Author Topic: My LS bike build  (Read 85913 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: My LS bike build
« Reply #150 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:23 AM »
well nick i was talkin pocket size.... as in way to big... now that you mentioned it... over .100 is way to much depth.... even for an exhaust.... and in an area of about 1/3 of the combustion chamber size... giving up way to much compression.... sheesh your acting as if you made these pistons.... did ya? oops i'm sorry i'm being meen again.... i didnt mean that, heck even your web site says you don't make pistons you just farm them out. You just design them. I'm curious and since you proclaim to be a piston expert.... what should the pocket size and depth be for a 8000rpm push rod motor with what was suppose to be race pistons, race cams, and race springs? lets give the newbie some assembly advise......
kent

Offline hitz

« Reply #151 on: September 04, 2007, 01:38:03 AM »

Scott,

That's a nice looking project you are doing! The exhaust system is really a sanitary looking system. It sounds like there is some questions on the valve clearances. I didn't see anything about checking the valve events with a degree wheel and seeing if it agrees with the cam grinders specifications. If you haven't, I'm sure Kent can give you some advice on doing that.

Good luck at El Mirage. I enjoy your posts.

Harvey

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #152 on: September 04, 2007, 12:25:38 PM »

Nope.  The exhaust valve relief requires more clearance than the intake.  Scott, didn't you say these were borrowed pistons?

Nick 3rd.
Yes, but they were what I was supposed to get from the start. The guys I bought them from made it right with me with some other parts I needed and ordered me a another set with the right compression height because I had originally ordered two sets.

You now have me wondering about why the exhaust barley touched, I know it requires more clearance than the intake valve, but my intake and exhaust cams both have the same lift. Is the exhaust valve seating deeper in the head than the intake??

Scott

Scott-
I was curious if these pistons were off-the-shelf generics or were they custom built for your specific application (valve diameters, cam timing events, etc.).

Yes, on most two-valve opposed cylinder heads, the exhaust (EXH) seat is located higher in the chamber than the intake (INT).  Regardless, sometimes the piston designer dictates the INT and EXH reliefs be symmetrical so you can interchange pistons if needed.  If you're seeking very high compression then individual diameter and depth INT & EXH reliefs are required.  Looks like you have symmetrical relief pistons, which are fine as long as your compression requirement is met.

The piston designer's job is to collect as much information about your setup and provide a suitable set of slugs, considering all of the eccentricities of an internal combustion engine.

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #153 on: September 04, 2007, 07:40:32 PM »
Since I am new at this and still learning I left the complete design of the motor up to NRHS and I am happy with them and their customer service. There have been a few mix ups, however there has been max effort on their part to make things right. In the future with all that I have learned and all that I plan on learning I will be able to do a custom race piston. For now I will be cautious and continue to take small steps and ask lots of questions.

Scott

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2007, 09:47:20 PM »
Hi Scott-
Sounds like you have a great partner in NRHS, I'm sure they'll stand by their product.

It's usually best to rectify parts issues with the supplier of these specific parts as opposed to risking confusion or misdirection by soliciting input from "experts" in other fields.

Nick 3rd.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #155 on: September 04, 2007, 11:57:45 PM »
Hi Scott-
Sounds like you have a great partner in NRHS, I'm sure they'll stand by their product.

It's usually best to rectify parts issues with the supplier of these specific parts as opposed to risking confusion or misdirection by soliciting input from "experts" in other fields.

Nick 3rd.

I always give someone a chance to make things right instead of publicly blasting them online like you see far to often on internet forums. Even thought there was a mix up on the compression height of my pistons and it was not NRHS fault they stepped up and pulled a set of pistons out of one of their bikes using the same set-up. That is great customer service in my book.

Scott

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #156 on: September 05, 2007, 03:57:45 PM »
Hey Scott, I just wanted to say you are doing great and I wish I knew all you now know when I was your age.

I hope to make the Nov. EM meet and see you run,

Sum

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #157 on: September 05, 2007, 04:12:11 PM »
i think he is gettin schooled pretty quick...
kent

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2007, 01:27:35 AM »
I preformed the leak down test today and it was 0-2% on both cylinders? Is this normal on a fresh motor? I was expecting there to be a lot of air past the rings since they are new and have not been run. I was expecting after I have run the motor a little for it to tighten up once the rings set.

I had to raise the back of the tank a little bit to give me some clearance to keep the petcock from sitting on the rocker box.

Here is the clearance after raising the back of the tank.

I got the intake, carb, fuel line and velocity stack installed. I am not sure how much I like that stack sticking way and the hell out there, but it is gonna have to do for the time being. This was a pain in the ass job as I had a hard time with the intake and the new seals.

I got all of the sprocket, trans and clutch bolts torqued down to specs. I finished installing the primary cover, adjusting the chain tension, adjusting the clutch and installing and adjusting the foot shifter.

I installed the new higher flow oil pump and installed all of the fittings. Also figured out the whole oil system so I can run the lines tomorrow after blasting the oil tank and painting.

Tested the starter then painted it to match the motor and then installed it.........

I was also able to run the clutch cable to the perch and set it up as well as hook up the throttle cables.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 01:33:01 AM by isiahstites »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2007, 02:50:58 AM »
Would you rather have an S+S tear drop instead of a stack ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2007, 07:57:59 AM »
Would you rather have an S+S tear drop instead of a stack ?

Jack at this point I am not sure what I want..............just concerned with tuning the bike om the dyno and then getting out into the real world.

What are your thoughts on the velocity stack over a conventional air cleaner?

Scott

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2007, 08:21:36 AM »
The stack on the dyno will give a good result in static air and is just another tuning variable along with all the other parts on the way to the end of the exhaust pipe.
Moving air past the end is quite another story and that is where the tear drop can capture the air and direct it into the carb bore.
 It is not an air cleaner at all , but a flow correction device that has a lot of thought put into the design.
I have 1 available for rent at $1,00 a year, but it has to be all cash on delivery.
Call S+S Monday and ask them to explain what would work best in your application. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2007, 11:34:17 AM »
I have 1 available for rent at $1,00 a year, but it has to be all cash on delivery.

Is that one dollar a year or one hundred dollars a year?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2007, 11:52:23 AM »
It is $1.00 a year.
Nuthin is free.
WMBCSBWE :wink:

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2007, 11:55:37 AM »
It is $1.00 a year.
Nuthin is free.
WMBCSBWE :wink:

Thanks Jack, now direct me where I can find out what WMBCSBWE means.........I know it is on my SDRC shirt as well.

Scott