Author Topic: Salt Talks '07  (Read 10548 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Salt Talks '07
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:23:49 PM »
All right, boys and girls, gather ‘round and let me tell you a story about what has become the single-biggest social event during SpeedWeek.  It’s called Salt Talks.

Salt Talks is the annual gathering that Jon Amo, the racer that owns and operates landracing.com, started offering eight years ago.  It was meant to be a chance for those racers that hang out online – to get together in person after racing has ended for a day during SpeedWeek.  That’s still the idea – but Salt Talks has grown to host hundreds of people these days, many of whom aren’t on-line.  That’s dandy – the idea is to give us a chance to meet in person when we’re not in the pits, or in line, or in impound.

Salt Talks ’07 will be held Sunday evening, the 12th of August, at “The Bend in the Road”.  That phrase right there is a mystery to many folks – mostly those that haven’t driven out to the Salt yet.  The access road to where we race is a paved road about 5 miles long.  It goes straight north for a mile or two from I-80 and then turns 90 degrees to the right and continues for a couple of miles.  That turn is the only turn in the whole dang road – so it’s easy to use as a point of reference.  And there’s also a nice area there where many folks choose to camp, so attendees don’t have far to go from their luxury tent suites to the Salt Talks Gathering.

Back to Salt Talks ’07.  Festivities will begin after racing has wound down for the day on Sunday.  Nancy and I host the event, and we don’t plan to take our race bikes out of the trailer ‘til the day AFTER Salt Talks – so we’ll be setting up early enough that the food should be ready before you all get there (I mention this ‘cause last year were had a bike in impound Sunday and were late getting the charcoal started).  For food we’ll have quarter-pound hamburgers (I use my nitrous scale to weigh the patties – this is a race-related event, remember), big hot dogs, bratwurst, and a food that we bring all the way from Marquette – “pasties”.  Last year we brought 85 – and they went quickly, so if you want one – make sure to get there early before the gourmands scarf ‘em all up.  There’ll be pop to drink, too.  Other than condiments – whatever else is supplied is what you’ve brought to share.  Want potato chips?  Bring ‘em!  Ditto beer.  Ditto coleslaw.  Ditto steaks, etc.  We’d sure appreciate it if a few of you brought coolers into which we can toss the pop and your other refreshments.  We’ll try to have enough ice on hand – especially if you find us BEFORE Sunday evening and let us know so we can have the ice ready and waiting.

Salt Talks is not only a gathering – it’s a fund-raiser for landracing.com.  It’s also a self-liquidating operation.  With all that in mind – we’ll do a couple of things to generate bucks.  There’ll be a can or two for donations.  There’ll be Salt Talks ’07 t-shirts for sale*.  Last year we tried having a drawing/raffle/50-50 – and it worked out pretty well.  The gifts we gave away in the drawing were donated by many, many racers, so if your team has some t-shirts (for instance) we’d be happy to give away a couple of them as prizes.  We had jewelry donated, we got a bushel of apples to give away, we had all sorts of stuff – something like 100 gifts in all.  It was cool – the idea worked out well, so we’ll try to do it again this year.  If you’ve got stuff to give away – please think about letting me know in advance so we can keep track of what we’re getting.  You might as well just keep it with you ‘til you get to SpeedWeek – unless you want to ship it to me so we have to store it in our trailer.  Anyway, we spend a couple of thousand dollars in advance to buy the shirts, buy the food, and so on – and last year we gave away $500 to the ticketholder whose number we drew.  The money that’s left after the bills are paid – goes to landracing.com.  Salt Talks is your chance to help Jon keep the site running – and to get something more than the satisfaction that you’ve sent a check his way. 

So – some important details:  Salt Talks ’07 will be Sunday afternoon, 12 August 2007, at the Bend in the Road.  We’ll likely get started around 6PM or so, and things’ll wind down after dark (if we get lucky we’ll even have a fireworks display like we did last year).  There’s likely to be hundreds of people, so plan on having a sore throat the next morning (from all the talking you’ll be doing).  Bring chairs if you want to sit down.  We’ll have a lie detector available in case (just in case, you understand) some racer makes a claim about “how fast I really went, but Glen must have missed something in the timing tower ‘cause the timing slip only showed a speed that was way lower than what I was going through the lights.” 

Got it?  Oh, yeah – I put one of those * marks up there about t-shirts, didn’t I?  Here’s the story:  We order scads of shirts, getting mostly large and extra-large.  We get a few in other sizes – but if you want to be sure your size is in the mix, please get in touch with me BEFORE I order.  We can get everything from kid’s sizes to 3XL, and we can get ladies styles (string tops), too (even though those shirts don’t have room for art on both front and back, but we can get ‘em).  Let me know what size you want.  Let me know by either email to jon@infodestruction.com or buy contacting me at the office:  Star Industries, 906 249 3342.  I’ll take your name and order request and try to fill your needs with the right shirts.

More later, no doubt.  In the meantime – WE’LL SEE YOU ON THE SALT!!!!

Signed:

Seldom Seen Slim
a/k/a The Potentate of Porta-Potties
a/k/a Jon Wennerberg
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

Re: Salt Talks '07
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 02:07:22 AM »
Great write up Jon,

I would also like to add a HUGE thanks to Jon and Nancy for taking on the tast of getting Salt Talks organized they last few years. They and a number of other volunteers have really made it what it is the last couple of years and they ALL DO A GREAT JOB. And it's my time to say THANK YOU.

Vehicle selection for the shirts is in final stages right now and will be sent off for artwork to be done.

The number of people who show up at the gathering has grown every year. And it shows. It's a great time to relax from the racing day, and to actually get some time to talk to other racers. The racing day, most are so into what they are doing they don't have time to see other racers. And it's a great place to put a name with an email address or screen name on the message forums.

Thanks again all.
Jon

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 12:57:10 PM »
You thought I was kidding when I told you how popular pasties are in our neck of the woods,right?  Well, boys and girls, take a lookie here and see for yourselves:

http://www.mininggazette.com/stories/articles.asp?articleID=7218

http://www.michiganfoodways.org./food/recipecontest-calumet.HTML
(Note the photo -- the person making the pasties should be shaped like a pasty, too.)((For some reason the link didn't all go through.  If it doesn't work, copy-and-paste the entire address so you can see the story.))

This year Nancy and I are planning on bringing 100 pasties to Salt Talks.  Last year we had 85 -- and they went so quickly that I didn't get one.  So - a few more will be available. 

We've also got 160 1/4# hamburger patties and 140 1/4 hot dogs in the freezer already, as well as about 50 bratwurst.  Don't plan anything else for late Sunday afternoon of SpeedWeek -- it's Salt Talks '07!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 11:15:18 PM »
I'd like to make a suggestion for salt talks and a contribution  :roll:
The suggestion, make the 50-50 a $200 or a 25% for the winner, 75% for expenses with the remainder to keep the website going.
The contribution, we will contribute some of the sought after "Ben Jordan's Automobile Dictionary" for the raffle. we will bring them to the salt and get them to you before (unlike last year  :| ) the raffle  :wink:
See y'all there!
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Salt Talks '07
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:56:47 AM »
Here's the latest on Salt Talks '07:

I ordered the pasties last week -- 100 of 'em this year.  They're made by Nylund's Pasties of Crystal Falls, Michigan.  If you don't know just what the heck is a pasty, follow this link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_pasties

Okay, I've heard from Darryl, the guy that makes the t-shirts, and Nancy and I will place the order for about 100 or so shirts within the next few days.  The vehicles have been selected, and we'll be getting mostly large, XL, and some XXL shirts.  If you want a size not mentioned -- XXXL to kid's to ladies' string tops -- lemme know pronto!

As for the raffle/auction/50-50 drawing -- we've got some stuff already donated, but I'd be tickled pink if you'd come forward and let me know that you'll be supplying a t-shirt from your race team, a five-gallon cooler of sport drink, or whatever the heck you care to offer up.  Salt Talks is not only the annual gathering for racers that hang out on the internet all year long -- to get together in person after racing is done for the day.  NO, Salt Talks is also a big annual fund raiser for landracing.com.  We pay for the shirts and the food and that stuff, and Jonathon gets a bunch of money to help keep the site up and running, and to help him give us the coverage that he does.

So -- this year we've already been given a set of golf clubs (irons), Rocky Robinson will donate a signed copy of his new book "Flat Out", there'll be jewelry, shirts, and -- ready for this?  Sumner will offer a guided tour for a day or so of the scenery around Blanding, Utah.  Last year Nancy and I spent a day and a half riding with him in his Jeep, exploring ruins and caves and sights you won't see if you don't have someone show 'em to you -- they're way out there, and he's been there enough to know how to get you there.  This is a great way to spend a day -- ask some of the other racers that have taken advantage of his offer.  I've attached a photo we took last year on our trip.  I've got more, but I don't want to overload the system, so I chose the best one.  Okay, okay, I'll add a few more so Sum doesn't feel like I'm picking on him.

That's it for today.  Think of what you'd like to donate, and make sure your SpeedWeek plans include a stop at the Bend in the Road Sunday evening, 12 August 2007, after racing is done for the day.  Join 300 or so of your closest friends for burgers, hot dogs, brats, pasties, and some good bench racing.  See you on the Salt!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 12:08:52 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
........... Okay, okay, I'll add a few more so Sum doesn't feel like I'm picking on him.............

Wow, I'm impressed you attached pictures, I'll assume all by yourself  :wink:.  Actually I think you let the air out of the tire when I wasn't looking just to watch me change it :-o

In case some of you don't know what that picture (my house) is it is the inside of an "unrestored kiva" that is about 800-900 years old.  If you don't know what a kiva is and want to know google "Anasazi Kiva".

Here is where it is located.

And you thought Jon was a brave guy for riding over 200 on a bike.  You should have seen his eyes when I told him we were going out there  :lol:.  Now Nancy took one look and said let's get going  :-) .

If some of you have been to the 4 corners area, but only seen the typical tourist stuff and want to see more this would be a good trip for you and bidding on it would help landracing.com.

c ya,

Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »
Sum
Didja ever think to ask the Letter carrier (No Mas Mailman) why you have so much trouble with UPS ?

Travel Tips fo da big city traffic and Bonneville too.:

As yo are leaving a place, put out on the Internet that there is a whole bunch of FREE stuff at the place you are just leaving.
Sum took a lotta notes and can fill you in on the details. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 01:07:45 AM »
hey slim,
I got some swag i'll donate to ya. put me down for 3 freebies!
kent

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 05:02:10 AM »
Slim,

I will bring another 3 poster picture as donation......alright....one reason more to be at the Salt Talk
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 05:07:16 AM »
Sum,

is this the Walnut Canyon?
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 11:35:51 AM »
Sum,

is this the Walnut Canyon?

I think you are talking about the canyon down by Flagstaff.  This one is only about 15 miles (crow flying miles  8-) ) from my house and is a side canyon off of the larger Arch Canyon.  Most people that travel through this area have no idea what is a couple miles from the highway.  The highways and towns try and stay on the mesa tops where is is flat, so you look out like say from my place over to Mesa Verde in Colorado and it looks pretty flat, not so.  There is a mountain range 10 miles behind town to the north that goes up to almost 11,000 feet, but since the town is at 6000 feet most of the neat stuff is the canyons that go down from the 6000 feet to under 4000 feet.

Here is a very small tour of the area.

Comb Ridge is the largest single geological feature in the area and starts about 10 miles west of town and goes for over 90 miles down into AZ wrapping around the east side of Monument Valley (where they shot a lot of John Wayne movies and where a lot of car commercials are still shot).  You can see where the highway goes through it in a big cut a couple feet in front of George's shoulder.

Ruin Remains from over 800 years ago near Comb Ridge called Cave Tower Ruins.

Here is the same wall as you look down from the canyon rim.  Do you see it??

More at the same site and there are even more at this site.  They say there are over 100,000 ancient Indian ruin sites in our county.  These were done at the same time and earlier than those at Mesa Verde.  We have way more around Blanding than there are around Cortez in Colorado.

Muley Point looking about 2000 feet down into the San Juan River about 50 miles from town and looking over to Monument Valley in the distance.

The Goose Necks below Muley Point where the San Juan goes 12 miles but only gains about 1 1/2 miles in direction due to the bends.  There is one more bend to the right of the picture that I couldn't get into the shot.

This is just a small sampling.  Bid on the "tour" at Salt Talks and come see this and more in person.  If we get a flat I'll let you change tires as part of the overall experience  :-) .

