Author Topic: News from this weekend  (Read 8974 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: News from this weekend
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 10:02:02 PM »
What's wrong with Monday/Tuesday? I'm there and I don't know what's happening. If they come to impounds I know, otherwise I read about it when Ed posts it.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 10:45:23 PM »
Welcome to the 21st Century. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 01:14:34 AM »
Its a dedicated procedure to do this. I have been doing it since 1998, starting back then, coming into town several times a day on the salt to give a report.. Then technology has let me report on the salt, at the event, and sometimes reporting a speed on the website before the vehicle pulls off the course. Which in one case was the Burklands.... They posted their 413 mph record return. I had the speeds and posted them on the Internet before they even stopped the vehicle. When Betty got to the other end and called. I think Gene's sister, to let them know the speed, they told them they already knew because it was on the website... That is good fast reporting... I have done it for years as a courtesy to the public, MOSTLY on my wifes dime.. Thank her. My money goes into the race bike...

As the years gone on to recent, I have been blessed with donations to the website to help off set the costs. Would like to do more, however Wendover and the salt flats technology is at a standstill.

And I can say first hand, running two bikes (joe's and mine), doing salt talks (at the time, until Jon and Nancy have started organizing and running it), taking pictures, finding who and what I'm reporting on and trying to keep track of 400+ entries on the salt (which can't be done with one person), staying late for any exciting passes, being up early for the return runs, thinking about what I want to do with the bike, working on the bike, all in all is a very daunting task. My reports will have spelling errors, and sometimes my fingers type faster then I can think, the speeds and preliminary reports are what is known at that particular time, and in my own interpretation.

I try to do the best I can, but I have been the only one to do this for sometime...

What I need is a better connection, modem speeds on wireless card, and sometimes battling a no signal, meaning I have to drive around the salt to find the best connection, which is hard to do at times when your in line with race vehicle is frustrating. I try to put the website as priority. If you think he could help with connection stuff, please get ahold of me. But I have researched this every year and nothing is new for me, unless funds are not an option then there is tons of options.

I cant thank Stainless enough, when it was he and I at BUB's and WOS, he worked on the bike without my help, so I could go and talk, take  pictures and be a social butterfly...

At present I only cover live the events on the Bonneville Salt Flats, can't afford to goto all the events. Sometimes I make an appearance to the other venues.. I have been to all of them, and when there I have reported: El Mirage, Muroc, Texas Mile, Maxton, Bonneville and Lake Gairdner Australia...

Jon

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »
I certainly appreciate all the hard work you put into this,Jon. Frankly, I don't know how you do it, except I know what a bundle of energy you are. So a big thanks for all that you do to keep us informed!!!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Dave Haller

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2007, 11:43:09 AM »
I don't know about the rest of us racers out there but I can say without this site I would be lost. Jon has brought us up to speed with the Bonneville meets over the years which many of us would not have a clue without his efforts. There have been years I haven't been able to make it but thanks to this site I have been kept up to date with passes, results and noteworthy events. I would hope all of us out there could come up with some kind of plan to assist him either with funding or even reporting out at the meet. A big thanks Jon, I don't plan on missing anymore meets over the next several years. My Lakester is ready for it's first trial runs this year and who knows after that.
Dave Haller #93 A/FL

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2007, 12:22:23 PM »
The timing computer is down loaded at the end of the day. The person that posts the run information (ed Saferak) lives some distance from the lake bed. So in general the data doesn't get into the web site until sometime Monday night. There is not the best wireless reception on the lake bed, my cell phone works better on the east end and not so good at the west end. SCTA and it's volunteers do their best and at this time you have to wait for it. OR have some one call you about a certain run.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2007, 07:51:29 PM »
The results are posted on the SCTA web site

try using  www.scta-bni.org

Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »
Just checked and the results are posted. In less than 24 hours I would say that's a GREAT job !!

Tom

Offline WildBro

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2007, 10:20:31 PM »
 Good to see the fastest bike was NAKED :-D   Nice job to Scott Horner

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 12:31:27 AM »
Yeah Scott was cookin... 
Shane