Author Topic: Roll cage photos  (Read 23909 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Roll cage photos
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 01:24:11 PM »
Hey Carl,
yep i will be at elmo. we'll be the big yellow Penske truck with 4 bikes in the back :-D . I would love to check out your car. Yep 1 more tube that runs under the drivers right arm and down to the floor will keep the driver and seat where you originally had it bolted. The seat often gives the builder a false sense of protection. unbolt the seat and take it out.... put your harness back in and look at it....... what kind of movement do you think the driver will have in a 5G impact? I want ya safe man!
kent

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2007, 04:55:34 PM »
At the risk of getting into a flame contest let me just say this. The seat should never be mounted to the floor. It should be mounted to the roll cage. The seat and cage and belts should all one unit.   Doug Odom
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Song sung blue everybody builds one
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 07:13:16 PM »
Hi Everyone,
 I'm a long way away from most of you on this board so the fear of being belted by an angry respondant never really comes into it . This message board is without parallel the most valuable thing our team has found to help us in our pursuit of LSR. It is full of the most experienced and thoughtful people involved in the game.Due to my limited experience I try to restrict my comments to analysis of logic and engineering principles , and what I can see. It would be a shame to let discussion here descend into a peeing contest or a shouting match.

It was a revelation for our team to read the "Interview with Jack Kelly" about his experiences and his E gas/Lakester as it is the class we are in .Time after time we found little details and solutions that were uncannily similar to those on our car , solutions that we had arrived at by a logical progression and by discussion with knowledgeable people about the necessary safety issues and the available space we had. Sometimes I like to think that in this game if you think you thought of something yourself you just haven't looked or read hard enough . Likewise after the build of our car I am becoming familiar with the kind of questions that people who are "getting involved " ask ....wheels and tires  are the most obvious .

Carl , when I ask someone a question invariably I am expecting to learn something myself from their reply , sometimes the simplest detail contains a massive amount of thought and or experience and simply asking  "how come that is like that?" can reveal an issue that I ain't never troubled my poor old head with.:?

Now
(1.)Dear Dr. Beer Goggles,
 (2.)typical corvette rollovers do not cave in the A pillars,  nor the Halo -  they were engineered as rollpoint support.
 (3.)I don't understand your question about the seat bracing. 
(4.)I haven't seen any Bulldozers on the salt or at El Mirage for that matter.  My criteria for the cage is to build it as strong as possible -  but do not overengineer it so much that I can survive the bulldozer - 
(5.)only to be barbecued because I couldn't find my way out of the tangle of bars built into a superstrong cage -  that ended up limitting my ability to get out of the car.  So the object is to survive a long multiple rollover -  and to get out of the car on my own.

1./ Who doesn't like beer ? ...I am not a drunk.

2./Typical Corvettes don't do 225mph.

3./ the bracing question was about the bar going up the A pillar , not the seat mount.

4./ It's a figure of speech , we don't have the luxury of a " crumple zone " in our car.

5./Carrying as much fuel as you need and no more is a consideration there .If the cage doesn't resist a serious crash a fire won't really be of a concern to whoever is in the car.

I hope this has clarified my questions and gone some way to "cooling" things down a little.Safety in this game is my utmost concern particularly in consideration to our local event because an event as small and as remote as ours is always at risk of being ended by the liability concerns of people who are not fans or entrants.....I want to be safe , I want you to be safe so we can keep doing it for a long time.

Go get 'em :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 12:35:30 AM »
Who doesn't like beer ? ...I am not a drunk

My wife gave me a T shirt:

"I'm not an alcoholic!
Alcoholics go to meetings!"

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 01:05:00 AM »
Who doesn't like beer ? ...I am not a drunk

My wife gave me a T shirt:

"I'm not an alcoholic!
Alcoholics go to meetings!"

