Author Topic: '73 Can Am 125 Bonneville record breaker  (Read 8618 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
'73 Can Am 125 Bonneville record breaker
« on: May 28, 2007, 05:39:11 PM »
Hey Guys
I have been contacted by a museum to build a replica of the '73 Can Am 125 Bonneville record breaking machine. I am in need of as many pictures as I can find, mostly of the chassis. If any one has any pix, or maybe a ’74-’75 sales brochures that may have a pix or 2 please post ‘em here or email me direct. I can also scan pix for those not able and will gladly return any pix loaned. Thanks in advance
Yours in sport
Kent Riches
Air-Tech
(760) 598-3366
www.motorcyclebodywork.com
harleydude200369@yahoo.com

Offline Freud

Re: '73 Can Am 125 Bonneville record breaker
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 06:08:10 PM »
Kent, that was an amazing bike. I'll look to see if I have any chassis shots. I do remember of doing a foto of it on it's record pass. Something like 137 mph. I know they had a long tail for it but I don't think I have any fotos of that configuration. Isn't that the fairing that CYCLE Magazine did the story on? I remember Cook telling me that that was the most expensive story they had ever purchased at the time it was published.  I also think you have the ability to reproduce that shell: right or wrong?
I remember that Eric Ritter ran slightly over 160 MPH with his 250 with that body work. He stepped off of it as he cleared the lights because he didn't have enough room to allow the needed steering when the cross wind bit him. It was either a WOS or a USFRA meet when that happened and it was 1987 as I remember. I know the bike went to tech in the back of a pickup because it wasn't rideable after the crash.

PM, e-mail or call me.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 06:53:52 PM »
Freud
oh boy... yes any pix you have will be tons of help. yes i can reproduce the fairing but i will have to sculpt the tail, no problem. i do have a couple of pix of it on the salt and have the pix from the wind tunnel stuff, but not to detailed and reveling. Bob was helpful with those. I am really in need of any pix kinda showing the frame. Bob said they cut and modified the stocker and was kind enough to make a drawing of it to the best of his recollection. any pix you have whether at speed or in the pits might seen like little, but anything will give lots info. Sorry i dont have your email or phone. can ya post the pix here? i plan to post the build here. will be cool to document the recreation of such a big piece of motorcycle land speed history.
thanks in advance
kent
harleydude200369@yahoo.com

Offline GeneF

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 07:41:29 PM »
Here's a diagram of a stock frame, got it from http://http://www.vft.org/ a primarily flat track site but there's a lot of other m/c info there if you're not already aware of it.

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:41:16 PM »
We always wish for more but I did find the negs of the shot as he was running
and also one in the pits where he was not sitting on it. That's the best I can do.
Dolan has the original bike but he won't let you see it. He wanted to trade it for
a sail boat.
FREUD
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 01:00:31 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 02:37:34 AM »
oh doc u da man....any pix is a good pix! Is it true Jack... do ya have it? I was told it rusted away in Canada, then found it's self into a trash can... got any info for me Jack?
kent

bak189

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 11:37:17 AM »
What say you, JackD.................(.I think I know where the bike landed up.)

P.S. Kent, I think we found a couple of additional pic's  (they may be the same pic's as Mr. Freud)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:35:13 PM »
Was that the Woody Leon ride ? :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 07:01:23 PM »
bak189...........I doubt that they are the ones I found in my original negative file. I have never printed the one that 1212 will lust for. Of course there is no guarantee that "she's really the one he wants."
Did u notice how silent Mr Dolan was regarding his vast hidden hoard of scooters?
FREUD
Since '63

bak189

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 08:43:40 PM »
The Can-Am bikes Woody Leon build.........boy, were they nice.....a 125c.c. and a 175c.c...........
I understand Woody is no longer with us......I do have some nice pic's of his bikes.....but of no help to Kent.