Author Topic: APS bike tail section  (Read 5704 times)

Offline panchop

APS bike tail section
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:55:23 AM »
i belive SCTA allows me 8 inches for the tail section past the rear of the tire but it looks like AMA rules say nothing past. Am i understanding this right.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: APS bike tail section
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 02:01:28 AM »
I may be reading the rule book wrong but in my book the rules states "If a streamlined seat or tail section is used it cannot extend further to the rear than a vertical line at the rear edge of the rear tire."  My reading is that nothing is allowed past the rear tire.  I would sugest you contact Tom Evans or Russ O'Daly for exact clarification.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 02:39:41 AM »
SCTA "A" you can go past the tire.... SCTA "M"and AMA ya stop!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 12:32:06 PM »

The reasons are even less understood than they are valid.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline panchop

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 01:11:42 PM »
shucks, my bad. i've been using the SCTA book for my design. Now i have to either chop it off or...how about FIM. i can't seem to figure them out.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 01:30:45 PM »
shucks, my bad. I've been using the SCTA book for my design. Now i have to either chop it off or...how about FIM. i can't seem to figure them out.

If you consider running FIM at BUB you might want to look into the cost.  I think you pay more than running AMA.

I would make it legal for the organization you want to run under now and maybe in the future.  Might save you some headaches,

Sum

Offline panchop

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 02:26:44 PM »
The problem is i really want to run at speed week next year. I want to run at the BUBs meet this year because i figure I'll get more seat time in on a bike, team and rider ( me ) that will definatly need it. Nothing against BUBs but for better or worse running Speed Week is my ultimate goal. Hate to cut it up for BUBs and then redo it for SW. Kind of counterintuitive for the development process .

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 02:32:27 PM »
PChop, put a longer swingarm on it. then you can move it forward when you run Speedweek if you think it might help.  The pics so far show you are planning a longer arm anyway since the vertical pieces must be forward of the rear axle centerline anyway.....  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 05:01:57 PM »
The bike doesn't have a swing arm.
Build it to the most restrictive rule, get accustomed to it and you will find it is already within the limits for the other clubs.
If you ask why they are different you will begin to understand the dilemma they have created for the entrant.

"Getting them together is like herding cats." :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Snail

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 01:36:52 PM »
Panchop, its my interpretation of the FIM rules that no part can extend past the rear WHEEL.  I can't believe that's not meant to be rear TIRE.  But here it is:

2.81 ADDITIONAL SPECIFICATIONS FOR SPECIAL  VEHICLES USED FOR WORLD RECORDS (SHORT DISTANCE)

81.01 General

No part of a motorcycle (with the exception of extreme aerodynamic vehicles, also known as "Streamliners") may extend beyond the wheels.  No airfoils, spoilers or movable external control surfaces are allowed."

Offline Snail

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
So, if a tire is considered a 'part', how can it not extend beyond the wheel?  We suppose to run on the rims?

Jack should have a field day with this one...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 01:45:51 PM »
That tells me they don't understand either. :roll:

Offline panchop

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 03:49:38 PM »
Well i hated to do it this close to BUBs but I just dropped my frame off at a buddy place. He's been building frames for a long time and i told him i needed it to be 8 inches longer . He was unhappy about some of my work and is planning on redoing it. Hopefully this wont be to much of a delay. I just don't see the point of spending all that time and money to run a bike that won't tech. I have no expectation of changing the world out their but why bother running something that is illegal.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 03:51:44 PM by panchop »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 04:32:13 PM »
are ya gonna take any of that neck out of it?

Offline panchop

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 08:48:40 PM »
wasn't planing on it. it will give me about a 70 inch wheelbase. long but I've riden longer ones back in the day.