Author Topic: Saw the Dr today...  (Read 18879 times)

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Saw the Dr today...
« on: June 05, 2007, 05:14:32 PM »
They took new x-rays. My shoulder has dropped and moved in which has caused the bones to displace further. When I saw the X-ray I pretty much knew what the doc was going to say.

Xray day of crash:

Today's Xray:

So I'm scheduled to have outpatient surgery next Tuesday evening, 6/12, to have a plate put in to realign the bones and allow them to set and heal in their proper placement. It actually won't change my recovery time much as healing after the surgery is quicker then healing without it. Sounds like I can get back on the bike by mid/late summer. The doctor rolls his eyes & laughs at my enthusism on wanting to get back on but he's young enough that he gets it! :D (Todd asked, does this mean she can't mow the lawn to which he answered if she has a riding mower she can! :roll: ) Then the doc tells me not to fall on it again, duh, like I wanted to the first time! :-D

Looks like we'll be skipping the June meet. :( As much as we wanted to go, Todd's had to drive me everywhere since I'm not to clear to drive and now the time away from the shop for this, the shop has suffered a bit and I just don't think we can swing the money to go or the time away.

Oh well, I was overdue for a surgery anyway. Haven't had one since '99, this was damn near a record for me! I would have preferred not to have a 4-6" scar across my shoulder but what can you do! It's not like I was entering any beauty contests anyway! :-D

Well that's it for now!  :mrgreen:
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Harold Bettes

• Firebase High Country
Re: Saw the Dr today...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:40:48 PM »
Deb,

Be sure and request titanium 8-) instead of stainless parts!:-D

My youngest son works in a place that makes plates and screws and rods and all kinds of joints and bone things. And he takes his job of inspection on the titanium line very seriously as do all his co-workers. You will do well.  :wink:

I failed to get the proper reconnect after a serious A-C separation a very long time ago and have regretted it ever since I started to turn old! :lol: It doesn't take too many years for that macho stuff to fall by the wayside.

About the scars......Scars add physical character to your persona.  :? As in Paris Hilton is plastic and you are for real.

Those of us out in the West wish you well and a speedy recovery! :-)

Good Luck and Best Regards,
HB2 :-D
If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 06:39:56 PM »
I didn't think to ask if it was titanium! When they call to give me my surgery time I'll have to ask!

The old age achy thing was a concern expressed to me by some. I was trying to forgo yet another scar! :lol:
I figure with all the surgery I've had in the past I'm bound to be one of those achy arthritic elders. That's
kind of why Todd & I have been putting so much emphasis on getting in shape this year. The numbers are
climbing and the signs are there that we're starting to get older so we figure it's time to nip it in the bud
and get as healthy as we can now before it's too late!

As for the scars adding character, wow do I have a LOT of character! :-D

Thanks for the well wishes, they're greatly appreciated!
Deb

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 07:35:39 PM »
Deb:
Have SSS's tattoo guy make that scar into an arrow that points at the Utah I-80 Exit 4 sign directing you to the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Coming from the East, have the arrow head pointing away from your neck.

Now, we have just turned and undesirable "character mark" into a life's direction symbol.

Just get well FAST.

I was 55 years old when I ran the Honolulu Marathon. You are still young.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 07:53:02 PM »
I didn't realize they ran marathons in Honolulu that long ago...  :-o Was Hawaii a state then?  :roll:
See ya in a couple months...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 07:54:29 PM »
Thanks Freud!
Todd said he could design the maxton track & bend for me over the scar and something about a cone! LOL
The abuse is unending! :roll: hehehe

Wow, marathon, I'm impressed! Don't think that's something I'll ever do. All the screws & bolts used to hold me
together don't lend themselves well to running! Not to mention I don't find it very fun! LOL Guess I'll have to
renew my pool pass. That seems to be the exercise of choice for me at this point!

I usually do heal quickly as I'm not one to just sit around. Hopefully this will hold true this time! I like fast! :-D

Deb

landracing

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 08:03:56 PM »
Deb,

I have some 200 mph tape and a couple salty screws that will fix that broken bone right up...
And you could go racing by the next meet....

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 08:13:23 PM »
Tell the truth Ferd.
He only ran 60 ft with all the beer he grabbed from the store to last him the distance before they caught him.
You are in good company.
Vesco set the MC LSR with a broken collar bone from an endo in a Go Cart.
Marcia drove the MC liner in part because she had a hurt  from a "BATWOMEN" movie stunt.
You have gone faster on an open bike than either of them ever did. :wink:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 08:47:36 PM »
Sweet! Thanks for pointing that out Jack! I like being in good company! :-D

Someone at work the other day, after hearing the whole story, looked at me in disbelief and asked, was it worth it?

I was like HELL YEAH, Dude, I went 212 mph and can't wait to do it again!!!!! Somehow that's usually met with
the roll of the eyes! I just laugh!

I found myself watching the motorcycle racers, the road race ones over the past few days. One of them wrecked &
hurt his leg & got on the back-up bike to continue the race and then race again the next day. I found myself thinking
and even said to Todd, look, they let them ride injured! :lol: That of course was met with the point of well when
there's that much money on the line, they let them race!

