Author Topic: Finally ready to go streaking  (Read 10701 times)

Offline sabat

Finally ready to go streaking
« on: April 22, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »
Hi folks, just got my new (to me) '06 ZX10 tuned at Stock, Mild to Wild in Jax, FL last night, Kevin Cadby working the DJ250 to 171hp on motor (secondary throttle plates removed, cut OEM air filter, Area P half-system) and 215hp on a single 32 nitrous jet. The Dynojet PCIII and multi-function hub was very convenient, controlling nitrous onset and my shift light, and allowing on-the-fly switching between NA and N2O maps.

Unfortunately, I have no where to go test. Right now it's geared stock, 17/40, and I have an 18T for the front and 39 for the rear. Considering it will be unfaired, I plan to start with stock gearing and see how it goes. Any suggestions are welcome of course. I have a taller 190/60 tire on the way also, not sure how much that will be worth.

I've been drag racing another bike for the last 4-5 years, and am excited to try LSR with a new bike. Looking forward to meeting and racing with some of you folks at Maxton in May.

Dean

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 12:30:50 PM by sabat »

landracing

Re: Finally ready to go streaking
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 07:36:57 PM »
Looks great. Wish you well for the next meet.

Got a dyno sheet and rpm's from the dyno runs.

Jon

Offline t russell

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 08:29:57 PM »
Looks good come on down have a blast.Just remember this ain't drag racing after 1/4 mile a mile is forever.
terry 

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »
as for the gearing 1 up on the front and 1 down on the rear might be all she'll pull.
kent

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 10:30:53 PM »
Great looking bike, it would look good with a white background.  Are we going to see it on the salt??

c ya,

Sum

Offline sabat

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 12:49:58 AM »
I just did some calculating, and with the 60 series tire, I'll be lucky to pull stock gearing - 17/40. I have a 42, and will get a 41.

I'd love to truck it out to Bonneville someday, but want to take it one step at a time. I'm in Florida, so it's quite a ways over there.

Here's the chart Jon, I've talked with your brother Joe many times about his ZX10 and my old turbo ZRX, Team Amo is very impressive, congrats, and great site.

Dean

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 12:30:28 PM by sabat »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 09:57:20 AM »
Looking at the chart looks like max HP/TQ is a little lower in the rpm with the nitrous vs. na.  Are you going to gear taking that into consideration?

Is that common with the nitrous vs. na??

c ya,

Sum

Offline sabat

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 10:23:10 AM »
Sum, according to Kevin, the dyno tuner, it's not uncommon in dry systems, although I'm not sure why. We were using a full 10lb bottle, at controlled pressure, so I don't think nitrous pressure dropoff was involved.

I checked the charts on my old wet nitrous bike, and the torque curves were parallel til redline, so it might have something to do with DFI sensors, like airbox temp, adding fuel, and the O2 sensor shows a trend towards going rich approaching redline. I'll continue to investigate, but yeah I've noticed and am thinking about it.

I have a WEGO wideband logger that will show whats happening at speed, may be way diff than on the dyno.

Dean

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 10:33:24 PM »
Sabat, My na gas Busa makes about the same power, 220 rwhp, and I run 18/40 gearing at Maxton with a stock rpm ECU. My bike has been 204.290 at Maxton with that gearing. I went 203.512 at Bonneville with 18/38 gearing and 202 with the 18/40 (I really needed an 18/39 but didn't have a 39 tooth sprocket) When I ran 18/38 gearing at Maxton I didn't get the bike out of 5th gear and I ran about 185 mph. Too much gear for the HP I had . My suggestion is to go with the 18/40 gearing on N2O. This will get you over 200 if you have HP. Go with the stock gearing if you run NA. BTW I live in Middleburg, so if you have any questions about Bonneville or Maxton my email is rickr1955@bellsouth.net See you at Maxton in May. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 11:03:03 PM by Rick Roberts »
ECTA 200 Club

Offline sabat

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:35:52 AM »
Thanks Rick, this helps a lot, and I appreciate the email. I use a gearing calculator (written by YAG in Excel) that works great. Turns out that after accounting for the difference in rev limit, the Busa and the ZX10 are pretty close in final gearing. I will try stock gearing for motor and 18/40 for spray and see how it goes. Without a fairing, I'll be happy to go 180 in May, but who knows, maybe I can crawl under the paint and go faster.

Dean

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 01:37:11 AM »
D. Sabatini?

J

Offline sabat

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 07:51:34 AM »
Yep, howya doing John. Trying something new, this bike is great. I'll be needing a set of stock bore pistons before too long.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:31:31 PM by sabat »

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 09:50:25 AM »
..............I use a gearing calculator (written by YAG in Excel) that works great..................Dean

I have a couple I did for bikes and cars on my site and would appreciate any feedback on them if someone cares to use them.

They are here:

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bville-spreadsheet-index.html

I can see why John couldn't spell your last name  :|  :-D .

c ya,

Sum

Offline sabat

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2007, 05:04:51 PM »
Just got a chance to try out your calculators, very nice work Sumner, these help me a lot. Pretty much the same as the other I was using, only with the ability to size the tire more accurately, and the display of multiple final gearing options simultaneously.

Thanks,
Dean

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 09:30:16 PM »
Just got a chance to try out your calculators, very nice work Sumner, these help me a lot. Pretty much the same as the other I was using, only with the ability to size the tire more accurately, and the display of multiple final gearing options simultaneously.

Thanks,
Dean

Thanks for the feedback.  I was wondering if anyone had actually tried to use them.

Most of the ones I've seen don't let you see the rpm drop after the shift and don't let you see the mph and rpm for all different speeds at one time.   

I think I'll also add a place to plug in an intermediate jack-shaft ratio for those using one.  I'm going to add one to my lakester.

c ya,

Sum