Author Topic: My LS bike build  (Read 86089 times)

Offline Dakin Engineering

Re: My LS bike build
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2007, 09:18:03 PM »
When you achive "rust proof", please post.  :evil:

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »
The best way to keep your bike rustproof is to sell it when you get home. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2007, 11:15:38 PM »
The best way to keep your bike rustproof is to sell it when you get home. :wink:

You interested in buying it Jack?

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2007, 01:59:16 AM »
Don't sell it yet Scott.  Besides he probably won't give you what it's worth...
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2007, 02:02:36 AM »
Don't sell it yet Scott.  Besides he probably won't give you what it's worth...

It is not for sell until I set a few records with it...........

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2007, 02:44:50 AM »
That's what we like to hear. Just depends on who gets to run first... Now we're talkin shit... Ya just gotta let it flow, exhaust wise.

Can we say that Slim?

Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2007, 09:24:59 AM »
You just did, but I think that you should have hyphenated "exhaust wise".
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2007, 10:04:26 AM »
I sold my double Kawi tire tester to Japan for 30k after a bidding war.
HD sells well over there and with a racing history, even better than that. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2007, 10:25:06 AM »
I sold my double Kawi tire tester to Japan for 30k after a bidding war.
HD sells well over there and with a racing history, even better than that. :wink:

Funny you say that because the last bike I built was a custom chopper and a motorcycle shop from Japan bought it.............

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2007, 05:47:49 PM »
Stopped by Mr Riches shop Thursday and picked up my front fender. I found the gas take in a motorcycle salvage yard. The tank is off of a 1975 Yamaha DT 100 and with a little work it should fit perfect. I am going to cut off the rear mount and re-attach it to fit the backbone of the bike as well as change out the petcock for a Pingel Race petcock.

Picked up this Thunderheader this morning for a $100, I have been watching these on ebay and they have been going for over $350 used. I ordered a collector, megaphone, a bunch of u-bends and tubing yesterday to build an exhaust, but the Thunderheader will get me running incase I run out of time.

I finished the brake bracket with the exception of the brake stop which will hold the bracket in a fixed location. The stop will be welded to the bottom of the frame rail and connect to the bracket and will be adjustable to match the axle blocks.

Lots of parts have been coming in there just isn't enough time in the day!! There are two things I am running short on.............TIME AND MONEY!!! I have 24 days left until we leave for Bonneville so the pressure is on and it is going to be tight on time to finish the bike. If I don't finish it by August 7th my first race will be Sept 16th at El Mirage.

Scott
« Last Edit: July 14, 2007, 05:50:34 PM by isiahstites »

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2007, 06:24:04 PM »
Lookin sweet, I dig the tank.

landracing

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2007, 02:53:54 AM »
Looking great, I really like the build diary section, great work and its fun for me to see the progress you are making, makes me think I should be doing something to mine instead of typing... But just cant stay away to see if you posted anything new..

Please feel free to email, stuff you need, got lots of stuff laying around... even post it here and if somebody has something laying around they are not using im sure they will send it... Every little bit helps... Just when I thought I was getting close last year and about home free, an order to summit for a couple hundred bucks in AN fittings... Post a list and lets see if we can help.. Going to look for that pingle valve you need that I know I have, just dont know where.

Jon

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2007, 10:52:42 PM »
Looking great, I really like the build diary section, great work and its fun for me to see the progress you are making, makes me think I should be doing something to mine instead of typing... But just cant stay away to see if you posted anything new..

Please feel free to email, stuff you need, got lots of stuff laying around... even post it here and if somebody has something laying around they are not using im sure they will send it... Every little bit helps... Just when I thought I was getting close last year and about home free, an order to summit for a couple hundred bucks in AN fittings... Post a list and lets see if we can help.. Going to look for that pingle valve you need that I know I have, just dont know where.

Jon

Jon,

I appreciate the offer to help! If you have the Pingel let me know what you want for it and we can work something out........as far as other parts I have just about everything I need with the exception of small things like fuel, oil lines, and spark plugs most of the things I can get here locally pretty easy.

Thanks again,
Scott

landracing

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2007, 01:31:55 AM »
I looked and looked today and couldn't find that pingle... Sorry but I did look for ya :)

Jon

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2007, 10:13:48 AM »
Scott, It looks like it's coming together. There are three things all racers have to face, a shortage of time, lack of money and eventually the competition. Keep the faith and keep going.  :wink:
 Thanks for the El Mirage pictures, I had to keep going on my project so I missed Sunday :-D. You may have noticed a bunch of empty space in Randys shop on Fri? I took the Kiwi to El Mirage on Sat for a Tech look-see. It went pretty well, except for the HEAT!
 Got to get back in the garage :roll: