Author Topic: E Mirage Dry Lake Bed Rookie Meeting?  (Read 20319 times)

Super Kaz

E Mirage Dry Lake Bed Rookie Meeting?
« on: April 29, 2007, 07:21:25 AM »
To whom it make concern,
I Hope to be at El Mirage for the 1st Race of the Season"May 5th-6th'' with my new club SDRC.

I don't have my Race V-rod Finished,but still have my DUTIES to perform on Sunday.

I would love to be able to LEASE/BORROW a Bike to get my Rookie License Run in?

Anyone have a spare Motorcycle  I Could use?

Is it "Rookie Orientation" Friday at 4:00pm or Saturday at 6:00am  :??

I have heard both and could use the advice! :-(

It's gonna be A Hot Trip,but what ever it takes TO BE ABLE TO RACE?

Any El Mirage Rookie advice would be Much Appreciated :oops:.

Thanks,

Kaz..............

dwarner

Re: E Mirage Dry Lake Bed Rookie Meeting?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »
Kaz,

Use your Bonneville experience and don't run off the end into a mirage lake. Go where you are told. See previous post for a sample of Kaz's racing stories.

DW

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:35:15 PM »
One of the EX officials that has seen more racers go by at speed than most and has been doing it for years did a BOO BOO.
He took a drive in a racer recently and drove it off the end of the prepared salt at speed and stuck it the Mormon Trail.
He thought he was above the licencing process and found the truth was when he was some distance below the surface when he stopped.
Call orientation what you want, but it sure makes a difference. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 01:42:54 PM »
After you stop seeing mile markers it's time to shut down. Count 3 then pop the chute. El Mirage is easier, you only have 1 to count (plus the "back door").

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 02:57:29 PM »
I was told Rookie orientation is at 4:00 p.m. on Friday.
El Mirage is easier, you only have 1 to count (plus the "back door").
It's not "plus" it's "minus". Everybody is expected to be stopped before going out the "back door". If you haven't been there, the lake bed is 5 miles long, but we only use one end of it. Past the last line of cones is the "back door" and there is a patrol there to keep the traffic out, but you can't count on it. If you go out the back door you may get traffic. Heck, we get the odd idiot that drives their bike through the cones, past the warning signs, across the RACE course.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 10:22:28 PM »
Kaz,

In addition to doing the Rookie orientation you mentioned that you are doing the Rookie Patrol Duty. Patrol Meetings are at 7:00 A.M. at the Timing Tower. That's not mandatory for Rookies since you will be pulling duty with an experienced Club member, but still a good idea to see what happens with patrols.

As Sgt.@Arms for SDRC my duty to contact you regarding your duty has just been performed. WELCOME to SDRC and El Mirage, hope you hook-up with a Bike ride!

The SDRC Pits are at the starting line area  between the staging lanes and Inspection and in the second group off the front row.

Tom G.

Super Kaz

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 11:42:05 AM »
Kaz,

In addition to doing the Rookie orientation you mentioned that you are doing the Rookie Patrol Duty. Patrol Meetings are at 7:00 A.M. at the Timing Tower. That's not mandatory for Rookies since you will be pulling duty with an experienced Club member, but still a good idea to see what happens with patrols.

As Sgt.@Arms for SDRC my duty to contact you regarding your duty has just been performed. WELCOME to SDRC and El Mirage, hope you hook-up with a Bike ride!

The SDRC Pits are at the starting line area  between the staging lanes and Inspection and in the second group off the front row.

Tom G.

Tom G. ,

Thank You for the Welcome :wink:!

Is there a Map or  an Address ''for El Mirage Dry Lake Bed" to input into my Nav. system
 :?
I Sure don't want to be Late or Lost :-o!

So be there Friday by 4:00 PM for Rookie Orientation at the Timing Tower? :oops:

Can we Sleep out there or do you have to leave the Course at Night?

If so where does everybody stay " any Special Racer's Hotel's?''Near by??

I Don't really know what to expect so my mind is on Overload :mrgreen:!

It will be Nice just to smell the Race Gas in the Morning Again 8-)!!!!!

See Ya Soon,and Thanks again,

Kaz........

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 11:53:58 AM »
.......................Is there a Map or  an Address ''for El Mirage Dry Lake Bed" to input into my Nav. system

So be there Friday by 4:00 PM for Rookie Orientation at the Timing Tower? :oops:

Kaz........

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2340.0.html

Sum

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »
Kaz,

Tom G.

Tom G. ,

Thank You for the Welcome :wink:!

Is there a Map or  an Address ''for El Mirage Dry Lake Bed" to input into my Nav. system

Kaz........

You might get some information and answers needed from this thread:

Landracing.com > El Mirage Discussion > El Mirage General Chat > MOTELS AROUND EM

Good luck,

The other Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 12:03:13 PM »
Running out the back door should constitute: no speed, no tag, and no running for a specified time. Without better control this privilege could disappear. The chief timer will be waiting down at the end to watch what's happening. It is my belief that it should be mandatory to not go out the back. If you do; consequences should happen....No Grace Period...Same for habitual drivers whose parachutes have a hard time opening.

We all have opinions. Good luck........................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Super Kaz

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 12:11:01 PM »
.......................Is there a Map or  an Address ''for El Mirage Dry Lake Bed" to input into my Nav. system

Kaz........

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,2340.0.html

Sum

Sum,

I Just read it Thanks :oops:!

I Still can't find the address in the Directions,but I'm a little SLOW when it comes to Following Directions :?.

Please be  Patient with me I'M NEW :mrgreen:!

Thanks again,

Kaz.........

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »
Kaz,

I believe directions are on the SCTA/BNI website.

Most of the folks spend the night in the pits (RV, tent, back of truck or cot on the lakebed). There are a few Motels in Adelanto (HWY 395) but not much else. It's about 15 minutes from the lakebed. There is a lot to choose from in Victorville (I-15) which is about 30 minutes away.

There is a Caterer that will be there Saturday A.M. thru Sunday (hopefully) and they have pretty good food. SDRC has a gas grill, just bring something to BBQ.

Tom

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 01:03:18 PM »
Kaz,

Some more information:

The Patrol meetings are at 7:00 AM at the Timing tower on the South side of the course at the finish line. The Rookie drivers meeting @ 4:00 PM is at the Inspection trailer.

Tom

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 08:11:09 PM »
Note the change on the patrol meeting location. Last year it was at the starting line, this year it's at the finish line. There is bound to be a bunch of late, lost patrols.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Super Kaz

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 09:26:06 AM »
Note the change on the patrol meeting location. Last year it was at the starting line, this year it's at the finish line. There is bound to be a bunch of late, lost patrols.

Dean,
Thanks Bro! :wink:
If you see a Guy in a Bright Neon Green Rossi Suit walk around aimlessly walk around LOST :oops:!
POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! :mrgreen:

THANKS AGAIN,
Kaz...............