Author Topic: P/P Clarification  (Read 4819 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
P/P Clarification
« on: June 03, 2007, 02:11:39 PM »
I, like many other racers, are under the assumption that the P/P class is strictly for stock bikes with unopened engines yet in the Bonneville and AMA records in the 1350 class there are two records over 200 mph which we know were not stock engines. What part of the rules interpretation am I missing?
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: P/P Clarification
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 02:17:13 PM »
"Any performance modifications must be out of view." From the rule book, as to the inside of the motor. :-D
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »
yep, you can do anything you want to the motor as long as it breaths through the stock throttle bodies and stock exhaust pipe. Usually the limiting factor, my p/p busa is making 202hp at the rear wheel and anything else we do gets choked down to the exhaust
kent

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:35:11 PM »
If that is the case one could hide a nitrous bottle under the seat and run nitrous with the stock mufflers. The fairing would hide any of the lines or jets--

Are you telling me that the only difference between MPS and P/P is the visible exhaust muffler? That can't be right.
One Fast ZX-14

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 02:58:45 PM »
p/p is a gas class. NOS will get ya a 5 year suspension :-o yep a pipe will move ya to M.... M will also allow you to do other performance things but basically the answer is yes.
kent

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 03:08:08 PM »
The rule book states that 500 units have had to have been made. If someone modifies their engine then I doubt 499 other people have modified theirs. A modified engine is not a production engine. It's like cheating at golf. When was this rule modified and why?
One Fast ZX-14

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 03:17:20 PM »
500 units had to be built -- by the factory, not 500 with whatever mods you care to put on your bike.  In other words, a true "production" bike.  But once you've got it -- bore/stroke it to the maximum allowed in the class that the factory version would be (i.e., the Kawasaki 636 could be opened to 649.9 cc, as could a 599 cc Honda, and so on).  Airbox and exhaust have to look precisely like stock -- from the outside.  You're welcome to gut the muffler, though, although you'd better be sure to save the factory outlet parts and put them back.  I don't know exactly how picky the impound inspectors would be if you opened up the exhaust canister to remove stuff and then put it back together with a patchy-looking job (poor rivets, lousy welded up seam, etc.  Make it look exactly like it came from the factory!).

You wonder why there's so much allowed in the "production" class?  Don't spend too much time wondering -- just go ahead and do whatever you want, asking for guidance from us as you go.  Have fun at it while you're at it, too.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 03:39:49 PM »
And if you can convince them the rear fender (mudflap) is a license plate holder you can take that off too!  :?
There is no longer a rule that prevents taping seams and using tape to aerodynamically cover fastening devices.  :-o so tape all your seams and smooth up the area around the windshield, that is worth a few MPH.  BNI, can't say what AMA rules say.  Good Luck and keep us posted on what you plan to do. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Flyboy

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 04:22:09 PM »
Thanks guys.
One Fast ZX-14

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 04:26:34 PM »
The origin of the Production Motor modification allowances goes back to the origin of the class when it was first described.
There never was a rule that allowed taping of seams on a Production motorcycle.
If it is allowed now it is a change that reflects the scattered rulers ability and is not allowed in cars for example.
To allow a modification like that would change the stock contour and obsolete all the records that have gone before.
It is the same mentality that prohibits S+S cases in Modified now, unless it came with the thousands of HD clone bikes that are legal for production.

"Worthless changes like that cause endless errors in LSR." (me)  :oops:

"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 04:46:34 PM »
no.... i pretty sure you can't tape the seams on a p/p bike, that would be a visual modification. I'll ask this weekend, we plan on running the 1350 p/p, and a 250p/p, and a 175p/pv
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 05:02:00 PM »
Current pp 1000 holder had taped seams and tape over the body fasteners.  They did use clear tape.  No rule preventing that I could find.  There was one in the past that I remember, but I haven't looked in my old books. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 05:36:38 PM »
Sounds like a slip doesn't it ?
Tape alters the contour and it is streamlining.
Failure to notice that is just a failure.  :roll:
Do we have a case of fooling the blind or is it mocking the afflicted ?
" I see" said the blind man, but he didn't see at all. :oops:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"