Author Topic: My LS bike build  (Read 86133 times)

Offline isiahstites

Re: My LS bike build
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2007, 12:16:13 AM »
Despite the problem I ran into last night with the piston I kept chipping away at it today. I put the new motor in and set the barrels and heads on so I could check clearance for the petcock to the motor mount and so I could finish the exhaust flanges. I did find the petcock is going to hit the front rocker box so a simple spacer in between the back bone and the tank will solve that problem.

Front fender installed

I got the brake mount and stop painted and installed. I had to re-space the brake caliper as I took approx another .020 off of the brake side hub of the wheel and turned down the rotor to make everything straight and true. Also pre-drilled all of the holes for the number plates and will pick-up some 1/4 20 button heads screws tomorrow.

Got lots of parts painted and ready to be installed.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:28:55 AM by isiahstites »

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2007, 12:29:26 AM »
If anybody asks, it is a Yamama with a HD motor. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2007, 12:30:01 AM »
I got a great lesson from Randy at MDR on how to mill the pistons, he finished them Monday evening but I just didn't have the time to install them between work and my busy schedule. So this will be my last post on the bike until we get back from Bonneville. I will finish the bike when I return and hopefully will have it ready for the El Mirage race on September 16th.

Scott

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #108 on: August 08, 2007, 10:47:20 AM »
Scott, keep checking or calling for Hotel rooms.  We stopped calling because we are not going this month, but rooms are starting to clear.  Check wendoverfun.com or call on the way you should get one by arrival.  Good luck, maybe we will see you at El Mirage in Oct or Nov.  Troy

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #109 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:26 AM »
Scott, keep checking or calling for Hotel rooms.  We stopped calling because we are not going this month, but rooms are starting to clear.  Check wendoverfun.com or call on the way you should get one by arrival.  Good luck, maybe we will see you at El Mirage in Oct or Nov.  Troy

I will definitely be In El Mirage for the last three races of the year.

Scott

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2007, 02:48:34 AM »
My friend Randy(rchop) and I made it back from Speedweek, both with records as rookies. It would be great if that could happen every year. We had a great time at Bonneville and I know I will always remember my first trip with a great deal of significance.

Here is Randy getting ready to run.......he chased the record all week and finally got it on the second to last day. I think we both agree that this picture is probably one of the best that either of us took during the meet. It really captures "Bonneville". Randy set the record for the APS-PG 750cc class to 120 mph and some change with his home built BMW.

Here I am getting ready to ride my way into the history books on Kents very healthy 750 Suzuki sidecar.

Receiving my instructions from the starter.

Heading down the course.......

I had a few firsts while at Bonneville, first time to ride that bike, first time ever riding anything with a sidecar and first time down the salt. All were great experiences and I am grateful that Kent was nice enough to let me ride one of his bikes.

I made three passes while at Bonneville all were on the sidecar. My first pass was a rookie run in which I did 137 mph. The record at the time was 135 and some change, I was kind of shocked I went faster than the record on my rookie run. This first pass was quite an experience as I had all of those firsts going on at the same time, almost overwhelming but what a rush, it left me only wanting more and to make another pass.

My second pass consisted of me doing 146 mph and qualifying for the record, had I not short shifted the last gear I may have been able to pull a 150 mph pass. Things were much easier to concentrate on this time like actually riding the bike and watching the tach.

My third run was a back up run for the record. I didn't quite hit the shift points exactly where I was suppose to, but I did have a top speed a 150 mph and backed up the run and got a record. This pass was much clearer than the previous two and I feel that if I had the opportunity to make a few more passes on the bike I could defiantly get into the mid 150's, but for now the record for SC-G 750 cc is 147 and some more change.

So all in all we had a great trip and met a lot of great people that I look forward to speaking with again next year. Thanks to all that helped it is really appreciated!

Got back to building the bike today with intentions of wrapping up the motor this weekend. I started off by finishing the end gap on the rings and weighing the pistons to make sure they were the same after the milling work.

Turns out Randy N is a very precise machinist as both pistons were exactly the same and did not require any more work. Here are both pistons on the scale with wristpins, clips and rings.

Got everything together and was ready to move on but..........

I decided I better check piston to piston clearance before I move forward. Good thing I did as the picture shows the pistons do come in contact with on another. Not much but anything in this case is a lot. So I may just clearance them myself and re-weigh everything, if not I will have them machined.

Stay tuned more to come..............
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:53:13 AM by isiahstites »

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2007, 05:42:15 AM »
Hey Scott. It'll be interesting to hear what Dan has to say. I don't think "You should be all right" will work this time...
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline half-fast

« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2007, 10:00:53 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, who fabricated the front fender? Very nice build!

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, who fabricated the front fender? Very nice build!

The front fender was made by Kent Riches(member 1212fbgs here)company Airtech Streamlining. I did all of the trim work to make it fit my application along with making the brackets that hold it on and support the fender.

Scott

Offline half-fast

« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2007, 12:39:31 PM »
Scott,

Thanks for the info. I haven't decided whether to go with glass or metal.

Lloyd

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2007, 01:47:52 PM »
hey scott
take a good look at the pix of you pulling away from the line on my 750.......... my bike makes you ass look big...lmao... get back to work on your bike... elmo is only a couple of weeks away and we still need to dyno your bike!
kent

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2007, 03:11:27 PM »
I thot it was the leathers that made his ass look big!!! :-o
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »
I thot it was the leathers that made his ass look big!!! :-o

I want to know why you guys are so obsessed with my ass? Is there something I need to know?

Scott

Offline OhioFatboy

« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
It's not the bike or the leathers that make his ass look big, it's his ass that makes his ass look big :-D-mark

Offline isiahstites

« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2007, 03:41:45 PM »
It's not the bike or the leathers that make his ass look big, it's his ass that makes his ass look big :-D-mark

Be careful there Fatboy I have pictures of you that I have not posted...........keep playing and I will post them!