Author Topic: my 1000cc APS/BG project.  (Read 19288 times)

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
Re: my 1000cc APS/BG project.
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 02:54:01 AM »
what kinda pressures are you running, I have been told and read that tyres are running 50-60-70 psi on the salt is there a sound basis for this as a softer tyre will get more traction to a point I dont mean run it flat but 35-40psi and it will have a better chance of getting a grip,Are the pressures so high for a reason keeping them on the rim coz they get too hot/distortion at speed what is the theory.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 03:47:45 AM »
 :-D A trick I learned from thr bicycle guys was. The harder the tire the less rolling ressistance. As always you would have to adjust that to circumstances, dirt or salt. So, eventually you have to know your bike and what it likes compared to the conditions. Horsepower, frontal area and drag all play a part in your optimum performance. As a newbie, it's a crap shoot till you find what your bikelikes...   but  I dunno. just my 2c

Your mileage may vary!!!!!!!  right Jack!

I remember back in the 70's we'd drag a set of Pirellies off thr roof of the shop cuz they had been sufficiantely hardeded. We'd usually leave them on te roof for about a month and they worked great, but times are changing. Also, back then my crew chief whould put 8 # of air in the tires, which is unheard of now. But, the tires hooked up and we did our job, with good finishes. And, I still have a number of those tires and they still work against the new Goodyears. So, I dunno, I just did what I was told. And had a lot of funnnnnnn.

This is longwinded but, I think you just have to find what works for you. But, I also don't think anyone here will let you run off the deep end without your floaties... Well, except maybe Kent..... :-D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:04:08 AM by ol38y »
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 05:04:29 AM »
I know what you mean about times a changing we used to run around on rigid framed chops old gsxr motors good for 150s with 20-25psi in the back just to take out some of the bumps never had any bother with them but I wouldnt dream of doing that on salt
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 05:19:42 AM »
50#s......yep you just keep doin that :-D
kent

Offline panchop

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 12:21:47 AM »
well i have added a zx 11 front end, and made some body modifications. I also changed over to an external wastegate. I will see how thhat works as i could not control the boost last year.  I had much more planned but alas life got in the way this year. something i am sure you are all familiar with.

I cut away most of the body as i couldn't get my legs in out off the breeze. i think it will work better. only one way to tell i guess.

looking forward to seeing some of you in sept at BUBs. Hopefully i won't be thrashing the whole time this year and i will get a chance to meet a couple of people.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:25:12 AM by panchop »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 12:25:36 AM »
well i have added a zx 11 front end, and made some body modifications. I also changed over to an external wastegate. I will see how thhat works as i could not control the boost last year.  I had much more planned but alas life got in the way this year. something i am sure you are all familiar with.

You painted the frame Green Greg?

J

Offline panchop

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 12:31:18 AM »
well it is a kawi john. ( OK cheap duplicolor mopar grabber green) I wanted a light color to show cracks but i didn't want to spend big money on powder coating. If i can hit a good number this year i plan on building a whole new frame . how have you been?

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 12:48:35 AM »
Looks great Panhop!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 01:02:22 AM »
well it is a kawi john. ( OK cheap duplicolor mopar grabber green) I wanted a light color to show cracks but i didn't want to spend big money on powder coating. If i can hit a good number this year i plan on building a whole new frame . how have you been?

Greg,

Been good and just doing the same old stuff, see you in Bonne :mrgreen: