Author Topic: ECTA Maxton News  (Read 37152 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: ECTA Maxton News
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2007, 12:36:21 PM »
last meet.. next meet.. whats the difference? it sound like she'll race again and it sounds live she'll have a bike so to me it sounds like she'll get that lic.!
kent

landracing

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2007, 05:48:18 PM »
actually I was wrong about the lic.  Unfortunately the rule says that you have to complete the run...  bummer...

Hmmm  See even I have to read the rules now and again...

Sorry if I got your hopes up Deb... my mistake...  teach me to shoot off my mouth...

Keith

Thats BS..... Give her the A lic.  She deserves it, a completed run is running from the start to the end of the measured point... That is a completed run... Don't ever remember reading that vehicle has to come to a complete stop for it to be completed. Even more so for the ECTA since you can ride your race vehicle to and from an attempt.

SO KEITH, you are telling me that a completed run is when a vehicle starts at the start line, goes thru the timing traps, THEN has to drive it back to the impound area or pits (without stopping, Because ECTA allows this) ONLY Then when they stop the vehicle, it is a completed run.

Jon
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:54:46 PM by landracing »

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »
last meet.. next meet.. whats the difference? it sound like she'll race again and it sounds live she'll have a bike so to me it sounds like she'll get that lic.!
kent

She's got it by the rulebook... the rest is just paper.

REF: ECTA 2007 RULE BOOK, OPERATING PROCEDURES, Section I, Article I-14 DRIVERS LICENSING, Page 10

Anyone that has gotten an A license at ECTA by "NOT going OVER 200mph", got their license illegally. It was not valid until they reached 200.000mph(and by the way, from a B license anyone is legal to run up to 249mph right off the bat to obtain an A license).... "PER THE WRITTEN WORD".  

*NOTE: Running much over 200 at all is not recommended by ECTA of course for good reason and we agree with this, but this conversation is about LEGALITIES appearantly and what the rule book "SAYS".

Shut down or returning to impound is not part of a "satisfactorily completed" run at ECTA as proven by the points that have been distributed to those not completing shutdown or returning to impound in the past... this has gone on for many years and for past points championship winners as well.
It is not "written in the book" that someone has to make it out of shutdown, so it can't be an actual rule right? Precedent has been set on this by a recently over ruled protest - as stated by ECTA and the protested team... "It doesn't say it in the book!".

One would think the rules "should" all be read, used and interpreted the same way for each entrant.

ECTA will be receiving the A license Debbie was issued at the track back in the mail(she got it from her purse and layed it on my desk this morning when she read this, luckily.... "to her" it's no big deal and she would rather not receive it if there is any controversy whatsoever over it).

As Kent said... another day.

It's just racing man,
Todd

landracing

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2007, 06:01:38 PM »
The Race Director can overrule any rule, as he/she see's fit. In this case, which is a special case, I say give it to her. You can argue many points here.... She didnt loose control, she hit a darn cone, which caused the accident. Can further argue that cone was on the race surface, so it was in HER way. Didn't hear about the cone being in the grass.

Jon

Super Kaz

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2007, 07:11:34 PM »
The Race Director can overrule any rule, as he/she see's fit. In this case, which is a special case, I say give it to her. You can argue many points here.... She didnt loose control, she hit a darn cone, which caused the accident. Can further argue that cone was on the race surface, so it was in HER way. Didn't hear about the cone being in the grass.

Jon

Glad your OK,and it all worked out :-o! These Women Racer's are taking over Motorcycle racing everywhere :|..............

Offline Warp12

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2007, 07:22:54 PM »
Well, I would say that:

A) She went 212+ mph through the lights

B) She had the bike slowed down under 100 mph by 2nd shutdown.

C) She clipped a cone...which has been done before, even by a well-known record holder. (maybe the cones need to be relocated a bit?)

D) The bike made it back to impound (on a Van), I'm sure that if this had been a known issue, the ambulance could have swung her by as well.

