Author Topic: Rookie at El Mirage  (Read 3658 times)

Offline V8Pinto

Rookie at El Mirage
« on: May 07, 2007, 07:25:56 PM »
Hello,

I just went to El Mirage for the first time and must say I was delighted with how friendly everyone was, especially to an out of town newbie like myself.  Once I got passed the rookie orientation scheduling fiasco, the entire weekend was a blast.

I ran as a guest (not a member of an SCTA club) on my stock down to the tire pressure 06' Busa Limited. 

Thanks to Kent, Randy, Matt, and a slew of other people for being so free with good advice.  Hope to see you in June.

BTW - how in the world do you deal with the lack of traction at those speeds?  I've been riding dirt and street for almost 30 years but nothing prepared me for the feel of 177mph with a crosswind on dirt...

I love it!  I can't wait until next month.

Shane
306 N2O Pinto
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline hayaboosta

Re: Rookie at El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:41:53 PM »
Hi Shane, I made it to the event on Sunday only and saw you in the front of the Rookie lane.  I wanted to check in and see how everything was going, I was having an electrical issue and it kept me busy for the short time we were there.

The 177 is impressive, especially given the weather and track conditions.

Happy to see you have caught the "sickness" and will attend next month.  Give me a call or email.

Scott
909 392-2233
scott@headsupturbos.com
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:07:19 PM »
shane

glad ya finally got to make some passes.... dude you sat in that rookie lane for a long ass time.... now you can tell all your friends you own a 177mph dirt bike :-D

whats up scott..... really.... whats up, ya think is elect voo doo..?
kent

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 02:56:51 AM »
Kent- I am hitting the Dyno in the next day or so to see if I can replicate the 6k stutter.  I hate when that happens!! :x
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 06:11:21 PM »
Here is a lesson to put in the back of your noggin'. 

We were performing a quick dyno tune on the bike after switching turbos and fuel management systems.  The bike was WAY rich so I activated the second stage of boost and it used most of the fuel.  I tuned the bike to the second stage since I was running out of time and planned on running one level of boost any way. 

After the dyno session we cleaned up the bike, zip tied all the wires and headed for the lake bed on Sunday.  I pull away from staging and reach 6000 rpm and the bike starts missing, it won't exceed 6k.  Having a good idea what may cause something like this, but not having diagnostic equipment we tried unsuccessfully to ID the gremlin.

I told my disappointed guys that five minutes on the dyno and I will find the problem.  All I need is fuel pressure, boost and A/F numbers and I will find the culprit.  Sure enough, I made a pull, the bike was off the scale rich.  I looked at the boost controller, then the fuse that handles the circuit which was the high beam (the high beam switch on the bar activates the second stage), BINGO. 

I had never relied on the two stage to run the bike before, and when the fuse was toast, there was 6psi less boost and the bike (PCIIIr controlled) ran so rich it would not exceed 6k rpm.  I hope this was the last time I was the poster child for lack of preparation.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 08:38:35 PM by hayaboosta »
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 12:31:09 AM »
Here is a lesson to put in the back of your noggin'. 

We were performing a quick dyno tune on the bike after switching turbos and fuel management systems.  The bike was WAY rich so I activated the second stage of boost and it used most of the fuel.  I tuned the bike to the second stage since I was running out of time and planned on running one level of boost any way. 

After the dyno session we cleaned up the bike, zip tied all the wires and headed for the lake bed on Sunday.  I pull away from staging and reach 6000 rpm and the bike starts missing, it won't exceed 6k.  Having a good idea what may cause something like this, but not having diagnostic equipment we tried unsuccessfully to ID the gremlin.

I told my disappointed guys that five minutes on the dyno and I will find the problem.  All I need is fuel pressure, boost and A/F numbers and I will find the culprit.  Sure enough, I made a pull, the bike was off the scale rich.  I looked at the boost controller, then the fuse that handles the circuit which was the high beam (the high beam switch on the bar activates the second stage), BINGO. 

I had never relied on the two stage to run the bike before, and when the fuse was toast, there was 6psi less boost and the bike (PCIIIr controlled) ran so rich it would not exceed 6k rpm.  I hope this was the last time I was the poster child for lack of preparation.

Scott,

Glad you got it figured out, now take one of those easy Noonan records and get the maroon hat!!!

Scott if there is anything you need let me know!!

J

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 02:34:41 PM »
"easy Noonan records" hahahahaa.

I'm happy just to make it to the lakebed!
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4