Author Topic: Maxton Trap & Shutdown (May 2007)  (Read 11251 times)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Maxton Trap & Shutdown (May 2007)
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 11:04:21 AM »
There are a number of like facilities around in the US.
For example, Honda owns one in So Cal we have used for Hi speed bikes over 200mph a number of times, and they now own the Ohio testing facility built by the Feds.
The FIM has conducted World Record Endurance events at the proving grounds in Laredo Texas.
The longest paved straight surface that is suitable for some things is the 17k ft concrete runway at Edwards AFB.
It is groomed, unlike most other landing surfaces, and has permanent survey markers in the middle kilo and mile.
 It has been used for LSR testing before.
The dirt alignment that was formerly used as a landing surface, early in the Space Shuttle program, before the chutes and brakes were perfected, is 14 miles. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »
Slight correction - the Ohio Transportation Research Center (TRC), now owned by Honda, was NOT built by the Feds.  It was built by Ohio State (not sure of the source of the funding).  I spent 3 summers of my life there, doing the Federal Test Procedure (FTP) for both highway and city fuel economy on the road.  All this for the US EPA.  The track happens to be 7.5 miles around - the FTP city test - 7.5 miles.  A happy coincidence.  There are also skid pads, block roads, inclines, etc.  It's quite a facility.  I also used to work for Chevy at the Milford PG - talk about a test track!  But their high speed track is "only" 3.5 miles, as I remember.

Just some test track trivia.
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Super Kaz

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 11:12:56 AM »
There are a number of like facilities around in the US.
For example, Honda owns one in So Cal we have used for Hi speed bikes over 200mph a number of times, and they now own the Ohio testing facility built by the Feds.
The FIM has conducted World Record Endurance events at the proving grounds in Laredo Texas.
The longest paved straight surface that is suitable for some things is the 17k ft concrete runway at Edwards AFB.
It is groomed, unlike most other landing surfaces, and has permanent survey markers in the middle kilo and mile.
 It has been used for LSR testing before.
The dirt alignment that was formerly used as a landing surface, early in the Space Shuttle program, before the chutes and brakes were perfected, is 14 miles. :wink:

JackD,
THAT SOUNDS VERY COOL! Got any Hook Ups for a little R&D Testing out there? :evil:
I need a little more seat time before the Next Race :wink:.
As always Your The Man :-D!
Kaz............ :mrgreen:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 11:29:39 AM »
The Ohio facility was funded by a grant from the Feds and built to their specification by the State of Ohio.
All of those facilities are available at a standard rate they set.
When we did the testing of all the bikes at the Honda facility in So Cal, a Honda was never the fastest, but credentials and money prevailed.
Honda did however test other brands on their own for comparison as is common in the industry.
Edwards is an R+D facility that is outside the restrictions you find on any other FAA certified location.
Business is business. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Super Kaz

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 12:28:12 AM »
The Ohio facility was funded by a grant from the Feds and built to their specification by the State of Ohio.
All of those facilities are available at a standard rate they set.
When we did the testing of all the bikes at the Honda facility in So Cal, a Honda was never the fastest, but credentials and money prevailed.
Honda did however test other brands on their own for comparison as is common in the industry.
Edwards is an R+D facility that is outside the restrictions you find on any other FAA certified location.
Business is business. :wink:

OK :? So How Much :oops:?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 01:40:23 AM »
MUCH
Why don't you call them ? :wink:

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 07:10:49 AM »
Jack's right - 'tain't cheap.  They are aimed at corporate clients, although I did see a race team there when I was at TRC.  It was a LONG time ago, and I don't remember who, but I think it was a SCTA team.  Someone with a LOT of money, though.

Just to add to the creep-out factor - when I was going there (TRC), they were running a crash sled program, using real, human cadavers!  I guess they have to learn this stuff somehow, but YECCCHHHH!!  The security guards told stories of 'em sitting around in wheelchairs in a big cooler.

With the Big Three in financial trouble, I wonder if their PGs will be rented out now?  Or maybe they already are?  When I worked at Milford, NOBODY got in w/o proper credentials, and only GM programs were run.  But that was high tides and green grass.  Nowadays, not so much.

Later
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Super Kaz

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 10:38:25 AM »
MUCH
Why don't you call them ? :wink:

I Wish I could,but racing a Harley without any support is EXPENSIVE!
I to poor to pay attention these day's,but was hoping maybe you knew if any of them needed a Test Rider? I'm pretty Good at R & D'ING Stuff
:wink:! Whats the Number I'm available from some Torture Testing :-o!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 09:43:29 PM »
I am the only SCTA member I ever knew to be there, but it was certainly not to represent them. :wink:

Super Kaz

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2007, 01:46:08 AM »
How else can a Starving Racer make little Money  :?? I Don't care about getting Rich I just don't want to go Broke doing what I LOVE :cry:.....

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2007, 01:59:35 AM »
A quote from a well known LSR type was "I am already famous, now I want to be rich." :wink:

bak189

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 10:56:39 AM »
" I am already rich.......am now working on becoming famous"

Super Kaz

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 11:32:30 AM »
" I am already rich.......am now working on becoming famous"

OK You WIN :-o!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 04:56:49 PM »
A quote from a well known LSR type was "I am already famous, now I want to be rich." :wink:

Jack,

I thought the line was " I am already famous now make me rich"

DV

Super Kaz

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 05:54:52 PM »

Jack,

I thought the line was " I am already famous now make me rich"

DV

Your Both my Worlds Fastest Brother :wink:!