Author Topic: Fuel ?  (Read 3890 times)

Offline MotoHawk

• New folks
Fuel ?
« on: June 06, 2007, 02:40:28 PM »
I seem to have forgotten to check if the gas for a guest running P-P is supplied at El Mirage?
Let me re-phrase that, is there "EVENT" gas for June 9 ?  Probably not, I will fuel up before arriving.
See you Saturday, Mike
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 02:42:37 PM by MotoHawk »

Offline jimmy six

Re: Fuel ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 02:05:18 AM »
There is no "event" gas at El Mirage. Any record setting vehicle will have it's gas checked during the impounds procedure.

It is written on this site that gasoline is available at George Callaways "farm " which borders the lake bed on the West side. If it were me I would bring my own gasoline. There are no sealed tanks.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:13:43 AM »
Do not run pump gas.... :mrgreen:

Offline MotoHawk

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 11:34:35 AM »

Oh boy, I have a lot to learn!
I am a bonafide greenhorn.
Having lots of fun though.

Offline MotoHawk

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
Any recommendations? :|

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 05:05:35 PM »
When retail pump gas purchased on the corner is not legal to race with, or when event gas is not available at the meet, there is something wrong with the picture.
It makes one consider beating the system.

"Don't ever corner anything that is meaner, tougher, and smarter than you are, as it is gonna leave a mark." :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 11:15:51 PM »
Jack does not know what we will or will not accept. He is not in either the motorcycle impound trailer or the car impound area.

Pump gas from your "typical" premium 91 octane pump does have a D.C. number larger than allowable in our rule book. Russ O'daly,  Tom Evans, and Dan Warner have been given an allowable D.C. number and the premium gasoline's checked have were under that number. Arco seems to have more alcohol than most.

Some of the new vehicles today will not run on racing gas and need what is recommended by the manufacturer. I am not familiar with the needs if the factory computer is altered.

I don't know what you are planning on running but unless you feel you have an entry which will break a record I would not worry too much about it. Problems are coming for mixing different brands of gas especially normal pump gas with any brand of racing gas. This has shown to be a deadly combination for the fuel checker and if over the number will negate a record. Oxygenated racing gas is just about guaranteed to be over the limit.

If you have any concern I would ask the person tecking your vehicle if the gas can be checked.  Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 09:27:21 PM »
"Pump" gas varies widely from brand to brand, from winter to summer, and from your favorite station to an identical one a few miles away.

Race gas is a lot more predictable.

If you are running a two-stroke, take your gas and have it tested before the run with and without two-stroke oil.

Oh, and fuel heating is costing you 3-9 cents a gallon. The pumps are calibrated for 60 degrees, and if it's warmer you get less than the pump reading. Billions a year is the estimate. It costs too much to put automatic  temperature-compensation on the pumps they say.

Except in Canada where it is more often LESS than 60 degrees. All the pumps have automatic temperature-compensation. And so do the wholesalers in the U.S.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 11:30:21 PM »
JD can not begin to speak for what I know.
Among other things, the guest entry that generated the question is not subject to any gas checks. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline MattS

• http://www.wheeltramps.com
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 03:38:47 PM »
JD can not begin to speak for what I know.
Among other things, the guest entry that generated the question is not subject to any gas checks. :roll:

Yep, as a guest, you can't set any records. So no impound gas check. But as Jimmy Six says, the best way is to bring in some gas & have it checked if you are running for points. At our last club meeting, the SCTA rep said the SCTA addressed the pump gas situation and will allow pump gas up to certain D.C. number. I don't know that number off hand, but will find out at tech. They tested various brands of pump gas & they all fell below the new D.C. number. Heresay, but it's all I have.

Matt