So, I guess I'll just suck it up & take my licks. September isn't THAT far away! :lol:

(still chuckling bout the 200mph tape Jon!)
Deb

Offline TURBO KING

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 08:49:24 PM »
Deb:

I am doing a report on the Tuatara lizard from New Zealand  using the PC with my 7 year old son.

He leaves to go to the bathroom.

He comes back, and I have this post up.

He sees the X-rays, asks about it, and I tell him a friend of mine had an accident and needs surgery.

We talk about how the bones need a piece of metal and screws to grow back together because they are broken.

An hour later, bedtime, it's book and a bedtime story.  We say prayers, and say one for you too.

He sits up in bed and points to his collarbone, and says "Is this the bone your friend broke?"

I say "Yes, pal, very good, you figured that out!"  (I didn't point to it or show it to him before.)

He says "When she tries to move her head, does it go like THIS?!"

And he puts it WAY down on his shoulder and arm, and rolls it around like Quasimodo!!

I am laughing my ass off and saying "No, buddy, she is OK to move her head, it just hurts a lot".

Priceless.

Hope you feel better Deb after the surgery.  Scars are cool.  I am no orthopedist, but I think it really will heal better with the plate, IMHO.

Walt
RCC Super Ultra Kit
Harry's Case/Head Mods
Built, tuned, ridden and owned by me
635 honest rwhp, capable of more
244 mph at Maxton
Top Speed Overall Maxton 2007
Winner 2007 Super Streetbike Magazine Top Speed Shootout
Thanks Richard P, DaveO, Rick S

Super Kaz

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 09:30:05 PM »
Deb,

I'm Sorry for the Bad News ,But that is a Heck of X-RAY !

I do allot of Work/Rehab with Professional athletes as well as being one myself.

I traveled with Team Suzuki for a couple seasons as well Broke a few Bones Myself 8-) !

See if You Dr.can prescribe you a Bone Re-generator  after the surgery:??

My racer's were back in 3-4 weeks racing after Compound Fractures of  both Radius,and Ulna's :-o 

"NOT RECOMMENDED,but it was their JOB+ They were KIDS"

Not sure if will work with a Titanium Plate,but it's worth a Try :oops:.

Might want to start taking some Extra Calcium also to Help Mother Nature do her thing :wink:!

Hope you Heal up Fast,and Milk for all it's worth :-D

Good Luck,and God Bless you Both,

Kaz..............

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 11:54:01 PM »
Deb, WOW, that looks broken... I was able to visit this post earlier, but only had time to take a quick shot at Freud, was on my way to a HOA meeting, ya can't slack or you miss your chance. 
Sorry to hear they are going in, remind them it would be nice if you didn't end up with any problems you didn't bring in with you.  DO NOT hesitate to go right back it you have any fever or pain issues, not trying to scare you but staff infections are probably the worse "side affect" of any surgery these days. 
Get well, you have the right attitude, and the support of all of us out here.  Hope to see you guys on the salt one of these days.  It is addictive....  :wink:   see  ya soon
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

bak189

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 11:32:32 AM »
If I recall correctly,  Don Vesco broke both collar-bones a couple of times.........I remember him
roadracing with us at the Goleta Airport strapped up................I myself raced a couple of sidecar roadraces in Europe with a busted collar-bone.....in order to get your start money in those days you had to make the staring grid.  Ah, yes,
young people!!!!!!!!!!  Good luck, Deb

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 06:48:10 PM »
Walt,
 That is great, thanks for sharing, kids are great! Todd and I were laughing as he reenacted it for me! LOL
Glad I can be used as a teaching tool & not just a good example of what not to do! :D Sounds like you have
a smart kiddo there! Thanks for the prayers, that's very sweet & touching.

Everyone else, I love the anecdotes about the LSR greats and the stories of what y'all have done. Makes me
feel a little more not so bad about this! Gives me encouragement & hopes of success the next time! I'm hoping
I can get it right before I run out of bikes to ride! (hehehehehe just kidding!)

Thanks everyone, all the posts are really awesome and helpful while I wait out the healing. What a great
group of racers I'm proud to be a part of (and happy I pulled a decent speed before I toppled over! hehehe)
Deb

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »
Surgery went well(even with the power outages at the hospital), it
took about 2.5-3 hours actual surgery time(she was out of my site for
about 4 hours which I didn't think was going to be near the concern
it was for me). We got there at 3 yesterday and were back home by
midnite though.

Here's a preliminary pic of the repair(plate and 6 screws). We will
get a full xray in a couple weeks.

They ground up(pulverized I believe was the word?) the 1.25" long
center portion of the bone that was broken free from the inner and
outer and use it as a grafting agent to help promote growth between
plated portions.

We won't be able to see the cut(remove the dressing) for 7 days, but
I can't imagine it's going to be that substantial considering the
size of the dressing.

Again the doc and others acted like there'd be more pain then what
she's having and is only claiming and mainly eating pain pills for
the neck pain. So all is well and I'm glad to have my girl back home.

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes and prayers... they seem to
have worked as always, couldn't ask for better.
Todd