Author Topic: Things we’ve learned from the wreck!  (Read 8179 times)

John@JE Pistons

Re: Things we’ve learned from the wreck!
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 01:00:09 PM »
Kaz,

Based on what you just posted I would say you have come along way since I first met you years ago, I hope you get that "Hog" running real fast...from your recent pictures of it I would say you are on the right path.

FYI, when Kaz ran his bike in testing it was at a NON SCTA/BNI event..

J

Offline Freud

Re: Things we’ve learned from the LIFE!
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 08:43:04 PM »
G'Pa FREUD has several suggestions.
Think of how far you travel to the races.
Most people are towing. The best trailer in the world can still be a problem.
An accident may occur because you can't avoid it since evasive action can add to the circumstances.
So, the same info that is helpful to the safety crew at the races may be invaluable to  the highway
patrol.
Whenever we travel we now have all of our important info on a memory stick. All patrol cars have a computer. Just plug that stick into the USB port and ALL of your pertinant info is immediately available. That info can be downloaded and also go to the hospital with you. EVERYTHING important can be stored that way. Wear it around your neck with a RED CROSS painted on it. The medicos will have instant info that way. You can even have fotos on it. All fone numbers, auto and personal insurance info, relatives names and medical data can be stored on a memory stick that costs less than $10. You can put much more info on it than you can on a sheet of paper. If you don't want to do that way use a CompactFlash card, or something similar. They can be run thru a washing machine and retain their data. It's just less likely that the highway patrol can immediately access the info.
One of the "always do" instructions to the patrol or EMT's is to look for a bracelet or a necklace that has a Medical Alert  pendant. The memory stick will be found at the same time.
I doubt that Ed and Cris have the medical sheets for each racer in their safety truck. They probably don't have a computer either but it may be something to consider. So at the time the first people arrive at an accident scene on the Salt, your medical info is not available. So it has no value immediately. It may be available by the time the ambulance is rolling past the pits.
Racing or going to the races.......have that info as available as possible. You can even have your Living Will info on the memory stick. That's similar to what Debbie was referring to.
As long as we are attempting to be up to date you should also have a envelope with your auto insurance available. In that envelope include several duplicate sheets that contain this info: your name, drivers license number and expiration date, your address and fone number. There should also be several duplicate sheets for the other people to fill out. They would include all of the info that you provided for them. It's a lot easier if all they have to do is answer the questions on the form and you will be able to provide the info that your insurance carrier will need. A third sheet for witnesses info can be just as valuable. It's a lot more readily done at home with your computer and printer than it is on the back of a napkin at an accident scene.
Accidents do happen and we should be as prepared as possible, whether it's on the race track on the highway.
One more thing. If you are driving in reverse on the freeway, stay out of the fast lane. The rev limiter may kick in and it's hard to keep up with the other speeders.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 09:03:57 PM »
A correction to Freud's comments on medical information. The people who pull the emergency trailer have the medical information sheets on each driver with them at all times. The 1st thing we do is pull that sheet and let the EMT's know if there is something they should be aware of. This sheet is given to them and and goes with them to the clinic or hospital as part of the record. In some cases there are 2 or more drivers and this has to be noted on the sheet and verified by someone in the crew as to who the driver is.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 10:21:50 PM »
I'm happy to know that I am wrong about the medical info sheets on the Salt. I should have known that there has been progress in that area. I realize how dedicated the accident crew is. They spend a lot of time on analysis of every incident. I should have asked before I made that statement.
Now I just wonder how the sale of NHRA may affect the event insurance. If BNI/SCTA has their own insurance there will be no affect. If, as in the past, NHRA carries the insurance I hope that it's still available thru them.
We are having a true friend of Bonneville, Wally Parks, one step more removed from an event in which he has always had a great interest.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2007, 11:02:32 PM »
SCTA/BNI insurance is provided through MIS  Motorsport Insurance Service
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah