Author Topic: my 1000cc APS/BG project.  (Read 19290 times)

Offline panchop

Re: my 1000cc APS/BG project.
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 06:21:30 PM »
about 12-15#s , we where having trouble controlling the amount of boost so we would cut the run at that point.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 09:40:40 PM »
Just a suggestion but you are having issues with your boost you might want to look into modding your turbo to get rid of the internal gate for an external. Internal gates will have issues with boost creep and a external will give you more control over boost.

I have 2 Garrett T3s that were originally gated to make around 7-8 psi that I had making more (12-15) and had a world of issues that I thought were related to the boost controller. Turns out the internal gate did not work well at higher boost.....an external gate fixed the problems.

jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline panchop

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2007, 11:13:03 AM »
well i just got back in town. It was interesting to say the least. with disappointments, small victories and lessons learned. i got there Saturday midday and we set up a pit right away. for those of you there we where next door to the swiss performance group.  any how we made a total of 5 passes the whole time we where there. 4 on the international course and one on the run what you brung course. the first run i made i blew one of the inter coolers off the bike and coasted threw the timed mile at an earth shattering 108 mph. Got to make another run the next day. my boost gauge climbed to 20 #s which surprised the hell out of me as I thought we had fixed that problem and set it up to make about 10#. I modulated the throttle and managed a 168.9 MPH threw the timed portion. We where pretty happy about that but didn't know what to do about the high boost i was generating. we had already turned to waste gate out all it could go. We then made a mistake. we switched to a 21 tooth tranny sprocket. went with a way higher octain fuel from ERC and increased the fuel pressure. i know you should change one thing at a time but with the limited track time we figured what the hell.next day after about 7 hours in line we trailer down to the 2 mile mark to start. while i am changing the starters are shouting at the crew to come on lets go. my guys roll out my bike and start it to warm it up for me. i run out , get on it and take of.  disaster. It won't build boost and keeps falling on it face running in spurts. after a lousy 143 threw the traps i turn off the course and wait to be picked up. we sit in the pits trying to figure out what happened. i have the body off and the run what you brung course is empty so we try a run there. i get threw 4th gear rear tires spinning the whole way but the engine running right so what the hell. we decide to go back to what worked before and returned everything to the way it was.i think the guys started my bike and didn't start the fuel pump running. not there fault it's my job to make sure my bike is ready to run. lesson learned. for my last run i decide screw the boost, it's the last day if it blows up it blows up. i get a good start and am getting into the timed mile feeling good about the run. I was running at 20 #s of boost but everything was holding together. i shifted into 5th just as i was about to enter the timed mile. bike was feeling good when i lost traction big time. I rolled off the throttle and back on but to late. ended up with a 165+ timed mile. i was disappointed as i know i was going at a much better speed then I had on my 169 mph pass but i blew it. On the other hand the frame tracked straight and true. i would get a little wagging out back when i broke traction but nothing overwhelming. The engine had all the power it needed for right now. Guess I'll just have to wait till next year for that 200 mph. It was great fun and something i think all gear heads should do at least once. I have some more plans for the bike this year. some changes to make it go, of course faster. i looked around a lot to see what the fast guys where doing. hopefully i learned something useful.
greg
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 11:16:59 AM by panchop »

Super Kaz

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2007, 09:03:44 PM »
well i just got back in town. It was interesting to say the least. with disappointments, small victories and lessons learned. i got there Saturday midday and we set up a pit right away. for those of you there we where next door to the swiss performance group.  any how we made a total of 5 passes the whole time we where there. 4 on the international course and one on the run what you brung course. the first run i made i blew one of the inter coolers off the bike and coasted threw the timed mile at an earth shattering 108 mph. Got to make another run the next day. my boost gauge climbed to 20 #s which surprised the hell out of me as I thought we had fixed that problem and set it up to make about 10#. I modulated the throttle and managed a 168.9 MPH threw the timed portion. We where pretty happy about that but didn't know what to do about the high boost i was generating. we had already turned to waste gate out all it could go. We then made a mistake. we switched to a 21 tooth tranny sprocket. went with a way higher octain fuel from ERC and increased the fuel pressure. i know you should change one thing at a time but with the limited track time we figured what the hell.next day after about 7 hours in line we trailer down to the 2 mile mark to start. while i am changing the starters are shouting at the crew to come on lets go. my guys roll out my bike and start it to warm it up for me. i run out , get on it and take of.  disaster. It won't build boost and keeps falling on it face running in spurts. after a lousy 143 threw the traps i turn off the course and wait to be picked up. we sit in the pits trying to figure out what happened. i have the body off and the run what you brung course is empty so we try a run there. i get threw 4th gear rear tires spinning the whole way but the engine running right so what the hell. we decide to go back to what worked before and returned everything to the way it was.i think the guys started my bike and didn't start the fuel pump running. not there fault it's my job to make sure my bike is ready to run. lesson learned. for my last run i decide screw the boost, it's the last day if it blows up it blows up. i get a good start and am getting into the timed mile feeling good about the run. I was running at 20 #s of boost but everything was holding together. i shifted into 5th just as i was about to enter the timed mile. bike was feeling good when i lost traction big time. I rolled off the throttle and back on but to late. ended up with a 165+ timed mile. i was disappointed as i know i was going at a much better speed then I had on my 169 mph pass but i blew it. On the other hand the frame tracked straight and true. i would get a little wagging out back when i broke traction but nothing overwhelming. The engine had all the power it needed for right now. Guess I'll just have to wait till next year for that 200 mph. It was great fun and something i think all gear heads should do at least once. I have some more plans for the bike this year. some changes to make it go, of course faster. i looked around a lot to see what the fast guys where doing. hopefully i learned something useful.
greg

