Author Topic: Tire help for BUB  (Read 9810 times)

aching_ass

Re: Tire help for BUB
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 04:51:09 PM »
Just a hint; best make sure your shoes are rated for the expected performance in your particular class. And if you don't have a steering dampner, get one.

Sam

Yes, steering dampner has been added. Thanks!

Offline bones

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 12:10:01 AM »
hello all . Is it ok to use a front tyre on the rear?  After my mishap last year, fronts cannot be used on the rear down under. I thought it was a good idea. 120/80 18 worked very well on the r1
 cheers bones

Offline tortoise

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 08:18:49 AM »
After my mishap last year, fronts cannot be used on the rear down under.
Tell us about it. How fast were you going? How much weight on it? Was it mounted reverse rotation?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:20:35 AM by tortoise »

Offline bones

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 09:25:55 AM »
I was timed at 130 at the first mile,the bike had a slow weave from the rear[I thought maybe wet salt] but still no problem to adjust steering damper. When it didn't get any better I started to roll off which made it worse. Anyway I ended up on my head,broken collarbone and 3 ribs. I had a rubber valve stem which broke off.The tyre was fitted backwards.This is standard practice with avon tyres on road race sidecars which I have been racing for 20 years.The bike weighs around 210kg 430lb. I weigh 85kg ready to go.Front tyre is a m/t drag front. The bike is very stable at 177.Maybe our rule could be changed,I like the small tyres
     cheers bones

landracing

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 11:45:24 AM »
innovation is good, front mounted on rear mmm, I think thought a little weird at first. I think due to course conditions, that you had alot of wheel slip, weave, causing the valve stem (which was rubber) to sheer off and the rest Bones already told you... Metal valve stems are a must, Joe actually had a valve stem sheer off back in 1993 or 1994 right about that same speed, his outcome was better then Bones...  Keep at them Bones, like to see you make it work...

Jon

bak189

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 12:08:40 PM »
Hey, Bones....maybe you should be running your sidecar (w/passenger) it might be safer......(just kidding)   Back in the "old days" when we were running tube-type tires, we always used a tire-lock
that would keep the tire bead on the rim.........now with tube-less tires and alloy wheels we have been using self tapping screws into the rim and into the tire bead.  I have asked in the past why no rules regarding securing tires to the wheel/rim (rear) but was told there have been no problems.   

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 03:09:31 PM »
innovation is good, front mounted on rear mmm, I think thought a little weird at first. I think due to course conditions, that you had alot of wheel slip, weave, causing the valve stem (which was rubber) to sheer off and the rest Bones already told you... Metal valve stems are a must, Joe actually had a valve stem sheer off back in 1993 or 1994 right about that same speed, his outcome was better then Bones...  Keep at them Bones, like to see you make it work...

Jon

I feel running a much smaller tire on a standard rear wheel is looking for trouble, if the rear rim that was used (I was there and did not see it) was a narrower rear rim then then I feel it would be better however if it was a standard rear wheel for the R1 or even R6 then it could have assisted the tire in coming loose from the bead much easier at speed causing the accident.

It was great to meet Bones, Evelyn and the rest of the racers from Australia and I hope to race there again.

:mrgreen:

bak189

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 03:37:38 PM »
John is right-on......... IF you are planning on using a smaller tire on a "wide" rim it is safer to use a inner-tube it will keep the tire on the rim-bead...........BUT the rules state "no inner-tubes in tubeless (radial) tires"  even though there are inner- tubes made for "radial" tires.  Oh,well.............also keep the tire pressure fairly high..........this will help in keeping the tire on the rim-bead......are we having fun, Yet???????????
Reminder.........BUB pre-entry closes on July 3.  07

Offline bones

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 12:06:29 AM »
The rim size was correct for the tyre 3.00. I showed the tyre to the state Bridgestone manager and he said the damage [like it was attacked with a knife] was classic low pressure delamination.More like no pressure.I think a longer narrow contact area is better.Speedway solo riders go to larger diameter wheels for more traction.Michelin had a 130/80 zr 17, so I setup a wheel for the tyre but when I ordered the tyre it was no longer available. The next size will be 140/70 so another wheel.
Good luck to everyone for your coming season
    cheers  Bones

John@JE Pistons

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 09:52:46 AM »
Good luck Bones, hope you and Evelyn go fast this year.

J