Author Topic: My Maxton Experience  (Read 9693 times)

Offline nickelcityracing

• nickelcityracing.com
My Maxton Experience
« on: May 22, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »
The Fastest woman timed on an open wheeled motorcycle is a Canadian. I went to Maxton this month with one goal in mind to become the fastest women on an open wheeled motorcycle. I spent the winter being only 3mph short of that title and now wanted it really bad.  On route to Maxton we stopped at RCC turbos, owned by our bike builder Richard Peppler for some last minute adjustments and a run on the dyno.  I left the shop knowing I had a bike capable of 240+mph, packing approx 500hp. Friday morning we arrived at the Maxton air strip to have the bike teched. The tech lines were long so Jody and I did what we could helping people fill out their run logs and checked gear. At this point I was starting to get way too nervous and had to reminded my self over and over to stay calm an just enjoy going fast.

Saturday morning we arrived at the air strip, pulled the bike out of the trailer and drove it to the line. At the line fellow land speed racer and my competition Debb Dross was getting ready for her first pass of the day on her stock Hayabusa. Debb had teamed up with the expert landspeed racer Scott Guthrie, probably aiming for the same title. Three of the fastest turbo bikes owned by Scott were at the lined with Debb’s name on the side of the windshield. This may have been an intimidation tactic, I don’t know but it worked. I literally felt sick to my stomach thinking that all our hard work this winter may not pay off, she would be getting three times the runs that I would. A couple of deep breaths and focusing on what I had to do put me back on track.

My first run felt great, running threw the traps at 210mph reaching my goal on my first pass of the day. This high, only lasted for two minutes as Debbie Dross went through the traps at 212mph. What a run, but then we heard the words that no fellow racer wants to hear over the radio “rider down”. My eyes filled with tears and my heart was pounding, praying inside that she was going to be ok. Everyone was waiting in silence by the radio, with blank faces. Then over the radio “she is going to be ok” I could breathe again and whispered to my self thank god!

Back in line waiting for my next pass I put my helmet on and went over my next run in my head. At the line I became very nervous, thinking about what had just happened, but managed to pull a run of 211mph. Back in line again I knew this was it, the last two runs felt really good, and the bike was handling like a dream. Took off the line, getting on the gas in first second and third gear, short shifted into fourth so that I didn’t spin, and rolled into the power in fifth and sixth gear. I knew this was the fastest I had ever been. Every time I hit the air shifter it felt like my body was going to slide over the hump on the tail section. Through the traps I applied steady braking then let off to steer through the corner and back on the brakes to shut the bike down.  Picked up my time slip on the return road “oh my god it read 218mph.” Guy Caputo of Tiger racing was the first to congratulate me “We are so proud of you, great job girl.” Many others followed, and I appreciate the recognition from everyone. It feels really cool to be the fastest timed woman on an open wheeled motorcycle. I backed up this run with a 217mph on Sunday, then passed the bike over to my boyfriend so that he could reach his goal. Jody is now a member of the 200mph club, running the bike through the traps at 204 in the unfaired (naked) class, on his last run of the meet. Overall the best weekend nickelcity racing has had at Maxton.
Trillium 218mph

www.nickelcityracing.com
Trillium-Maxton 2 club---FASTEST WOMAN ON A MOTORCYCLE
Jody-220mph naked..maxton 200 club-236.6 mph top speed
2003 RCC ULTRA TURBO BUSA
THANKS SPONSORS:RCC turbos-JE Pistons-MTC-Elka-Suzuki Canada-Brock's-Northbay cycle-Dyno Jet

bak189

Re: My Maxton Experience
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 11:02:30 AM »
Congratulations.......a outstanding effort.......maybe a MBE in your future.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:33:18 AM »
Great story and congrats.  Sounds to me that you and Deb were both winners.  Like watching a game where you don't want either team to lose.