Greg,
It was Really Cool to meet you ,'Thank You for Bring down my new Motor :-D' I was really Surprised to see your Crew Chief Norris Bruce :evil:! I've been Trying to get Sam out here since I started,but I guess I don't PAY Enough :|? You got 'SALT' Fever now,and the only cure is comen back and going FASTER 8-)!
C-ya soon,
Kaz............

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 02:19:28 AM »
Lurvly bit of pipe work on the turbo been in this game a while have you. 205 BHP have you reinforced engine internals at all or been balanced.
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline panchop

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2007, 11:52:46 AM »
basically a stock engine with a welded crank, better pistons and valve springs. It ran at bonniville making 20 #s of boost , that 205 BHP was at 15#. i have no idea what it made there. a compression check here at home though shows the number 3 cylinder took a hit. i haven't pulled it apart yet. i have to catch up on the honeydos first.

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2007, 01:01:52 PM »
 Hopefully no major damage to the motor.Nice to hear that the motor will develop that kinda power without too much beefing up internally and better luck next time but its all experience gained.

Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2007, 11:30:45 PM »
Run the setup that Norris ran 30 years ago and it will make more HP than the engine can sustain, and with way fewer parts. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline panchop

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »
Ok modified the exhaust and added a turbotronics evolution wastegate also a bung for a wide-band O2 sensor. Now i have to figure how to make this PLX 500 Data logger sensor thing work. Picked up a lockup clutch and will modify my clutch cover for it.

Offline panchop

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 03:28:08 PM »
By the way the  low number 3 cylinder numbers ended up mostly being a rusty valve seat. i did a lot of cleaning when i got home but didn't run the engine after it. easy fix.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2007, 05:48:02 AM »
lock up...humm.. that should help....for a little while.... hey what ya gonna do when it beats the main bearings out of the crank case.?... got any plans for the trans out put shaft breakage or out put shaft bearing failure.?... all kinda problems when those vintage motors make over 170hp.... oh hey watch out for 2nd and 3rd gear... the teath come off like butter....

Offline ben james

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2007, 05:10:04 PM »
hi panchop, my names ben & i'm from melbourne australia. i run a similar type bike to you & was wondering about that gs 500 rear wheel 17" x ?. also how did you find the traction at bonneville with that long wheelbase. my 77 z1000 has a 72" wheelbase & when i was at lake gairdner in 2006 i had traction problems. but the salt was wet. was thinking for 2008 to put 40kgs of lead in front of the back wheel to see if that helps. will try to post up some pics.
regards ben
dlra member #389 moriwaki monster

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2007, 05:55:20 PM »
here he is our new member and very, very good friend of mine Ben James , and of course Christine his better half....

here he is one morning at the lake when I'm absolutely positive I saw a rabbit break cover when he scratched his head...it's a briar patch full of ideas...

and here's the bike with no distractions other than a shadow of the good Doctor

if you ever meet Ben the correct way to address him is HEY BEN!....or of course Emu Ben!!!!

he's the genuine article.... :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline panchop

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »
lock up...humm.. that should help....for a little while.... hey what ya gonna do when it beats the main bearings out of the crank case.?... got any plans for the trans out put shaft breakage or out put shaft bearing failure.?... all kinda problems when those vintage motors make over 170hp.... oh hey watch out for 2nd and 3rd gear... the teath come off like butter....
actually i am planning on taking power out of it. Since i was spinning my wheels i got to figure i have to much HP for my currant traction /aeros setup.all about learning the game i guess. If i get to the point i can use more power i have some options available.

Offline panchop

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 11:31:44 PM »
Howdy ben, glad to see another old drag bike getting a second lease on life. The rear wheel is just a stock GS wheel and I'm not sure of the width. The rear tire is a 150 / 70 x17 that i ran at 50#s. I haven't the experience to comment to much on the traction at Bonniville. others called it wet and slippery so I'll have to rely on their assessment. My wheelbase is aprox 79 inches and i didn't add any weight. on the other hand i weigh 265# before i add the leather and gear. It would break lose if i shifted to hard but and it blew away traction in my timed mile. a bump or a wet patch i don't know hat caused it. for what it's worth i think that your setup carries it's weight farther forward then mine does. i really have the lump just about in the middle so that might be helping me. wish i could be of some help but obviously i just don't know enough yet.
Good Luck
Greg