E) What if someone pops their motor on the shutdown road, and it has to be towed back...does that mean their run didn't count?

F) Not that it is exactly the same thing...but what happens when a dragster blows apart after the finish line....does that mean the other guy wins by default?

Is there a precedent on this? What has happened in the past under these circumstances? What does it say in the rulebook?

I respect the decision of the powers that be. I just can't quite reconcile how this run is being nullified.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 07:42:39 PM by Warp12 »

bak189

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2007, 07:56:40 PM »
Give it to her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............what would SCTA/BNI
do?????????????????????? Do remember<NOOOOO>
riding or driving race vehicles back to the pit/starting line.....Insurance you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 08:23:44 PM »
CONFUSION ?
Do not confuse recorded speed or club points with the orientation that is the objective of the licencing program.
That includes a demonstration of all the aspects of a run from end to end.
Be satisfied the rider understands the problem and is going to learn a lesson that most will never experience.
Treat the rider as a rider  and not a novelty.
With the next step allowing a speed up to 250mph, I expect to see a better, faster result on the next attempt.
With regard to riding a race vehicle back , instead of empty theories, you are invited to call Bob Leggieo from MIS or any SCTA officer and hear of their requirements and reasons for the rule.
Only then can you speak with any kind of knowledge if you will. :roll:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 08:49:42 PM by JackD »
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Warp12

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2007, 08:33:49 PM »
CONFUSION ?
Do not confuse recorded speed or club points with the orientation that is the objective of the licencing program.
That includes a demonstration of all the aspects of a run from end to end.
Be satisfied the rider understands the problem and is going to learn a lesson that most will never experience.
Treat the rider as a rider  and not a novelty.
With the next step allowing a speed up to 150mph, i expect to see a better, faster result on the next attempt.
With regard to riding a race vehicle back , instead of empty theories, you are invited to call Bob Leggieo from MIS or any SCTA officer and hear of their requirements and reasons for the rule.
Only then can you speak with any kind of knowledge if you will. :roll:

Thanks for your post. But what is the rule? I haven't been able to find it in the ECTA rulebook...can you elaborate on the ECTA rules?

I am a newbie. But I haven't been able to find the rules of which you speak, in the ECTA rulebook.

Thanks.

Shane

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2007, 08:52:56 PM »
I believe the rule was reviewed by KT and paraphrased if not quoted here earlier.
Follow the thread from the start and it will be in a logical sequence. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Warp12

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 09:06:50 PM »
I believe the rule was reviewed by KT and paraphrased if not quoted here earlier.
Follow the thread from the start and it will be in a logical sequence. :wink:

Well, I trust KT to make the right decision. I am new to all of this, and still learning the ropes...

I would still like to see just 200 mph one day! LOL

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2007, 10:21:22 PM »
Jack, thank you for your view, and well stated enough to disappoint me that I didn't have to use my cryptic code deciphering ring. My only point was that all rules should be treated the same and as they are all there for a reason(and even though the more important ones are more safety oriented.. the reason is not always as it appears of why a rule exists or how it is administered). Either take them by their written word or take them by the reason they were written(certainly not very hard to figure out on the average article). Why state something that's now followed, and then require something that's not stated?

Licensing parameters at SCTA seem to be no less strict then the ECTA(more so on the contrary), yet the ECTA appears to have more reason(quicker thought and ability needed) to require handling capability testing for anyone allowed to power that vehicle for the weekend(that would be anyone or everyone).

3 things that I agree with an/or think should be taken into consideration are...

#1:
"Slow Speed" maneuvering should be required more then anything imo, as we allow full use of all race vehicles and anyone that wants to drive one in and around the pits, shutdown, registration and staging. Not to mention that we have NOWHERE that either restricts race vehicles from being under their own power in a given area, or that restrict others from being an a given area that race vehicles are allowed.
As far as I know... I 'm the only one that has ever required any entrants to show slow speed manueverability on thier open wheeled motorcycle.

