Author Topic: My LS bike build  (Read 85910 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: My LS bike build
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 02:57:45 PM »
Heh,

was this a rpm on the limiter with a shift back from the third into the first gear...or only a attempt to find the fastest way to recycle a piston.......

Didn't saw a so great blow up for a long time.

Have a great time to build your speed dream.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
Heh,

was this a rpm on the limiter with a shift back from the third into the first gear...or only a attempt to find the fastest way to recycle a piston.......

Didn't saw a so great blow up for a long time.

Have a great time to build your speed dream.

You will have to ask the guy I bought the bike from????

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »
Carrillo rods came in today! Man, these rods are really nice, you can really see the quality.

The old vs the new

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 12:41:41 AM »
My frame came in last week and I had to go out of town for the week. I took the day off today and Friday for a four day weekend and in hope that I could get some work done on the bike.

I started to pound in the neck cups with a 4x4 and a hammer and realized that it was much more work than I felt like doing so I pressed them in with my 20 ton press I bought a few months ago...........man am I glad I bought that press.

Put the rear wheel on after some clearancing to the axle blocks to fit my stock Buell axle. The brake rotor is going to have to ride real close to the frame if I can make this wheel work.

Axle is going to need to be cut rewelded and pinned.........also I need to buy a sprocket and see if the chain will clear the frame........it is going to be real close.

Rear wheel on temporarily.......

A rolling chassis

I thru my spare motor in just to see how it would look.....
[

landracing

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 01:04:46 AM »
Looking real good, keep the pictures coming.

You should have upgraded to the next model bike stand... It has a better wheel clamp in front, plus the air lift also.... Havent used the air lift part yet, but I have not had to tie the bike down on the sides at all with the better wheel clamp.

Jon

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 06:33:55 AM »
Looking real good, keep the pictures coming.

You should have upgraded to the next model bike stand... It has a better wheel clamp in front, plus the air lift also.... Havent used the air lift part yet, but I have not had to tie the bike down on the sides at all with the better wheel clamp.

Jon

I agree that wheel clamp sucks! I bought that lift for one Ben Franklin so the price was right.

Scott

Offline panchop

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 09:15:42 PM »
you probably have already figured for this but i have in the past twisted and broken similar frames from paugco with stroker street motors making less then 80-90 HP. just thought I'd throw that out there. neat project. Hope to run into you at BUBs.
Greg

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 09:49:23 PM »
you probably have already figured for this but i have in the past twisted and broken similar frames from paugco with stroker street motors making less then 80-90 HP. just thought I'd throw that out there. neat project. Hope to run into you at BUBs.
Greg

Man, this build gets funner and funner by the day! So please elaborate or post some pics if you have any.......I am all ears. Thanks bringing this to my attention.

Scott

Offline panchop

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 10:34:03 PM »
I am afraid those incidents where before digital cameras or at least before i was aware of them. I had a 93 inch panhead that broke the top frame rail in two right under the gas tank after about a year. I found it when all of a sudden the bike wouldn't go straight as i was pushing it in the shop. I never figured exactly why. PAUGCO just gave me a new frame. I always had to reinforce the rear section because it would twist under acceleration with any thing that made serious ( OK shovelhead / panhead serious )  torque. Also I found the rear axle needed a way to lock it in position or it would pull the sprocket side forward cocking the wheel. I would add softtail type axle adjusters. These are just things i had happen but it was with big street motors on pavement caused by vibration and hard acceleration. Not saying the same conditions apply on a salt project. like i said just throwing it out there.
have fun
greg

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »
I am afraid those incidents where before digital cameras or at least before i was aware of them. I had a 93 inch panhead that broke the top frame rail in two right under the gas tank after about a year. I found it when all of a sudden the bike wouldn't go straight as i was pushing it in the shop. I never figured exactly why. PAUGCO just gave me a new frame. I always had to reinforce the rear section because it would twist under acceleration with any thing that made serious ( OK shovelhead / panhead serious )  torque. Also I found the rear axle needed a way to lock it in position or it would pull the sprocket side forward cocking the wheel. I would add softtail type axle adjusters. These are just things i had happen but it was with big street motors on pavement caused by vibration and hard acceleration. Not saying the same conditions apply on a salt project. like i said just throwing it out there.
have fun
greg

I appreciate the input Greg!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »
Update:

I bought a set of clip-ons from Kent Riches that I think will work out pretty well. All of the parts for the motor arrived last week and almost all of the machine work on the case is done with the exception of the upgrade to the anti-rotation pins for the lifters that I will do next week some time.

The motor is going to Bob Moreland in a few weeks to have the line-boring and balancing done.

[/IMG]  I had doneStage 3 headwork which includes NRHS Hurricane valvetrain components: bronze manganese guides, high flow stainless valves, chrome silicone springs, and special radius titanium retainers. The valve sizes on my is a 1.940" intake and 1.615" exhaust valves. A 30 degree squish badn was cut along with dual plugging of the heads and .700 lift springs.

S&S Roller Rockers

Here are the pistons from that we ahd made from CP.

Jims Hydrosolid lifters

Jims 3 hole crank pin

S&S Super D and the 4' airhorn

New clutch and pressure plates

S&S intake

Hi-flow oil pump

Axtell cylinders

Adjustable push rods, new high strength, crank pins, push rod tubes and misc bearings.

Here are the new Redshifts Cams

The camchest was clearanced to fit the bigs cams

Cases have been bored to fit the oversized cylinders

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2007, 10:48:51 PM »
I had a few things happen in my favor this week and it looks like I will be attending the World of Speed event in Bonneville in August so it looks like I need to kick this build into high gear.

I spent most of today at MDR turning down my rear wheel hub so I would have enough clearance inbetween the frame and the sprocket/chain. Intiallt the chain hit the frame, with Randy of MDR mentoring I turned the sprocket side down .300 and the disc side .200 and as you see in the pictures it looks like everything is going to be perfect.

We used a dial indicator to make sure the wheel was centered on the radius cutter attachment of the mill.

Once centered the cutting can begin........this is the sprocket side after .300 later.

A picture of the wheel mounted on the radius cutter on the mill.

Here is the axle cut to length. The top axle is a stock Buell axle and the second one is the shortened one and the amount that was cut off below the second axle. Randy N. bored out the center of the nut and turned down part of the axle and slid the two together and tig welded the two together.

Here is my new clearance on the sprocket side.

Here is my clearance on the disc side.

I sent my cases to NRHS and they are balancing everything as well as assembling the bottom end.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 12:54:37 AM »
very cool build, such detailed information.  Love the pictures and good luck at Bonneville.  Are trying to make speed week if so stop by and say high. 

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 09:00:28 PM »
I have been working on the rear brake bracket................here is a picture of the stock one which is way to wide to use in my chassis.

And the begining of the new one

Chucked up and ready for drilling

Holes drilled and one screw hole tapped

Welded this threaded coupler to the bracket after I tightened it down and the screw passed throught the bracket and the coupler to insure the threads were in time with each other. ( I think that's what you call it)

Here is the completed bracket

The other side

With the caliper mounted.......I may not use this bracket as I ran into a problem with the clearances for the rotor because this is a floating caliper. I need to spend a little more time on it to correct the problem, however  icould easily make another bracket in a short amount of time and use a two piston caliper and that would solve my problem. I am going to look at other options later for the rear brake. I really need a break from working on the brake!

Oil tank is installed along with the battery box.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »
I sure don't like to be a naysayer, but I can unequivocally guarantee that there's absolutely no way you'll be going to World of Speed in August.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com