Author Topic: Got me hooked  (Read 2334 times)

Offline revolutionary

Got me hooked
« on: April 29, 2007, 05:12:52 PM »
OK, so I went to the Maxton event last month and damn if I didn't like it. How bad did it bite me?  I just sold my drag car and bought a 96 Firebird for some LSR fun.  Damn you people - have you no shame?  Forcing good times on unsuspecting victims!

I've spent the day pulling all of the interior out so I can take it to get a cage next week.  I plan on putting the full interior back in so I can drive on the street, in SS classes and in some production classes.  By the way, pulling the dash out of a late model F body is lots of fun.

My only problem now is making some decisions about the cage.  I wanted to go ahead and go straight to a 12 point cage while I have it apart, but where the front bars go though the firewall and to the front of the chassis, they would go directly where the factory computer is on one side and through the fuel lines on the other and I was really hoping to keep it there and not have to change a boatload of wiring and plumbing yet. The rule book says the to run 175 (I'm a t-top car)you need a 'roll cage' and it shows a picture of a generic 12 point but it does not state whether it actually requires a 10, 12 or 14 point cage.  I sure want to protect myself and be legal but also fairly practical.  Anybody have prior experience getting the regs lined out here.  Can I use a 10 point and delete the front bars?
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline t russell

Re: Got me hooked
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 06:26:45 PM »
Glad you got bit you can use the 10 point , look at some of the other 3/4 gen cars see what they done .
enjoy your illness.
terry

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 12:37:23 AM »
Dear Revo:
Change your party affiliation and you will have more fun.
They won't know that you have been a member of a different organization.
The LSR party has been around for a longtime. They just weren't active
in your neighborhood.
Convert part of your 401k to gas money for a B'ville trip.
Your accountant won't even know where to enter the change in your
Income Tax. He may be able to cover it in your Health Care policy.
FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 09:51:05 AM »
Rev -
Not sure how much I can add but...

First of all, the SOB's got me hooked in April of 2006, so I know how you feel.  While a bit odd, these folks are mostly harmless, and a lot of fun.

About the 'cage - all I know is my own experience with my Mustang convert, which was built for NHRA brackets.  First if all, T-tops are considered, for ECTA safety purposes, the same as a convert.  Second, my 'Stang has a Maximum Motorsports 6 point, and is tech'd by Keith at 150.  I couldn't have run at all without the cage.  I have a rear-mount battery w/outside cutoff, and again, this was necessary.  As far as 10 point vs 12 or 14 points, and higher speeds, I'd E-mail Keith - he da man.

If you want to do some volunteering at the track, contact me and we'll find you a job.  When it comes to volunteering, I be da man! (But just recently).  You can get me thru the website, or at stokes_dan@yahoo.com.

Welcome to the party!
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:11:06 PM »
Called up Keith this morning (see what you get for putting your cell # in the ECTA book?) and he clarified this morning.  No front bars necessary.  I really appreciate the help and look forward to seeing everyone again soon.
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931