Author Topic: ECTA Maxton News  (Read 37161 times)

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
ECTA Maxton News
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:16:26 PM »
Debbie Dross aboard the Scott Guthrie Turbo went thru the traps at 212mph where she encountered a sudden meeting with a cone in our blind down hill right hander.  She held on pretty good but went down at lower speeds causing a broken collar bone, some bruising and abrasions.  She was sent to the Laurinburg Hospital where she was pronounced in good health and she is ready for more when she heals.  She did a great job and we are all very happy she survived her racing ordeal.

The Scott Guthrie Turbo however may be terminal.  we are still waiting for the final inspection and determination by Mr. Guthrie after it arrives to the Guthrie Racing Laboratories.

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline hawkwind

Re: ECTA Maxton News
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:29:59 PM »
What a bummer ,Deb get well soon ,212 wow  shame about the finish ,
Gary
slower than most

landracing

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 12:39:37 AM »
Hope Deb is ok. I see it was a Scott Guthrie Busa she was riding. I hope to hear her side of the story on what happened.

She is a trooper, she will prevail this is give it a go again in future.

Get well Deb, who all love ya...

And on a side note, congrats to Trillium for now the fastest women on two wheels at 218 mph on a turbo busa. Hope she can make it to Bonneville and do it again.

Jon
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 12:45:15 AM by landracing »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 03:47:57 AM »
Be careful how you say that.
Marcia is old enoughto be their mother. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 11:09:37 AM »
Sorry to hear that Deb got off at speed. She's tough and will be back. We are thinking of her and wish her a speedy recovery.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 02:21:15 PM »
damn... those maxton girls are tough.... 212 and 218..!!. I'd like to see one of em show up at b'ville and go faster than noonan... I'd never let him live it down if he got beat by a girl :-D... "EVER" :-D
Kent

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 11:31:24 PM »
Hey everyone! I'm here, I'm ok!

First off let me start by saying thank you to Scott & Ellen Guthrie for allowing me the honor of riding their bike. It tears me up that I was on their bike when I went down. What an awesome run. Everything came together and was rock solid. The bike was unbelievable! It was so smooth that I honestly didn’t realize how fast I was going! I had intended to try to run through at about 200. Turns out I ran through at 212!!!! What a ride! If I never have the opportunity to throw a leg over another turbo bike again I will always treasure this most awesome opportunity they have given me! I hope we can work together to get that bike back to what it was before I made that last pass!

Let me apologize now to everyone that was there for the scare! As soon as I stopped sliding I thought about standing up to let everyone know I was ok but knew better then to do it, so I just sat there with two thumbs up in hopes that everyone wouldn't panic! I knew my shoulder hurt but everything else felt & was moving as it should be. I had no clue where the bike ended up. All I knew was I just went down and I did it on someone else’s bike. What a sick feeling. I knew for the most part I was ok so it was easy for me to remain calm and in good spirits.

Everyone that came to my aid was top notch. The rescue squad was patient & understanding, the officials and volunteers and close friends were just great. Everyone was so concerned and understanding that it was just awesome.

So, what happened? Simply put, I hit a cone in shut down. In my opinion there were a few contributing factors, or more like mistakes on my part. The biggest one being going too fast too soon. I had intended to run around a 200 and feel out the shut down and generally progress a little at a time with the speed. I guess I just got a little caught up in things. We spent a lot of time going over how to execute the run and not so much on the shut down. My shut downs had been going well all day so there was no expectation that it would be problematic. (Possibly mistake number 1). Well, as it turns out I executed a very good run. Shifting was dead on, my tuck was great, wide-open throttle through 5th & 6th. Exactly as we had planned as the ultimate goal. What I failed to do in the heat of the run was come to the realization that the bike was geared for close to 220 (?) and that a successful full throttle run would net me well above 200. The run felt great! Rock solid no issues with the speed, no fear, no reason to back down. I hit shut down and executed it as I had all day. The problem being I was going faster then I had gone all day. I scrubbed off a lot of speed and as I was able to make my focus and orientation on the track to make the slight right turn all that came into focus was the cone in front of me. All I had to do was look to the right for the "hole" and all would have been well. Instead I fixed on the cone (target fixation). I thought, oh no, there's a cone, oh no, I'm going to hit the cone, I wanted to go right to avoid the cone but the last thing I thought was I'm going to hit the cone. It didn’t occur to me that hitting the cone would put me down to the ground. I guess in that fleeting moment I had hoped it would just bounce off & get my front end a little shaky. I grabbed as much brake as I could. It seems the cone got under the bike, flipped up and we low sided. I hit the cone with the left side of the tire. We went another 60’ or so and the tires went out to the left. The bike and I went down on the right. My right shoulder hit first. From there I essentially barrel rolled twice & slid to a stop at the edge of the grass. At the time I had no knowledge of the whereabouts of the bike. It ended up off course in the bushes beyond where I stopped. After we went back and checked the scrape marks we realized that the bike and I skidded parallel and only about 4 feet apart. I am quite lucky we didn’t get tangled up.