#3:
"At Speed" licensing  could be monitored by(I know, more volunteers) mid track(at the turnouts) spotters(and the tower as usual). It's odd that those that are most concerned with the track seem to get concerned with the area of acceleration(1/8th to 1 mile mark) when ALL incidents have been from the traps down and the close calls have been in launching from the start line). I think the "At Speed" testing would prove to be thee least of our issues(as everyone that does this will agree that twisting the wick is the easy part of the run). Where this part really matters and is hard to test for is a clutch lockup(it's happened plenty), a blown motor(it happens too often), a deer(it happened), a bird(it happened x3), a rabbit(it happened), or a mis(or badly)placed cone(it's happened x2 minimum), a chain wrap, a bolt form a sprocket, etc, etc-  this is the stuff that will test someones actions/reactions.

#2:
"Shutdown" ability might show anything from speeds at a couple points in shutdown, body positioning as the vehicle slows, track position at different points and where the head is looking the entire time(just a few of the things WE will be concentrating on at this point). This is surely the most detrimental and problem prone area of the run. The only thing that makes this just slightly less important imo then #1 is that a mistake here most likely takes only you out, where as a Slow Speed(#1) scenario above shows probability of involving spectators, crew members, children, etc(reruns of Death Race 2000 are visualized here).

There have been 5 bikes down that I'm aware: 3 of them doing less then 10mph coming out of shutdown onto the return road(2 short, 1 long), 1 coming into/thru/and out of the traps at 165+/-mph, and 1(the latest) in shutdown doing between 55 and 80mph.

Yet we're discussing whether to give someone a piece of paper to show they ran what they already know they ran????:roll: How about we see who has a VALID license(like the book says), or even the ability to obtain a license, or the ability to even slowly move and park a vehicle(since that has to be done to even get into and out of the pits and onto the track). There was a truck at this meet that smacked another truck hard enough in staging to slam his tailgate shut from the fully down position(scared the shit out of me and I was glad I wasn't standing at that tailgate). Licensing? Making one single pass in a 10mph window does not show shit imo(and that's all the current realworld requirement is).
If you would be kind enough to guide me towards Bob Leggieo's phone number, I would like to call and gain as much of his knowledge as I like gaining yours.
Thank you Jack, your words are taken very seriously and appreciated,
Todd 

Shane,
Check page ten of your rule book. It matches the last section of the SCTA rule which allows you to run up 49mph from your D to C or from your C to B license, and 74mph going from your B to A license, and 99mph from your A to AA license. Which by the way(at SCTA)... can be mailed in to do so after the meet has passed(yeah man... all ya need is mail a copy of your timing slip).
Todd 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 10:24:03 PM by narider »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2007, 10:36:56 PM »
The Guthrie premise is not the same.
The speed recorded through the lights is recorded as such and applied to the standard.
Licencing and track orientation includes a demonstration of the ability to properly shut down the vehicle and clear the track from the limited speed.
With the crash, wherever or whenever, how is anyone to judge the merit of the attempt for the upgrade.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 11:06:37 PM »
The reference to the insurance company was in answer to the ill advised comment about operating a race vehicle outside a designated are and the resultant liability.
Maxton is not the same as El Mirage or Speedweek so the requirements will differ.
It was abuse if the privilege that caused the removal of the drive back allowance that was combined with the size of the crowd.
Dan Warner can speak with authority on the objective for the licencing program at SCTA.
The number for the insurance company is listed in the SCTA rulebook and I am sure Bob would provide his view, having been to a number of SCTA events.
Tell them I sent you and be sure to report back on your findings.

To everybody else, let Todd (or Deb LOL) do the research and then decide about your comments after you hear back.

"Better understanding makes for a better result." (me)

THX

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 11:31:20 PM »
TO BE CONTINUED  :-)