -- so therefore you don't care if it's not as good as you can get, or does this imply you don't need a unit that'll do everything and come with great support?

Sorry -- don't mean to sound snippy.  Anyway, get a MoTeC from Dave Dahlgren.  There's one on our ZX12R nitrous bike, there's one on our EX250 (yes, a tiny little Ninja 250) turbo bike.

Dave is on this forum.  He's Also Engine Management Systems (www.enginemanagementsystem.com).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 11:55:48 AM »

Motec is good if you want to tie in efi or ignition. If you just want data look at the racepac system, if money is no problem... otherwise check this out,
www.aimsports.com
good luck
Kent

Offline MattS

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »
"It'll only be used on a bike" -- so therefore you don't care if it's not as good as you can get, or does this imply you don't need a unit that'll do everything and come with great support?

No, the whole sentence was "It will be only used on a bike, so it doesn't have to have too many bells & whistles."

I've seen loggers with 30 channels & inputs for suspension tuning, G meters, clutch & driveshaft, manifold pressure  etc. Plus, I don't have a ton of money to spend.

I'm just looking for something to aid in tuning because I have limited test & tune opportunities.

I've seen the MyChron4, Motec ADL & SDL and the Racepak Hot Tack.

Anyone have first hand knowledge on these?

Matt

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 01:27:49 PM »
Excuse me -- I didn't mean to diss you -- I was just teasing.  Yes, the MoTeC might have more than you need.  I don't have much experience with other brands (save one that I won't mention but obviously didn't like). 

We enjoy having the flexibility of the MoTeC and Dave Dahlgren -- but as someone else noted, the EFI and ignition and other things that the MoTeC can control are important in our application.

Best wishes to you -- and stop by if you're at Bonneville.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline MattS

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 01:51:30 PM »
Excuse me -- I didn't mean to diss you -- I was just teasing. 

No problem, Slim. I know how e-mails lack the nuances of face-to-face communication, so I never take those things in a negative way. Now, if you said my grand-daughter was ugly, there might be a problem.  :-D

Yep, I'll see you on the salt.

Matt

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 02:00:03 PM »
You might want to check out www.innovatemotorsports.com
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 04:19:53 PM »
You might want to check out www.innovatemotorsports.com
Doug Odom in big ditch

That is what we have used and we are happy with it.  To do what you want to do you need the LM-1 and Aux-box (LM-3 I think) and an EGT probe.  About $600 for all.  They also have other options that will do what you want to do.

One nice thing with theirs is weld a bung into any vehicle and you can easily read air/fuel on that vehicle for tuning.  I use mine on multiple vehicles.  It is a wide band and very accurate and will calibrate to new O2 sensors.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Nitroholic

• Dirty 2 Club Member
  • New folks
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 11:14:53 PM »
Matt,

The Racepak Hot tack is no long available.  Plus its use was primarily for snowmobiles and watercraft.  The one from Racepak you will use if you decide to go that way is the V300 line of data recorders.  I have multiple systems from Racepak using the V300 on our roadsters and they are awsome.  Engine, Driveshaft(or in your case output shaft and wheel rpm) battery voltage, egt's, pressures, temps, mph, etc... The V300 recorders are also offered in motorcycle kits.  If you want you can talk to me at the next LSR club meeting.

Donny

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 12:38:32 AM »
Good show this weekend Donny. Congratulations on your club entry.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Nitroholic

• Dirty 2 Club Member
  • New folks
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 01:19:49 AM »
Thanks Mike.  I appreciate it.  It has been one of the most amazing feelings to accomplish that.  I am very fortunate to be partnered with Dave and John to let me do this with them.  Just one more club to go.  The Bonneville 200 mph club.  Hopefully this year.  Thanks again!!!

Offline MattS

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 12:31:33 AM »
Thanks for the input from everyone. I guess it's between the Motec SDL, Racepak V300, MyChron 4 and the LM-1 & AuxBox. Motec's west coast office is about a mile from my house and Innovate is about 15 miles away. I'll probably swing by & see if they'll give me a discount because I'm so handsome  :-D  ....... well, maybe not.

Matt

landracing

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 01:14:56 AM »
Matt,

If not get ahold of Dave Dahlgren, he is priced right for the Bonneville racer... Im sure they are a real stickler on their prices, as these companies get people all of the time asking for discounts.

I talked briefly with two reps from two major ECU companies,, you would be suprised...

Jon

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 07:34:06 AM »
Matt you have just listed them either conciously or not in the order of being useful and worth the effort.. The SDL the best of the group and the LM-1 a toy at best..The best is to go with someone that knows about what you need to get done and has more answers than questions..
Dave

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 11:00:37 AM »
...............LM-1 a toy at best...................Dave

Here is what he asked for:

I'm looking to get info to help with tuning my old BSA, so I want to get a data logger. I would like to have an EGT sensor & an A/F sensor. I guess I should get one to help with future, more sophisticated engines, so maybe rpm & boost also. Anyone have any suggestions, good or bad, about available loggers? Any used ones around? It will be only used on a bike, so it doesn't have to have too many bells & whistles.........Matt Shuss

The LM-1/LM-3 will do those functions and more accurately and can be setup by an individual that is not real computer savvy.  It will data log for viewing on a computer for over 40 minutes and that ought to be plenty long for what we are doing. They also have a very active web site where help is always available.  For someone who is not trying to control engine functions I see nothing wrong with this approach.  It has worked well for us and some of us our on limited budgets.

I would be interested in a post that compared these products features and costs so a person could make a decission on those and not on name calling on different products.

c ya,

Sum