The end result to me is that I broke my right collarbone in two places. I have a bruised lung (because of that they kept me overnight at the hospital for observation) I have an “Indian burn” type rash on my left forearm about 3 inches long where the leathers twisted on my arm. My left hand is swollen & bruised.  My gear is shot but 100% did the job of protecting me. None of it wore completely through. I may be able to use my boots again and can definitely use my internal back protector. Everything else is road rashed but saved my hide! The bike as you would expect suffered fairing damage. It was able to be rolled back into the truck so that is encouraging.  We won’t know the extent of the mechanical damage until it is back home & torn down.

I’m out of the riders seat for somewhere around 3-6 weeks. I’ll have to see an orthopedic when I get home for the final prognosis. Had I not broken my clavicle I most definitely would have been back on a bike today. The speed didn’t scare me, the crash didn’t scare me. I won’t let that dang right bend get the better of me. I’ll be back out and work my way through a safe, controlled & consistent shut down while more slowly increasing my trap speed.

Thanks for all of the well wishes, thoughts and prayers. It’s back to pit tootsie for me for a few weeks but I plan to be back in the saddle in September!
Debbie Dross #1302
Twin Jugs Racing
Proud to be sponsored a ride by Scott Guthrie Racing

Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 11:53:13 PM »
Hey it is great to know you are well enough to write such an exciting report  8-).

I tried to e-mail you today only to find out you guys weren't taking e-mails off your site anymore  :cry:, so I'm glad I got to do it  here  :-D.

You are a brave gal and I look forward to meeting you and Todd one of these days.  Get well quick.  I broke my collarbone once, but it wasn't near as exciting as your experience.  You are going to be sore for a while, but I'm sure Todd loves taking care of you  :-o.

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 12:05:35 AM »
Well done.
Get well.
Well said.
Get back. 8-)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

LittleLiner

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 12:19:11 AM »
Deb you are my hero.   First let me apologize for the wise cracks and stupid jokes I was making while we were waiting those few seconds for the crash crew to arrive.  It is something I do when helping folks in scary situations.  It helps to break the tension although I must admit you were pretty calm and cool to begin with. 

Since I was one of the two shutdown workers I was an eye witness.  Your description of the crash is just as I saw it.   I think I got to you in about 10 seconds.  (NOTE to course workers - park your vehicle facing the track and have the key in the ignition.  I did . . . and it saved several precious seconds).  As you were going down my partner was on the radio "RIDER DOWN, RIDER DOWN!".  The tower was sounding the crash horn and the emergency crew was rolling.  Everything happened exactly as it should have happened and it was executed flawlessly. 

All that and  . . . 212mph!!  Wow!! 

Mend well, . . . Best Regards,  Art

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 03:09:27 AM »
It sounds like you were in good hands right away.
Talking straight up to an accident victim is very important to keep them focused and reduce the tendency to go into shock regardless of the nature or extent of the injuries.
A panicked voice around an injured party is just about the worse.

So does this make Deb the fastest women biker , without her bike ? :wink:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 08:26:52 AM »
Let me blob my responses into one post.
First thanks for the well wishes, they are much appreciated.

Jon, lets give Marcia her due respect, Trillium is the fastest woman on an open wheel motorcycle. Marcia is still the fastest woman on a motorcycle (streamliner). I had that wonderful distinction for a whole 2 1/2 hours on Saturday. I'm told the party was a good one, too bad I missed it! :D I'll be sure to make the next one! ;)

Art,
 Thanks a bunch! It was great having you there. The sense of humor was awesome and right up my alley! Everyone there was just so great! Thanks for you input on my get off. It's good to know my perspective wasn't skewed. Oh wait, one critique Art, it's imparitive that the shut down workers know the speed of the last run. I mean really, having to wait an entire minute to know I went 212, that's just inexcusable! (lmao - just kidding)

Jack,
 You are so right! Everyone was so calm and low key it was very soothing! I knew they were all tense inside and that I scared the heck out of them but they put on the game face and kept it light for me! That was so wonderful. Having people panicked around me would have made it tense. I was really ok and they helped keep it that way. I'm really not a fan of wrecking but if you have to do it, I couldn't have asked for a better scenario, response team and outcome.

Much love to all!
Debbie (Maxton's Fastest Motorcycle-less Woman LMAO)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 09:04:04 AM »
I see a suitable embroidered patch and sticker in your future to reflect your status as the " World's Fastest Motorcycle-less Woman".
The race for "Fastest Woman Open Biker" is in good hands also , but is very much still in contention.

"Watch out fat boys" (from an unnamed Pro Stock bike rider)   :wink:

Offline Larry Forstall

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 12:10:21 PM »
Talk about baptism under fire! Glad you are all right Deb. I admire your honest opinion of why you became Conan the Maxtonian. In all seriousness a bike can always be repaired by bolting on new parts. The human body, not so easy. Speaking of parts, I have everything needed to repair the bike chassis including a frame. Scott, when you read this let me know if the engine survived and we can get Deb back racing this fall. Gotta give the "Maple Leaf Mob" some competition. (Hell of a run Trillium under not ideal conditions.) Check out the Moto GP report  from yesterday Deb and you can compare your bounce/slide technique to Randy DePuniet. I see the entry now. Dross,Guthrie, Forstall & Associates. Sounds like a Philly law firm. :-D

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2007, 01:26:58 PM »
Deb, Glad to hear it was not any more serious than a collar bone that will heal.
 Is this kind of like the old flat track saying " You don't know how fast you can go till you fall off"? Your a racer and I know you will be back as soon as you can.
Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.