Author Topic: El Mirage Minimums  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

El Mirage Minimums
« on: May 07, 2007, 07:40:16 PM »
Ok, I've got it.
Glen L'heureux in APS-G 250 runs 148.945 on a 157.624 record and gets 188 points.

Nick Rock in the Costella streamliner S-G 250 runs 144.568 on a 135.000 minimum and gets 234 points.

Vesco ran 172 in S-G 250 at Bonneville and it seems to me that the minimum should be closer to that speed.

No question how you win the points race. Race the minimum and stay away from the records. It's no coincidence a side car won the points championship. I don't think you will see anything else for a long time.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: El Mirage Minimums
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 07:57:58 PM »
The Vesco liner is a bad comparison between the speeds at El Mirage and Bonneville.
Most liners benefit substantially from the additional distance to run up.
The "Slide Car " minimums were established by the first person to get a season championship under those rules he made himself.
After the submission by him and no evaluation by the board he came back to even lower those and that is when they took a look and wisely said "NO" but the first cats were out of the bag so to speak.
They are chasing each others tail and you are not in the inner circle.
That is what you are competing against. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 08:06:14 PM »
One thing worthy of note: I was at cone 5 tower side. There was a big whoop in front of me that I saw some cars get in the air over. When the 5050 bike ran there was a 15-18 mph crosswind. It ran 144, looked like the chute pulled it sideways. Anyway it went through the lights sideways, never went down or over. Maybe there are some new tricks in that old dog.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 09:17:30 PM »
glen
you win a championship by setting records.. you get bonus points for setting records... you need at least 4 good records and 2 bump ups to get the championship. the Butlers won their champ 2 years ago by bumping....  all of Derick's and Dales champs were run on minimums. I have a real good feeling that this years will also be won by breaking minimums.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »
"Minimum sorta racing is sorta it's own reward."
I guess ya gotta just laugh, I know I do all the time. :roll:

Current and undisputed World Speed Record Holder over 40 years for a Bowling Ball as certified by agents of the US Federal Government.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »
OBTW

The "SLIDE CAR" minimums that I mentioned before that were set by the person to first benefit from them, did it again this past weekend.
"It is kinda like RAPE, if you are not going to say anything about it, you must enjoy it.
If you lay back and enjoy it, business must be good." (me)  :x