Author Topic: Post PSA numbers here  (Read 10958 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Post PSA numbers here
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »
I dug around and found this old topic -- on prostate cancer.  We've talked about it more than once, and we all know of racers (and others, too) that have not survived the disease.  I've told you that I'm participating in a big nationwide prostate cancer prevention trial, and here's some fresh information about that.

First of all, the "SELECT" Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial is supervised and operated by the Southwest Oncology Group in San Antonio, Texas.  The study was begun about five years or so ago and included something like 32,700 men from around the country.  The study was organized to be a proper research function -- double-blind, large group, and so on.  The basic idea was to discover if either Selenium or Vitamin E will prevent prostate cancer. 

Participants each got a supply of supplements to take daily.  I took one capsule that may or may not have been Vitamin E and one that may or may not have been Selenium.  We had six-month follow-ups and other ways for them to keep an eye on us, including having our regular doctors get information from the trial and the trial getting information from our docs.

Last week I received a phone call from the local study office, and that call was followed up by a letter.  Here's a quote from the letter:

"The Study leadership now has enough data to be able to tell you to stop taking the Study Supplements, although SELECT will continue.  We have found that it is unlikely that selenium or vitamin E will prevent prostate cancer even if you continue to take Study Supplements."

"The data to date suggest, but do not prove, that vitamin E may slightly increase the chance of getting prostate cancer, and that selenium may increase the chance of getting diabetes mellitus.  We want to emphasize that these findings are not proven  We will learn more about the effects of the Study Supplements as we continue to monitor your health.  Your safety is our priority."

"You may also visit the SELECT website, www.crab.org/select, for more information."

"We know know that selenium and vitamin E do not prevent prostate cancer."

I've quoted only a part of the letter, but didn't leave out anything that might change the meaning.  If you're interested -- visit the website and read more about it. 

In the meantime -- there's the result of some research.  Take care of yourselves, gentlemen.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:39:04 AM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 12:35:16 AM »
I missed this topic last time around but have some input now.

Last year during the greasy finger exam a polup was found. It was small but cancerous. In my case my PSA #'s were always low, so no positive sign of an absence of Prostate cancer. Had the Prostate removed by robotic surgery. Played Golf 2 weeks later.

To answer the question, PSA now .007. GET CHECKED OUT!

Many options available. If you want to talk my number is 619-401-8084.

Tom

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 01:22:42 PM »
Mine was .7 in October. When I got ready for the finger I said "I hate this more then anything in this world". The doctors reply was, "well if its any consolation to you this wont be the highlite of my day either". It just makes me nervous when they have both hands on your shoulders while doing it.

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
Ahhhhhhhh, glorius geezer-hood - listening to a bunch of "well experienced gentlemen" relate unpleasant memories!

But is IS way better than listening to how nice/fast you were.

My appt. (date?) is Wed - full stats after that.

David in Durango
Crusty Old Fart Extraordinaire & Icky Old Man

Get your check up, keep the lines on the salt long!
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 03:42:18 PM »
 I was getting my annual exam and I said to my Dr. "yah know doc, I'm starting to get used to this I think". He replied "Well I just don't want you to start liking it".  :-D I started getting the colonoscopy last year. I hated the prep, liked the nap tho. I also liked the "knowing" that all was well when I left the office.
 PegLegCraig

Offline k.h.

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
As a survivor, one learns a bit about the issue if one wants to lower the odds of recurrence.  If your numbers are high, you may want to read: "Beating Prostate Cancer: Hormonal Therapy & Diet" by Dr. Charles "Snuffy" Meyers, Medical Oncologist, Nutrition Expert, Prostate Cancer Survivor.
Rather than lots of expensive supplements, I do: No grilled meat, very little red meat, no farmed fish, lots of lycopene ( I eat organic tomato paste by the spoonfull, it's an acquired taste), pomegranate, orange juice, raw broccoli, apples, yadda, yadda, yadda, cut out most dairy, use soy based foods if you can stand it, red wine, and things like lentils sprouted in a pan of water with a dollop of live yogurt added, fermented foods such as sauerkraut.  Mediterranean diet, Middle Eastern diet, low fat, cut out the candy, yadda, yadda . .

Prostate Cancer Research Institute (PCRI)  (http://www.prostate-cancer.org/) in LA is a good source of info.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2008, 12:37:49 AM »
Everything k.h. cut out I eat. Then I had it cut out. Only good thing was the red wine, but it was to late. Well, time for another glass.

Seriously, 1 out of 6 guys will have Prostate Cancer. Most will die with it but not from it!

The main thing is to get checked out. PC, not that PC, is slow growing in most cases, so you have time to do research and figure out the best treatment if you are dianosed with PC

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2008, 10:47:37 AM »
have the blood drawn before dr. coldfinger or 10-14 days after . the exam can inflate the psa numbers. mine were .09 last time. a colonoscopy is essential for those over 40.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »
At my last exam my p.s.a. level was "scary" high. Dr. sent me to a Urologist and during "small talk" I mentioned my bike riding addiction (pedal, 30-50 miles daily) Took a few weeks off and voila` dropped like a stone.  Thank goodness.  J.B. :cheers:
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 10:43:16 AM »
Just got my annual check up, PSA 1.1, I've been advised to change my diet, lose weight, exercise more.
 My wife said "told you so", I hate that.
 I have a bunch of New Years resolutions for 09 now.
 The first one is to show up at the start line in a baggy fire suit  :wink:
 PegLegCraig

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »
hey craig
thanks for the JCB kit... havent finished the book yet, guess i'm a slow reader... are you here or still playing with Kiwi's?
kent

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
I get a PSA 2 times a year and the finger every year. Lost to many friends over the years. I also had throat cancer, a 7 artery bypass and a total knee replacement. Don't want any more surgery. Oh, had cateracts removed from both eyes a couple of months ago. Take care of your selves we only get one lap.

Happy New Year to all.

:cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jmooer

• New folks
  • 64 funny cars 71 ocir
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »
My last exam the psa was 0.5. had colonoscopy three month's ago. get it done.It's a snap.the prep is the worst thing about it. Kent best of luck to your Dad.........giant Jim

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 08:46:40 PM »
Thanks Jim
He got treatment last year and is doing pretty good.... his numbers are pretty low and seems happy..... cancer shouldn't be a death sentence...like they say, ya just gotta find it early
Kent

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 12:39:07 PM »
I had the colonoscomy and the down the throat deal at the same time. I asked them if they would mind doing the throat first. I take pills and everything is under control now. The Vesco deal scared me so after showing some signs of trouble I went in and had it all done. Not the most pleasant experience going thru the clean out procedure. I was out for the rest of it.