Author Topic: My LS bike build  (Read 85918 times)

Offline isiahstites

My LS bike build
« on: April 20, 2007, 10:40:52 PM »
Hello all my name is Scott and I thought I would document my build here as I have been foloowing the site for awhile now. Seems to be good people here, thanks for all of the knowledge here it has been very helpful.
I picked up the donor bike a few weeks ago for a $1000, it is a 98' Buell S3. It has a blown motor, thus the reason it was so cheap and it has some real bad bubbling on the tank. The motor is going to get rebuilt from top to bottom so I did't mind the it being blown. The gas tank and most of the parts will be sold off so this was not a concern of mine either, however the front end, and wheels will be used in the build.

This worked out perfect in my mind as I got a complete bike for 1k instead of paying 4k for a running one when I was going to gut the motor anyways.

More pics and info to follow as I get into the motor and see how bad it really is.........

Scott

Offline isiahstites

Re: My LS bike build
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:42:03 PM »
A few more pics

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 10:45:41 PM »
Here are the rest of the pics of the parts that I got when I bought the bike.

Here is nice and straight push rod.

Here is what is left of the piston.

A pic of the head after sandblasting and a few extra pics.

Here is how I got the motor out of the existing frame.

Notice the size of the piston on the left and what is left of the one on the right..........

I pretty much finished up with the disassembly of the Buell this evening with the exception of the swingarm. I will remove the swingarm this weekend as well as the cams from the motor I scored last weekend. The cams and the heads are off to NRHS first thing Monday for the headwork and I believe the cams are going to Redshift as a core in exchange for the new cams.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:48:30 PM by isiahstites »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »
Met with Randy at MDR this afternoon and discussed my chassis design. We should start building the chassis very soon. The bike will be equipped with plastics from Airtech. All motor components are coming from NHRS performance. The motor will be 82 c.i. (1350) and will get new cylinders, pistons, cams, and a complete work over of the heads.

Scott

Offline Reverend Hedgash

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 08:05:05 AM »
Good luck with the build.

You already have offerings to the God of speed and you have only just started!

Rev H+

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:44:49 AM »
Good luck with the build.

You already have offerings to the God of speed and you have only just started!

Rev H+

Thanks Rev H!

landracing

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 03:38:51 PM »
Welcome to the website.

Aaron at NHRS sure has done his homework and real world testing of his components, at Bonneville, that he sells. Im sure you will be very happy. He is also a sponsor of the site.

Kent at AirTech has been a blessing to work with also. I have gotten nothing but great service from them.

I'm curious will you convert that from belt drive to chain drive??

Jon

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 05:27:16 PM »
Welcome to the website.

Aaron at NHRS sure has done his homework and real world testing of his components, at Bonneville, that he sells. Im sure you will be very happy. He is also a sponsor of the site.

Kent at AirTech has been a blessing to work with also. I have gotten nothing but great service from them.

I'm curious will you convert that from belt drive to chain drive??

Jon

Thanks for the welcome Jon, you run one hell of site! Thank you.

I will convert to chain drive, it will make for simple gearing changes.

Can you help me figure out why I am not getting instant notifications.

thanks,
Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 06:37:27 PM »
Today I pulled the cams out of both motors, I wanted to see the difference in the lobes from the stock Sportster vs the Buell and the stock sportster cams are off to NRHS to be sent to Redshift for there make over into the 643's. My heads are going to NRHS for a make over as well.

I also finished completely with the disassembly of the donor bike. If I have time tomorrow I will try and tear down the motor completely and split the cases so I can access what other damage may of happen and also to have a motor to use during the fabrication of the frame.

If anyone is in need of parts let me know as I will sell them on the forums I visit first and then move on to ebay and craigslist. Just about everything will be for sell with the exception of the the wheels, frontend, and motor. I may sell the frame later after I am done building. If you need a part just ask I may have it........

Scott

The cam on the left is the stock sportster and on the right the Buell.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:03:18 PM »
I spent some time after work last night on the motor. I was able to get the cases split and see if there was any damage to the cases. At this point I believe the cases are fine and that the rods are definatley screwed and I am not sure about the crank. I will press the crank out of the case this weekend to check and see what kind of shape it is in.

No worries on the crank or the rods as I am buying a set of Carrillo rods and I have another crank in another motor I can use.

Heads are currently at NRHS and should be back in about three weeks, pistons and cylinders are on order and the cams are being sent to Redshift via NHRS.

Scott

Tranny internals look good

I think it is save to say that the piston is slightly chewed up!

Offline seatacartist

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 01:02:32 AM »
Scott,
Great job on posting the build photos and info. It's interesting to see what the bike guys go through.  Having worked on a gas altered and lakester for Bonneville, it is nice to see what it takes to put a bike together for Bonneville.  Pretty amazing those cases are still together from the looks of the piston.

Pat

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 01:06:37 AM »
Scott,
Great job on posting the build photos and info. It's interesting to see what the bike guys go through.  Having worked on a gas altered and lakester for Bonneville, it is nice to see what it takes to put a bike together for Bonneville.  Pretty amazing those cases are still together from the looks of the piston.

Pat

Pat,

Thanks for the praise it is appreciated! I was thinking the same thing about the cases........I was quite shocked that it does not appear that there is even a mark in the cases. I will know for sure this weekend when I press the crank out and can get a better look at the other case.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 12:03:58 AM »
Got the crank pressed out tonight and the failure is pretty obvious from the pictures...........

When did they start make rods with ovals??

I think the crank pin got a little warm......

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 10:47:36 PM »
My Dyna (2ki) ignition came in yesterday and I am still waiting on a bunch of parts for the motor to arrive. Most parts are being custom made so I am still weeks out on alot of the parts. Ordered my rods today from Carrillo to the tune of $712 shipped to my door. They will be here tomorrow at which point I can order my crank pin and bearings.

I also decided that this year I am going to hold off on building a ground up chassis. Instead I have ordered a frame from Paughco after some good advice from a well known local land speed racer. The frame will be modded as necessary. Going this route will allow me to race this year in July at El Mirage prior to going to the Bub meet in September.

Also have been selling lots of parts off of the donor parts. if you need a part please ask I may want to sell.

Scott

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 11:53:52 PM »
Wow, some of you parts look like they have already been landspeed racing.  :|  Such is life... Good luck and welcome to our charm school. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O