Author Topic: Ford 9 strength  (Read 26881 times)

Offline Roadster943

Re: Ford 9 strength
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 11:16:46 PM »
According to Beaver at Winters QuickChange rear ends, " you don't need no stinkin rear end pump to run five miles, unless you want one more do-dad to chance screwing up".........Bob, who spent three grand there and was talked out of a pump.................

Bob   What did Beaver recomend for oil in our situation?  I put TDH ( transmission,differential,hydralic) oil in my Muncie and my Winters quick change at speedweek.
   My first pass the car started slowing at the 4 mile. By the time I got to the return road the car would not even roll. Turns out 1st gear became one with the mainshaft in the trans.
  I did some percision machine work with a Makita grinder ( ground off all the teeth on first gear) and kept running.  I put 85w 90 in the rear before I made any more passes as I did not think I had any extra gears to grind on in the rear and did not want to take any chances. That said I did not see any problems with the rear and would like to try some lighter oil again.
  The trans shop I bought my new Muncie parts from recomended 50w in the trans. This is standard OP in Roadrangers ( big truck transmissions) but as I said above I am a little gun shy at this point.  Thanks Vince

Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »
Beaver recomended I run their standard gear oil, which of course doesn't give you any info on the label........go figure.  I think we could probably get away with something lighter than 90 weight as long as it is a "climing gear lube" that is available from Speedway Motors and most roundy round suppliers.  I had some circle track friends try Red Line synthetic in their Q.C. and it did not like it, but they are under a lot more load and for a much longer time.......You might call Joe Timey at Delaware Chassis and see what he thinks, he is a dealer for Winters.............Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2008, 05:32:47 PM »
Vince,
I would not try lighter gear lube in the rear. I use 75W/90 Amsoil in all of my rears. I installed sensors in a couple of 240 mph cars and only saw a small temp increase. The most important thing is to NOT overfill the rear.

joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com