Author Topic: Roll cage photos  (Read 23918 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

Roll cage photos
« on: May 20, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »
Remember all the crap Jack gave me about Rollcages.  And remember how helpfull Doug Odom and several others were?  Probably not -  but I do.  Anyway heres photos of the roll cage in the 88 vette.
From the rear -  drivers side:

From the passenger side.  Notice the 2 "pettybars" -  at the recomendation of SCTA inspectors -  to give better head protection (stop crushdown).  also notice the assist handle we added to improve exit time!  

Originally we had 2 "earflap" style lateral head supports.  Doug Odom kept saying how if he had to do it again he would use the drag stle roll cage -  but i was worried about exitability if we did that.  eventually we got rid of the flimsy ear flaps -  and put in the 2 vertical supports you see here (another great suggestion from our inspectors)  Removing the ear flaps and adding the assist handle got out exit time from 17 seconds with lots of helmet banging -  to 12 seconds -  much more comfortably and smoothly.

Hope this is small enough to post

Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Roll cage photos
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 11:41:18 AM »
I remember everything I said and it is documented here.
You asked for a recommendation and I gave you one.
You declined for reasons only known to you and that was the end of it.
Perhaps somebody should read it to you. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:43:48 AM »
I can read just fine Jack.  Unfortunately I have not a clue when I try to decipher many of your posts -  including this one!

carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

bak189

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 12:14:32 PM »
We all know the "Jack" likes to play the "devils advocate"  and we should all take what he says with a "grain of salt"............................but the one thing that is beyond my understanding, why he has decided to knock to BUB M/C Trials......constantly..........I would think as an "old" M/C competitor he would support an all M/C Speed Trial.  What say you, Jack?

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 12:49:33 PM »
We all know the "Jack" likes to play the "devils advocate"  and we should all take what he says with a "grain of salt"............................but the one thing that is beyond my understanding, why he has decided to knock to BUB M/C Trials......constantly..........I would think as an "old" M/C competitor he would support an all M/C Speed Trial.  What say you, Jack?
Why bother asking -  we probably won't be able to understand the convolution and obtusification -  jack types like he's got marbles in his mouth!
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Carl, the cage looks pretty stout to me, but in looking at your fire bottles, those attachment straps make me shudder.  Although they may be o.k. by the rules, I like to visualize what will happen if and when I am in a pencil roll crash.  If a bottle were to come loose, no helmet or fire suit is going to keep that fire bottle from beating the Holy crap out of you.  You  have already gone on the safe side as far as the cage, but I sure would like to see you put a heavier strap on those bottles!  p.s. I have been accused of overbuilding by many, but it gives me peace of mind when I leave the line.  Good Luck........
Bob Drury

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 01:51:32 PM »
............. but it gives me peace of mind when I leave the line..............

Is there a song there somewhere??  How about it Dr. Googles or someone else with a little musical talent....

.......A....

Land Speed Racing Song
Just think about it Bob, crediting you for your 3 course idea will have been forgotten in 3 years, but those words could immortalized you  :evil:,

Sum

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 01:52:29 PM »
Carl, your cage looks fine, and I like your seat. All the questions you've asked have been fairly well thought out so I'm only throwing this out for you to think about (you may have already). Having been involved in running a Corvette or 2 in the past remember the floor in glass, keep that in mind when you consider your safety cage layout. Good Luck on your program.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 02:17:23 PM »

Calling them as I see them with experience to match.
Others have the same views but are less likely to say it publicly in part because of the fear of retribution.  :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
carl
how fast ya hopin' ta go?
kent

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 02:48:32 PM »
Carl:

If you go into the NHRA web site driver blogs and open the one for Tommy Johnson Jr. there's a pretty good shot of his new head restraint and seat. There are some good ideas there even if the application is a little different. The seat is very similar to the seat in an indy car that is poured around the driver. The head restraint is designed to limit side to side movement and is used in conjunction with a HANS devise.

Hope the ideas help.

Pete

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 03:30:15 PM »
Sum, I have already been christened as immoral by many................ :wink:
Bob Drury

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 03:40:01 PM »
Carl, the cage looks pretty stout to me, but in looking at your fire bottles, those attachment straps make me shudder.  Although they may be o.k. by the rules, I like to visualize what will happen if and when I am in a pencil roll crash.  If a bottle were to come loose, no helmet or fire suit is going to keep that fire bottle from beating the Holy crap out of you.  You  have already gone on the safe side as far as the cage, but I sure would like to see you put a heavier strap on those bottles!  p.s. I have been accused of overbuilding by many, but it gives me peace of mind when I leave the line.  Good Luck........
Geez Bob,  those are the ones recommended by the manufacturer -  for this specific application,  They were also recomended by delaware chassis works.  They are not straps -  they are machined out of 1 piece of aluminum,  a substantial bracket -  then the whole system is tied down to the seat mounts.  I can work out more mounting sttraps -  but the issue would be where to anchor them -  some of that floor pan is iffy at best -  thats why I use the seat mount studs to secure it.

If you really think I ought to -  come by and find me at El Mirage next month -  i would love to have your input on a better mounting setup!

Going back and looking at the photos -  I can see why you said that -  it looks like thin straps -  but they are brackets that are at least 1/2 inch thick and made of billet aluminum -  i think the photos may be misleading

Carl
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 03:46:33 PM by Carl Johansson »
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 03:43:58 PM »
Carl, your cage looks fine, and I like your seat. All the questions you've asked have been fairly well thought out so I'm only throwing this out for you to think about (you may have already). Having been involved in running a Corvette or 2 in the past remember the floor in glass, keep that in mind when you consider your safety cage layout. Good Luck on your program.
Absolutely -  every mount point was to the frame with custom made and fit 4" X 6" X 1/4" plate.  we would cut out the glass to get to the frame! The plate was welded to the roll cage legs -  and then welded to the frame -  Other way around -  we welded to the frame first -  then the cage legs.

Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline Carl Johansson

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »
carl
how fast ya hopin' ta go?
kent
225 when we get the big block in it.

Right now it still has the stock 350 in it -  we are just playing around -  but we think we will make 160 at WOS this year.

we are using it for D & C licensing and 130 and 150 mph club stuff this year -  plan on putting in the bigblock next winter!
Carl
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca