Author Topic: FRAME RULES?  (Read 3464 times)

Offline Ervin

• New folks
FRAME RULES?
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »
Help, Help! I'm totally new to to land speed, and having a hard time interpreting the rule book. I have a 33 Ford coupe body and want to make it comply to the /CGALT class. I'm guessing that the rule book is written in a progressive manner, in that I start out in 'classic', add on 'modified' and then read on to 5.D.2 where it finally gets to 'frames'.
  The very last line of that paragraph, "This rule does NOT apply to vintage body class vehicles"  What does that mean for me? Do I need a frame above or below the body? Or does it matter?
 I want to get started and the frame is the place to start, but don't know just where to put it. all help is appreciated.

Thanks for helping,     ERVIN

Offline RichFox

Re: FRAME RULES?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 11:29:34 AM »
Your '34 may sit on top of the frame as it was built, or may be channeled the width of the frame. or anywhere in between.

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 02:23:37 PM »
Rich is correct. The previous sentences apply to a post '48 body, '50 Merc, '53 Stude, etc., on the stock frame.
In that case you cannot pitch the body on the frame for aero rake and weld in on.

DW

Offline Ervin

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 05:04:19 PM »
Rich Fox,  I measure width left to right or horizontal. Did you mean the height of the frame? So to be specific, as long as the frame is exposed to a 'visual',,can be seen in a profile from the side view, from cowl to rear wheel, it should be good???????
  Help me understand,,thanks,,   Ervin

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 05:35:19 PM »
Horizontal. If you look at the picture of my '32, upper left, when new it sat on top of the frame rails. That was legal. It was lowered over the frame rails the same width as the side members. Channeled. That is also legal. If I lowered it even farther over the frame it would no longer be legal. So you don't need to see the frame between the cowl and rear wheel, but the bottom of the body may not be lower than the bottom of the frame. You can have a high boy type car, and many do. Then the frame is showing and that's fine also.