How about the next round at Speed Week or BUB  :-), or are you gals going to make me drive all the way back to Maxton  :wink:.

c ya,

Sum

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 11:45:52 AM »
Congratulations Trillium!  What a great speed and you made us feel like we were there with your storytelling. I bet there are a few more mph in that bike, and you will break 220 next time. I hope you are able to race at Speedweek or BUB and give that bike and yourself a workout.

Don Pearsall
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline WildBro

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:22:05 PM »
Great job Trillium!!!  Now the question is... Are you going for 225 in June OR will you get naked and go for 205 and join the 200 club???  You know what I want to see :-D

Also congrats to you Jody for doing 204 NAKED and joining the club.  and since you have the fairings off, just put them on ebay.  See you two in June.

Bill
P.S.
General question to all who reads this thread...
Why do you have to say "sit on motorcycle"???
To me (and what do I know) it seems like it should go; Motorcycle (naked), Fairinged Motorcycle, then streamliner.  I know a streamliner is a motorcycle.  I see the ad in the back of mags with the BuB Streamliner and it reads fastest Motorcycle, but I have yet to see one at a bike night :-)
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 12:29:39 PM »
Our Susan Robinson did it 1st in the dirt @ 205 two years ago. Is there a challange.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

racin jason

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 01:47:09 PM »
Congrats to Nicklecity. looks like the canucks are flying!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:00:22 PM by racin jason »

Offline nickelcityracing

• nickelcityracing.com
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 02:13:09 PM »
Our Susan Robinson did it 1st in the dirt @ 205 two years ago. Is there a challange.
Susan is welcomed at Maxton anytime........
www.nickelcityracing.com
THANKS SPONSORS:RCC turbos-JE Pistons-MTC-Elka-Suzuki Canada-Brock's-Northbay cycle-Dyno Jet

Offline nickelcityracing

• nickelcityracing.com
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 09:43:16 PM »
Great job Trillium!!!  Now the question is... Are you going for 225 in June OR will you get naked and go for 205 and join the 200 club???  You know what I want to see :-D

Also congrats to you Jody for doing 204 NAKED and joining the club.  and since you have the fairings off, just put them on ebay.  See you two in June.

Bill
P.S.
General question to all who reads this thread...
Why do you have to say "sit on motorcycle"???
To me (and what do I know) it seems like it should go; Motorcycle (naked), Fairinged Motorcycle, then streamliner.  I know a streamliner is a motorcycle.  I see the ad in the back of mags with the BuB Streamliner and it reads fastest Motorcycle, but I have yet to see one at a bike night :-)

Thanks Bill
Went to cruise night last night, funny thing I didn't a streamliner either.
PS I'am buying a fish this week, from pet smart of course.lol
You know what I am doing next, but we will talk about that later. Take care Trillium/Jody
www.nickelcityracing.com

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 07:08:03 AM »
Trillium... I really enjoyed that last ride ... you showed a large degree of restraint...  150 unfaired was significant...

How tough was it for you?  Seems to me that with a Turbo Busa.. that's going to be the best way to set a record over 200mph...

As for Jody... Congrats... good going on sorting all this out... Glad to have you in the 200mph club...

K
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Super Kaz

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 06:41:53 PM »
 :wink:
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 10:19:58 PM by Super Kaz »

Offline WildBro

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 09:09:50 PM »
Kaz, don't cry. 
When are you bringing that Vrod over here to the east coast??
And leave the fairings in Cali
Bill
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 09:30:24 PM by WildBro »
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 11:56:19 PM »
Highest probability -
OUR Debbie, or OUR Trillium, at Maxton!  If I was a betting man, that's where my money's going.  And I'd bet, pretty soon, too.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline yetavon

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 08:38:31 AM »
Congrads to both you and Jodi....awesome work.
Darrin

Offline Stroker

• New folks
    • http://www.snartracing.com
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »
Ms. Muir, you make me proud to be Canadian. Congratulations....again.

~Stroker
www.snartracing.com