Author Topic: El Mirage pics 05/05/07  (Read 16802 times)

landracing

Re: El Mirage pics 05/05/07
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 09:14:49 AM »
His servent....

Super Kaz

« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 09:47:09 AM »
Nice photo of Jason McVicar.  Who's the guy with the broom?

Slim,

Just the Winner of the Cleanest/Nicest Pit's Award !  :roll:

Sponsored by www.Landracing.com's Jon"200mph 600cc" Ammo :-D!

Thanks for asking my Brother  :wink:!

How the New Tattoos coming along :-o?

Kaz...............

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 04:14:42 PM »
Kaz,
  I glad to see that your bike is making noise!  Maybe all I needed to do was move so Gil had space to work on it! 

Go to http://topgear-products.com/ for the bike hauler.  They are fairly easy to make, but for his price, why waste the time!  Tell Jim I sent you. 

Hope to see you on the dirt/salt soon.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2007, 11:26:02 AM »
A problem with the bike hauler as shown here -- and the ones that I built from scratch, which are damn near identical to these -- is the the tie-downs, being fixed to the vehicle (whether to bumper or to the outriggers on the hauler per se -- is that when the driver of the tow vehicle turns, the bike rear tire swings to the inside of the turns -- and since there's a steering head angle involved, there is a large force placed on the outside-of-the-turn tie down trying to pull the bike back to upright.  Result:  The clip-on gets warped into submission, or the tie-down fails and the bike falls over.  Want something even worse to happen?  Walk away for a moment, and have someone decide that your rig is in the wrong place, decide he should move it, and therefore backs it up.  Big damage when the turning stresses are applied!  El Mirage November '04, I think it was, when we learned this lesson.

We suffered this more than once, and that's why we went to the trailer-ette where the bike is secured only to the trailer.  Go ahead and use a hauler like the one shown -- but beware of me coming up to you, seeing your bent bike, and saying "I told you so!".
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2007, 01:49:51 PM »
S.S.S.,
  You are correct with your information.  I have experienced the same issues.  That being said, I used the device when I hauled my whole operation to the Bub event in the back of my F150.  This device was brought to the salt in the receiver (inverted) so it took no bed space.

You have an awesome set up, it can tow the bike safely and securely without issue.  The Top Gear or similar device CAN be a nice alternative considering space, and budget. 

I killed one of my steering stops at the 6/10 El Mirage meet and was saved by the help of fellow racers.  Like a sharp knife, the bike hauler works well, if you know how to use it and display caution. 

We have a device in the works that is the same concept as your hauler.  Thanks again for your "don't ask me how" experiences.
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)