............measure your beer-gut, if it's over 499 ci you're in AA  class :-D :-D :-D :-D :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 01:21:26 AM »
hey i may qualify for that..... who's got the CI tape measure? 499 ya say!
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 08:07:22 AM »
Kent, you don't need a tape,  :| If you can drink 8.2 liters of beer, you're in AA, class not the meetings  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

dwarner

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 08:45:50 AM »
My theory is: if someone offers you a beer by asking if you need a beer, you are a candidate for a  meeting. My answer is ALWAYS "yes, I would like a beer, thank you"

My drink of choice? If there is a 'b', a couple of 'e' and an 'r' ANYWHERE on the label, I'm drinking a free one.

DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 11:20:25 AM »
When one is offered a libation, especially in impounds, the impoundee is possibly looking for a little slack during the process. The important part is whether the worker asks the brand. 

Now from experience, 2 of us do not ask such a question. We are open to the offer and do it with a smile and say thanks. Personally I have my favorite brand and when buying will only purchase said brand. When accepting an offer, any will do with the exception of "Sidewinder Beer" which can not even be used for trading: 2, 3, 4, 5 ,or even 6 to 1. I even accept a certain "diet" drink from one of our competitors.

As for the slack in the process, liquid in cans doesn't carry the same weight and a thick envelop with pictures of famous Americans enclosed....OK, tongue in cheek here. :wink:

Personally I like the offer of a drink near the end of the day and will always appreciate the offer.
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 03:15:14 PM »
Flame war?  Flame war?  this ain't no flame war -  take it from one who knows.  I was right in the middle of a couple of the nastiest flame wars in Inet history,  Ralphie on aviation safety,  the Bass wars,  Jim Campbell sueing everyone -  I've been in some real dust ups -  this is a bunch of guys giving their honest heartfelt opinions -  I'm always grateful for that.

I appreciate all opinions -  especially those backed by thought and experience.  Sometimes people get focused on a small detail or component -  and forget the big picture.  Different cars, different builds, different engineering, different designs -  all need to be taken into consideration as part of the whole project.  no one wants to skimp on safety, but sometimes, someone will get fixated on a specific point -  and not be able to view the problem or system in context.  Sometimes I see that in landspeed cars -  someone gets so focused on building the biggest or best or most complex system A -  and they forget to consider how A fits with B, & C.  and how it will affect each of them.
 One of the potential problems with experience is that it tends to sharpen focus to very specific issues. the focus gets very narrow on whatever caused someone a problem.  Often the solution will impact other system or issues in a car -  but that doesn't show up until the next incident!

I'll be at Elmo -  look me up -  have a look -  and lets talk about your ideas and concerns!
carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline richk

• New folks
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 10:03:28 PM »
Yes I could use a photo. Are you tied in at the rear crossmenber?
RichK
Carl;
Where did you tie in main hoop braces in the back?

Thanks
RichK
Rich,
sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I was out of town.  Are you talking about the rear  bars that angle back from the hoop into the rear compartment?   We cut out a 8" X 6" hole in the fiberglass -  that gave us access to the frame -  we welded a plate to the frame and the bars to the plate -  I can give you mesurements as to the location -  or I can send you closeup photos if you need em. (unfortunately I have now foamed over and sealed the opening to the weld itself -  but you could easily see the locations

Carl J.

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 10:21:31 PM »
Rich -  I
m tied into the the frame rails on the sides of the car -  about 3 feet back from the hoop -  I'll try and shoot a photo -  but my kid just stole my digital camera and went on vacation for a week -  don't suppose you can make el Mirage this week?

Carl
Yes I could use a photo. Are you tied in at the rear crossmenber?
RichK
Carl;
Where did you tie in main hoop braces in the back?

Thanks
RichK
Rich,
sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I was out of town.  Are you talking about the rear  bars that angle back from the hoop into the rear compartment?   We cut out a 8" X 6" hole in the fiberglass -  that gave us access to the frame -  we welded a plate to the frame and the bars to the plate -  I can give you mesurements as to the location -  or I can send you closeup photos if you need em. (unfortunately I have now foamed over and sealed the opening to the weld itself -  but you could easily see the locations

Carl J.
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca