Author Topic: My LS bike build  (Read 86069 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: My LS bike build
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2007, 07:55:53 PM »
Scott, It looks like it's coming together. There are three things all racers have to face, a shortage of time, lack of money and eventually the competition. Keep the faith and keep going.  :wink:
 Thanks for the El Mirage pictures, I had to keep going on my project so I missed Sunday :-D. You may have noticed a bunch of empty space in Randys shop on Fri? I took the Kiwi to El Mirage on Sat for a Tech look-see. It went pretty well, except for the HEAT!
 Got to get back in the garage :roll:

Hey Craig! Ya there was tons of room in the shop.......I hope all goes well with your build. Are you going to speedweek or Bub??

Scott

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2007, 12:35:29 AM »
Hey Scott, No way i could make Speed Week, I'm shooting for BUB this year, a few more mods required for SCTA/BNI but I'll get there. Streamliners are different. John N. is going hard these days, sidecars have some way to go yet, but it will be hard to top his current efforts!  Good on him!! Craig

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2007, 12:37:59 AM »
start posting some pix of your liner craig...
kent

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2007, 11:19:10 PM »
Finished up the brake and stop this evening..........I think I need a new rotor this one isn't exactly straight. I didn't realize it until I spun the wheel.

I also got all of my exhaust components today, a 5' section of tube, 4 4" radius bends, 4 3" radius bends, two into one collector and cone. I'm not sure when I will do the exhaust and I think the 3" bends are a bit on the small side, but I won't know until I start building.

Scott

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2007, 12:38:39 AM »
Man that's a lot of pipe!  Did you get a discount on all of those bends? 
    It's amazing how things just come together.  I just looked at your whole build and it looks sweet and the progression is unbelieveable, good luck.  Troy

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2007, 12:42:42 AM »
Man that's a lot of pipe!  Did you get a discount on all of those bends? 
    It's amazing how things just come together.  I just looked at your whole build and it looks sweet and the progression is unbelieveable, good luck.  Troy

Troy,

I bought some extra so I could play around with the exhaust in the future and I am sure I will make some mistakes. $10 bucks a bend and thanks for the compliment!

Scott

Offline panchop

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2007, 01:36:46 AM »
I've got to tell you man. You are making me feel so damn lazy. I am really in awe of the speed and quality of what you are doing.
Good luck.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2007, 07:54:51 PM »
Well I have managed to shed off what was almost a burn out on my part from putting to much time into the bike. I have paced myself and feel like I get more done by just stopping when need be and come back at it fresh another time.

I had to cut off the axle block adjuster and step it out to match the width off the brake bracket.

Here is the offset ready to welded in place.

Finished

Got all of the final wheel spacers cut and installed as well as the axle adjustment spacers.

Drilled a hole in the gusset for the steering stops

Here is the solid rod that will be used for the stops.

Getting rid of the sharp edges.

In place and ready for welding.

Finished

Now onto the tank mounts, here is what is on the tank.

Here are the brackets that will hold the rubber grommets in place.

Starting on the rear mount.

Finished rear mount.

Side view of tank mounted in it's final resting place.

I will get back to work tomorrow and hopefully start on the tail section which may be modeled after a sportbike tail............I will just have to wait and see until I get out there as I have ideas I am just not sure if and how they will work.

Scott

« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 07:57:21 PM by isiahstites »

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2007, 09:55:08 PM »
Started to build the tail section today............I spent the better part of the morning into lunch time just starring at the bike and holding up different pieces of tubing at different angles until I found something that was functional yet not completely ugly. Finally this afternoon I figured it out and went to building.

Notching the tubes with my cheap Harbor Freight tubing notcher.

Here is the first support with a 0 degree notch on one end and a 45 degree on the other.

Check to see if it fits.

The hard part is making two identical pieces.

Ready to be tacked.

Tacked and adding a cross support.

I will finish the welding when I tear everything down. I am pretty pleased with how the tail came out with the exception of how long it took.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2007, 12:51:08 AM »
I have just about finished up the tail section with the exception of permanently attaching the seat pan and the number plates. I have had a few days to look at the tail section and I think it is starting to grown on me..........

Here is the stock petcock that came on the tank

I enlarged the hole for the new bung to be welded in place to fit the new petcock

New bung in place ready to be welded along with the two screw holes for the old petcock.

Here is a similar Guzzler Valve from Pingel that I borrowed from Kent until my comes in next week.

I started to try and make the Thunderheader fit and after some thinking I decided I was gonna go ahead and attempt my first set of pipes due to the fact that I spent so much money on the heads. I measured the I.D. of the TH and it was 1.594 and my piping is 1.76 so the bike should breathe a lot better the exhaust I build.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 01:14:41 AM by isiahstites »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2007, 12:55:02 AM »
Keep pluggin away at it.  I spoke to big time engine builder here in Fresno and he said to me " I've been drag racing since 1948 and I've never been early on getting my engines or cars done".  So keep on going and you'll be done in no time.  Good luck.

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2007, 01:15:51 AM »
Keep pluggin away at it.  I spoke to big time engine builder here in Fresno and he said to me " I've been drag racing since 1948 and I've never been early on getting my engines or cars done".  So keep on going and you'll be done in no time.  Good luck.

Thanks Bvill.......I haven't stopped yet! I got the front pipe done this evening and will finish up the collector and the cone tomorrow.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2007, 07:33:32 PM »
Finished the exhaust today..........

Offline panchop

« Reply #88 on: July 29, 2007, 11:38:24 AM »
I'm curious. How much ground clearance are you building into it?

landracing

« Reply #89 on: July 29, 2007, 12:18:47 PM »
I'm curious. How much ground clearance are you building into it?

I would guess he has about 2", +- .5"

Jon