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 11:42:29 AM by Sumner »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 11:59:30 AM »
Sum
Great pictures, we are so lucky to live in Utah and see the beauty some will never have the time to enjoy. Carol and I never get tired of a day trip to one of the canyons or other spots. Our grand son will be here in a couple of weeks and he wants to see Bryce again and Zion as well. The last time he got to see Bryce with the snow and and not a foot print in it. There were only about 12 people at the park that day. A day trip here can always turn into some kind of adventure along the way.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 04:48:54 PM »
I've just placed the order for Salt Talks '07 t-shirts, and want to tell you that you'd better all buy some -- we've never ordered this many.  Nancy insists that this is going to be the biggest, best Salt Talks ever -- so I've got damn near 150 shirts coming, including some ladies' tank tops and a good bunch in size 3XL.

The golf clubs arrived today -- so I know we'll have those for the festivities.  We're thinking that since there are going to be more than a few really nice gifts -- that instead of just drawing for them all, we'll do something like a "silent auction" where we'd list the fancy gifts on a chalkboard and let folks "bid" as the event goes on.  At something like 8 PM we'd see who had signed up with the highest price for each item -- and as long as you're there, you come pay for it and it's yours.  If you're not there -- well, maybe we'd put that item back into the giveaway pile.  We're not sure about this all yet -- we're going to Maxton for the weekend and will have lots of hours of windshield time to discuss and fine tune.

Whatever we do with the gifts -- make sure you buy a few t-shirts.  WE don't want leftovers, and Jonathon gets some of the proceeds from the shirts sales, too.

If you've got something to donate to the drawing or the silent auction, let me know and I'll put you on the list.  Thanks.    jon@infodestruction.com

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 01:23:55 PM »
Salt Talks '07 update:

So far we've accumulated a set of golf clubs for the drawing/door prizes, and Sum's fine offer of a guided tour of the outback around his place in Blanding (see photos, above), and Pork Pie has stepped up to the plate (if you'll pardon the hockey reference) with his promise to bring three photos to be given away.  Last year they were framing and wall-hanging-size -- outstanding memories of Salt Flats vehicles.  Well worth buying a bunch of tickets for the chance of winning one of the photos.

The Ack Attack team has donated an "Advantage Motorsports" data acquisition system, complete -- wires, control unit, harness, and so on.  The whole thing will be yet another prize at the drawing. 

Nancy is doing up a mosaic like the one I've attached below -- and that'll be a prize at the drawing, too.

If memory serves we've got offers and promises of other stuff -- and will gladly accept whatever you'd like to send, too -- team t-shirts, a box of fresh fruit, a ride in your 2 Club vehicle -- whatever you'd like to have immortalized at the Salt Talk's get-together this August 12th. 

Make your plans to be there.  By the way -- I've asked the t-shirt maker if he'll make up a batch of shirts that say something like "I missed Salt Talks '07 because I was in Impound!"  I hope you qualify for one, even if it means you won't be with us for a bite to eat.

See you on the Salt!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 01:29:31 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 02:57:20 PM »
Salt Talks promo - the next iteration.

For gifts at the drawing this year we've got (so far):

A set of irons (golf clubs) and a data logger system by Advantage Motorsports, both donated by the Ack Attack team.

Three large-format photos, suitable for framing, of salt race vehicles, donated by Pork Pie.

Two large format photos, suitable for framing, donated by Michael Lueders.

Four pieces of U.P. jewelry, donated by Bob Procunier -- a fellow that works for me here at Star Industries.

A mosaic of the Salt donated by the one, the only -- Mrs. Seldom Seen Slim, a/k/a Nancy.

A couple of freebies (to use his words) donated by Kent Riches of AirTech.

An autographed copy of the book "Flat Out" by Rocky Robinson (rider of the Ack Attack streamliner bike).

A guided tour of some of the areas around Blanding, Utah, donated by Sumner Patterson.

I'm waiting for teams to step up and offer one or two of their team t-shirts.  The more the merrier, please.  And if you've already told me of something that you're planning on donating -- and I haven't listed it here -- it's because I'm forgetful.  Tell me again, hey?  Salt Talks '07 is three weeks from day-after-tomorrow, you know.  See you on the Salt!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com