Author Topic: Roll cage photos  (Read 23914 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: Roll cage photos
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 07:18:18 PM »
Carl, sorry if I overreacted.  I should have used that zoom button.  It appeared to me from the photo that those were about half inch wide straps like come with the cheap "moon type" fuel tanks.  Not trying to be critical, just helpful..........
Bob Drury

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2007, 08:52:52 PM »
No overreaction Bob,  You were trying to make sure I stay safe.  I greatly appreciate that.  Like I said -  the photos were very misleading.  Are you coming to EM in June?

Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
Right now I am swapping motors for a try at a new class (A/CFALT) and with the price of gas I may only make it to Boise.  Man, last year was over a grand for gas and I really pity the guys towing from the East Coast.  El Mirage is unfortunatlly out of the picture for now.  Hope to see you run at Speedweek............
Bob Drury

Offline richk

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
Carl;
Where did you tie in main hoop braces in the back?

Thanks
RichK

LVMAXX

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 09:00:13 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:35:30 PM by LVMAXX »

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 12:33:29 AM »
Carl;
Where did you tie in main hoop braces in the back?

Thanks
RichK
Rich,
sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I was out of town.  Are you talking about the rear  bars that angle back from the hoop into the rear compartment?   We cut out a 8" X 6" hole in the fiberglass -  that gave us access to the frame -  we welded a plate to the frame and the bars to the plate -  I can give you mesurements as to the location -  or I can send you closeup photos if you need em. (unfortunately I have now foamed over and sealed the opening to the weld itself -  but you could easily see the locations

Carl J.
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 12:35:22 AM »
Love the assist handle, and may add one to the '69 Elke. The SCTA inspectors made us add a diagonal bar at the top, and we didn't bend/curve it. Wish we had done that for some extra clearance, but it's too late.

The cage looks great, hope to see it at the salt.

LVMAXX
Lovelock, NV

If you want to go to the trouble to cut out your addition -  you can send me a drawing and measurements of the bar you want -  I can bend it up in 10 minutes - and get it out to you!

Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Song sung blue everybody builds one
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 04:35:38 PM »
It took the good Reverend to point this thread out to me.....seems like dangerous territory to me , one scrap of airplay and I'd have half the landracing community after me for a royalty point...good market though.
:roll:

On Topic.
Hey Carl , I was wondering about that bar that runs up the A pillar , it seems that a heavy direct hit on that (ie: a tumbling roll) might cause it to buckle in?...bringing the top section down with it...to where I notice the drivers seat is..How is that part braced? Where the bar bends from the vertical to meet the pillar seems to be a weak spot as I can't see a gussett or any method to keep it aligned with the pillar.I'ts probably just me , I built our cage with the thought that someone might drop a bulldozer on it.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Lynchy

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 12:32:50 AM »
I was wondering about that bar that runs up the A pillar , it seems that a heavy direct hit on that (ie: a tumbling roll) might cause it to buckle in?...bringing the top section down with it...

Dr G - We worried about the same thing with the Jag and the solution in our minds was to put a plate from the cage upright to the A pillar + brace the bars via a bar from one upright to the other that is also tied into the firewall. Another thought was to run a second side intrusion bar Xing with the current side intrusion bar and joining onto the upright at about it's midpoint. We've held off on this to see how easy/hard it will be to get in and out of the car.

I built our cage with the thought that someone might drop a bulldozer on it.

I think that is probably the best way to build a car.

Lynchy

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 04:10:56 AM »
carl
225 is a good speed to shoot for... but man....I'm sorry i have to say i don't like the cage... at 225 the car will get pretty air born and if she hits hard on the left door.... your askin' alot out of that seat.... I see a neck injury from the belts wanting to rip the drivers head off when the seat mounts fail. i see a possibility of a lot of driver movement. It would probably pass tech the way it is but please add another tube on the drivers rh side. be safe!
Kent

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2007, 09:49:21 AM »
carl
225 is a good speed to shoot for... but man....I'm sorry i have to say i don't like the cage... at 225 the car will get pretty air born and if she hits hard on the left door.... your askin' alot out of that seat.... I see a neck injury from the belts wanting to rip the drivers head off when the seat mounts fail. i see a possibility of a lot of driver movement. It would probably pass tech the way it is but please add another tube on the drivers rh side. be safe!
Kent

Kent,
are you going to be at Elmo this weekend?  I'm not sure I follow what you are saying -  I'm hoping you will be around so we can look at it and i can get your input.  Another tube where on the right side? Are you talking about angling off the hoop past the drivers right shoulder and down to the floor?  That would cause problems with accessing the fire system release as well as the parachute -  both are located on the tunnel.

Carl

Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Carl Johansson

Re: Song sung blue everybody builds one
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »
Dear Dr. Beer Goggles,
I have looked at the a pillar supports and thought about it alot. Before we go to the bigblock engine we will be putting in a crossbar that runs between the 2 A pillar posts.  A gussett between the a pillar bars and the A pillars might be a good idea -  I will look at that.  That A pillar comes from GM pretty strong -  typical corvette rollovers do not cave in the A pillars,  nor the Halo -  they were engineered as rollpoint support.
 I don't understand your question about the seat bracing.  The seat is mounted to the factory seat mounting locations with heavier duty hardware -  in a corvette you are limited by where the glass starts on the floor plan. 
It doesn't show on the pictures because we were still fabbing it up -  but the back of the seat is bolted to the diaganal bar in the hoop with a custom bracket and grade 8 hardware.

I haven't seen any Bulldozers on the salt or at El Mirage for that matter.  My criteria for the cage is to build it as strong as possible -  but do not overengineer it so much that I can survive the bulldozer -  only to be barbecued because I couldn't find my way out of the tangle of bars built into a superstrong cage -  that ended up limitting my ability to get out of the car.  So the object is to survive a long multiple rollover -  and to get out of the car on my own.

It took the good Reverend to point this thread out to me.....seems like dangerous territory to me , one scrap of airplay and I'd have half the landracing community after me for a royalty point...good market though.
:roll:

On Topic.
Hey Carl , I was wondering about that bar that runs up the A pillar , it seems that a heavy direct hit on that (ie: a tumbling roll) might cause it to buckle in?...bringing the top section down with it...to where I notice the drivers seat is..How is that part braced? Where the bar bends from the vertical to meet the pillar seems to be a weak spot as I can't see a gussett or any method to keep it aligned with the pillar.I'ts probably just me , I built our cage with the thought that someone might drop a bulldozer on it.
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 11:32:43 AM »
If a well placed support was added to restrict the driver from unwanted motion and the access to the safety systems was compromised, I guess I don't see where that would a problem to modify.
The design should take consideration that allows quick egress without help, if the operator is not incapacitated in an upset, even if the body panels were to be displaced and the doors won't work for example. :wink:

"The perfect crash is as rare as the perfect landing". (me)   
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 11:42:16 AM »
Jack's new book, "Quotes from me and other giberish" is now in printing and will be available soon.  The best part is that although it is written in English, it can be read by those with no understanding of the English language with equal understanding..................... :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2007, 11:48:31 AM »
In 99% of the crashes we handle the driver is still in the vehicle when the emergency team arrives. The driver is usually still trying to figure out what the hell happened.  Actually they are better off to stay put unless there is a fire. Many injuries are not known until we extract the drivers.  There is a lot going on at that time and we have patrols and the emergency vehicles along the course. Usually a 30 to 45 second response time.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah