Author Topic: Tuning an FI Motorcycle  (Read 12455 times)

Offline peglegcraig

Tuning an FI Motorcycle
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:57:27 PM »
 I'm not afraid to show my ignorance, so here goes. I've changed enough things on my Suzuki 1000 powered outfit that I feel I will need to "tune" a fuel injected engine for the first time. I used to "tune" two strokes years ago and rarely stuck a piston, no really.
 I will run gas, naturally aspirated...for now
 I think that a modern data logger with air fuel ratio function would be a good place to start. Add RPM and throttle position to locate where what is happening. Am I thinking along the right path? Should I include other functions? Are there any thoughts on installing these devices, things to look out for etc.?
 I will need a device to alter the fuel delivery, any opinion on Factory Pro's TEKA vs. Dynojet's Power Commander?
 I use a Pingle electric shifter with an ignition defeat. Will this affect or harm any of the proposed new equipment ?
 Thanks for your thoughts, Craig

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Tuning an FI Motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »
You are on the right track  :wink:
Logging A/F and changing the necessary portions of the map with a Pwr Cmdr is the way most do it.  The option is a Motec, Haltech, or other after market fuel injection controller.  Several old posts discuss those options. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:35:16 PM »
hey craig
depends how much $ ya wanna throw at it. Motec and other aftermarket ecu's are really good and can be really complected. Likewise not a lot of qualified people to help out when there is trouble. a power commander is probably the best and simplest way to go right now while you are still normally aspirated, lots of people and maps around. when ya put the turbo system on then look for a new ecu. for a data logger, check out that AIM system, they have a plug and play for the Suzuki's. they also have that DAVID system that also incorporates video with the data logging that's bad ass. Hey the SDRC meeting is this Thursday. Bring Laura on down and we'll get ya voted in, then Friday you can load up your 'liner and take it to el mo for a pre-tech
kent

http://www.aimsports.com/

bak189

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 09:12:59 PM »
Put carburetors on it!!!!!!!!!!! !   OOPS, I am showing my age again...........so sorry..............

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 10:01:31 PM »
bob ya coming out on sun?
ya need that tire with or without the rim?
kent

bak189

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:54:49 AM »
Kent, don't need the rim.....only the tire......However, I won't make it out Sunday.....got some tests at Mayo Clinic in AZ.
But I do plan to come to Elmo in July....hold the tire until then.....................thanks

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:21:55 AM »
hey craig
depends how much $ ya wanna throw at it. Motec and other aftermarket ecu's are really good and can be really complected. Likewise not a lot of qualified people to help out when there is trouble.

A Motec is the cheapest way to go in the end as you will not be buying anything you won't use later. They are more money up front and less on the backside of the operation..In that that they will not cost you more in aggravation or wasted time..And they are not "complected" at all.. In the lowest end unit they make you can have boost control wide band lambda sequential fuel delivery coil on plug ignition, ignition kill on shift and data logging along with tables that allow boost vs. gear position when you get to that point..
Dave

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »
 Well there are loads of data logging products to choose from, I'll figure out the best one for my needs soon and move toward the tuning issue. The standard for the GSXR in the recent past has been the Power Commander, what I am uncomfortable with is the "one map fits all" aspect of it. Sure they have loads of maps for modified GSXR's but none are quite like mine. I've not used one, so can anyone out there tell me how I might go about richening up the mixture at say 3/4 to full throttle, 9k to 12.5rpm with this system?
 The TEKA SFI from Factory Pro looks like it would be simple to use as long as you keep records of setting changes. It also has the added benefit of being used to tune other bikes not just mine. But again, I've not used one, anyone out there have some input on this tuning tool?
 Now I'm thinking that at some point, with lots of development on an engine, the control of all engine operating functions can only be supported by an aftermarket ECU on these modern engines. So I think I get what Dave is driving towards regarding MoTeC products.
 Gadszooks! The modern age...I can operate a degree wheel and dial indicator, read plugs and change jets well enough to keep things moving, but the switch to the electronic tool box is a bit daunting to me.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 11:24:22 AM »
I've stolen enough time to read a bit more and have a plan A. I'll go with an AIM unit and a power commander, I got a pwr/cmdr cheap :-) I can't wait to get started.

landracing

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 11:35:01 AM »
I been running an AIM dash for a few years now, with a Haltech ECU. I have been pretty happy with both for the most part. Does AIM offer a plug and play for your bike? I would suggest going with the Pista model or the Pro model as the strada doesnt have sufficent capabilities to log several  channels.

Im pulling about 23 channels of data with the pista and have very happy with it.

Jon

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 10:16:28 PM »
23 channels.. holey moley.... i don't even get that many on my tv :-o
Kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 12:00:48 AM »
 :roll:
Crap, engaged brain and erased post...  :|
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 11:23:09 AM »
Dave, I had to laugh when I read your post.
and they are not "complected" at all.. In the lowest end unit they make you can have boost control wide band lambda sequential fuel delivery coil on plug ignition

And you're telling me that mouthful ain't complected?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 11:45:37 AM »
I keep looking around for options, I keep finding stuff. Dyno Jet has the Wide Band Commander, an add on box to the Power Commander. It does data recording, A/F,RPM,Throttle position. Most of what I need actually, less money though :-), but no cool LCD dash,shift lights and greater number of inputs:-( Decisions Decisions :|
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:57:31 AM by peglegcraig »

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 01:56:14 PM »
Here I am fretting over velocity stacks... hahahahaha.  You guys make me feel like I'm riding a rototiller engined mini-bike.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4