Author Topic: 4 Rear Axle Lugs??  (Read 7441 times)

Offline bharmon77

4 Rear Axle Lugs??
« on: June 05, 2007, 02:14:43 PM »
Would someone please confirm what I think the rules say; 5 lugs min. on the rear (drive) axle of a lakester? No 4 lug wheels and axles driving regardless of engine size?

dwarner

Re: 4 Rear Axle Lugs??
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:05:14 PM »
"Vehicles with tires having a diameter of 29” or greater, or with wheels over 17” in diameter must use a wheel manufactured for racing or reinforced as below. Wheels must be attached with at least 5 studs with a minimum diameter of ½” and 1” lug nuts. In either of the previous cases, wheels shall be manufactured for racing purposes or reinforced as follows; REINFORCEMENT SHALL BE DONE by welding the entire area of attachment between the rim and the center section on either the inside or outside of the wheel."

The above paragraph from page 19 only mentions 5 studs for tires over 29" tall and wheel dia. in excess of 17". If you ran 26" tires on a 15" wheel in I/something lakester class I would say you are OK.

Jon could wordsmith this better.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 03:16:50 PM »
Each modification has a demonstrated history and part of the package is the lug nut minimum size also. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 04:09:44 PM »
"Vehicles with tires having a diameter of 29” or greater, or with wheels over 17” in diameter must use a wheel manufactured for racing or reinforced as below. Wheels must be attached with at least 5 studs with a minimum diameter of ½” and 1” lug nuts. In either of the previous cases, wheels shall be manufactured for racing purposes or reinforced as follows; REINFORCEMENT SHALL BE DONE by welding the entire area of attachment between the rim and the center section on either the inside or outside of the wheel."
The above paragraph from page 19 only mentions 5 studs for tires over 29" tall and wheel dia. in excess of 17". If you ran 26" tires on a 15" wheel in I/something lakester class I would say you are OK.
Jon could wordsmith this better.
DW

...just another reminder that the rules are what they say and nothing else , or as Jack would say "read the rule book"....as I may have stated somewhere before  , a friend was once charged with being "Frunk in a public place" he failed to see the point in pleading not guilty .I saw it as a great miscarriage because as you can understand he hadn't been frinking , he however had no memory of the incident .

In the extract of the rules above there is an absence of the word "all" ,rather, there are specifics " tyres over 29" or wheels over 17" "....if it ain't you it's someone else. Sometimes my special interest is prone to say " that's the same as everything " to which I reply " nothing is the same as everything".....now , that makes sense, doesn't it? :?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 11:26:42 PM »
We have 6 on a 12 inch wheel... I would say do what you think is the safest.  If you have a deviation that you think is safe, submit it and the technical specs to the special construction rep and get a ruling.   :wink: :wink: But if you are using big wheels and tires, more is better.  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 07:36:55 AM »
I would like to thank everyone for their response to my question, my car is an H class lakester and as you may have guessed the axles are 4 lug and I have purchases some good 1/2-20 ARP axle studs and 1'' hex steel lug nuts. I will take your suggestion and submit a photo to SCTA Tech complete with a steel retaining plate as the wheels are non-ferrous. The wheels are 15" and I do not expect to run tires over 28" dia. When I read the rule book I wasn't sure if the min. of 5 was for all wheels or just the large dia.

Thanks again,

BHarmon

Offline wonk123

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 04:58:26 AM »
Hi
 I haven't raced yet and am not a tech, but when starting
the build on my car I read that section as a minimum of 5 no matter what size the wheel.
I am sure if there was ever a legal battle then the lawyers would have
a field day arguing that one.

If it was referring to only wheels above 17" or 29" tires it would have said
"and must have" instead its a new sentence which says
"Wheels must be attached with at least 5 studs with a minimum diameter of ½” and 1” lug nuts."

In my opinion that is the literal interpretation of the wording
it's intent may or may not  have been different

my opinion is free and may be worth exactly that

Offline wonk123

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 05:15:13 AM »
Haven't got my rule book here BUT
if this is the only mention of lug nut minimums
then by the opposite reasoning you could run
3 lug nuts on a 26"wheel with a 28 " tire?????

at the end of the day its what the techs will allow
and you feel comfortable with

but I won't represent you in court!! oh yeah that's because I'm a barman not a lawyer

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 06:03:37 AM »
"Read the whole wheel fastening rule in the direction it is printed and you will find it is very clear, has stood the test of a legal review, and challenge.
If you choose to read only selected lines, backwards, or both ways from the middle, then there you are."  (me)
"Some rules are remedies and others are wrecks." (me):wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »
"Some rules are remedies and others are wrecks." (me) :wink:

I would say do what you think is the safest.  If you have a deviation that you think is safe, submit it and the technical specs to the special construction rep and get a ruling.   :wink: :wink: But if you are using big wheels and tires, more is better.  :-D

Two of us are basically telling you to build it stronger than you can imagine it needs to be.  :|  If you think you are there, get a ruling from John Bjorkman, 714-546-8142, jbjorkman@comcast.net and remember, he has you best interest at heart...  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 06:17:18 PM »
at the end of the day its what the techs will allow
and you feel comfortable with

but I won't represent you in court!! oh yeah that's because I'm a barman not a lawyer

Wonk , you may be closer than you think....

Now from what I understand a Barrista is someone who makes your coffee whilst a Barrister is someone who represents you at the Bar , like in Court that is, at which point (at least here) they are referred to as practising "at the Bar" as opposed to a "solicitor" who deals with legal matters outside court but is also needed to refer people to a barrister , there is then the charge known as soliciting which involves swapping a service for money...that's where the definition between some professions becomes really murky...gee whiz this language thing ain't making the rules any easier to understand....over here( down here) we calls "Lugs" "Studs"!........that's a whole Nutha story....but we've got five on our rear anyway.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline wonk123

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 06:23:58 PM »
hey goggles
yeah I knew all that, I have been a barrista for a while lol
but didnt want to confuse our northern friends with the whole
english law system.. thank god you can no longer appeal
to the privy council lol

I am building a streamliner h class with 5 nuts

BTW I am in Bathurst

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2007, 10:33:53 AM »
As a rule we call a small smoking article a long word like "Cigarette" just to avoid calling it the same as the English "F-g", and so as to stay as far away from the "Nancy Boy" term so popular with many of our forefathers.

Doncha get it ? :wink:

"A written rule is as plain as it can be made, but heavily dependant on the writing ability of the author and the reading ability of the target.
In the final analysis, you still have to read minds both ways and predict the future with whatever lessons that are in your past." (me)