Author Topic: Thanks Volunteers!!  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Dan Stokes

Thanks Volunteers!!
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:18:04 AM »
Just want to take a moment to THANK ALL who stepped up and volunteered to make this month's meet happen. As always, no volunteers, no racing.

Truthfully, Tonya and I were a bit worried, as we didn't have a lot of folks signed up to volunteer prior to the race, and we were missing some of our "Old Faithfuls" - specifically, the Yates at the gate, Joe Roberts in shutdown, and several others. Even Jon and Nancy were seldom seen (actually, not seen at all, as they stayed in "Da Nort" )(It's an upper Michigan joke, which I'll explain face-to-face the next time I see y'all). But we needn't have worried. We should have known that our wonderful Maxton community would step up and we'd get it done. And........YOU DID!!! I won't begin to name names, as there were just so many of you. All we had to do was say "Hey, could you.....", and it was being done.  Again, thanks just isn't a big enough word. Everything from the gate to shutdown to prestaging was staffed, and staffed wonderfully.

I would be remiss not to thank the old timers, too! David Anderson, David Locklear and Alex, Mark, Collin (hope I spelled your name right), Scott, Chris - oh, and some guy named "AL". I'm sure I left folks off this list, and if so, I deeply apologize. As usual, you guys worked like slaves and didn't whimper (at least, not too much).

Another special volunteer story. Guy Caputo (Tiger Racing) drove all the way to Maxton from Toledo just to tech bikes, as he knew that Jon was off. Todd Dross kicked in as well, then got sidetracked for some reason (see other posts). Believe me, he had more important things to do, and we're all just glad that Debbie will be OK.

For our furure meets, we'd like to have as many of you as possible sign up ahead of time so we can assign positions, give training as needed, and plan breaks, etc. The more vols, the easier it is on everyone. So please - let us know if you'll be available to work, We especially need folks to help pack out on Sunday afternoon. Remember, everthing you see at the track has to go, except the tower. The signs, the trash cans, the trash,
the trailers, the cones - EVERYTHING. It's like packing up a circus. More hands would really help.

There's another group that we take for granted, and shouldn't. How about a cheer for Joe and Donna, and Tonya and that guy she hangs out with.... I can't think of his name right now. As someone who peaks behind stage from time to time, I gotta tell you, these folks never stop moving. As hard as we work (and we DO work hard), they do twice what we do. So THANK YOU to the Turks and Joe and Donna!!!!!!

I also need to take a moment to thank Debbie Dross. As I'm sure most of you know, she took a pretty nasty tumble off one of Scott Gutrie's bikes at speed. The details are posted elsewhere. But do you know what she was doing on Sunday night? She and Tonya and Donna were going over the race results so all you racers could know the official results ASAP. Some of you may not know that they pour over all the records to assure that
everything was read correctly, that there were no transcription errors, etc, etc. So - A SPECIAL shoutout to Debbie. She's more game than I think I would be!

Let me sign off with the only words I have, as inadequate as they may be -
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

Dan Stokes
Volunteer Coordinator
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Thanks Volunteers!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 09:12:10 AM »
"Good start, good result, good future."
Thank You guys for keeping it alive with such a good example. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Roadster943

Re: Thanks Volunteers!!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:37:27 AM »
  Good job and thank you to everyone that makes these meets possible.  Vince
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger