Author Topic: I Guess I should intro myself also.....  (Read 3208 times)

Offline lrs30

• New folks
I Guess I should intro myself also.....
« on: April 18, 2007, 09:31:50 PM »
My Name is Ryan, Im from Northern KY(Cincinnati Area) been building bikes(Harleys) for 12 plus years, Owned my owned my shop for 2 then realized that my dream was to have and keep the Family I already have,lol. My buddy and I are really wanting to build a Lakester, motor is still up in the air, we have several but nothing race breed.., choices are small Ford 302, small Chev 350, 1600 cc VW, 1949 Chev. Vintage216 6cyl, and a  2 stroke 440cc Snow mobile engine..All are fresh and good runners....I think the Idea of LSR is more of the build for us at this moment. I've crewed a Nitro Harley mid 6 bike for a year and raced Screaming Eagle Performance series for a while. I also have a 2001 Softail 1550 Keith Black pistoned, S&S 589 lift gear drive cammed,Kibble white valves ported polished, converted to chaindrive for easy gearing chain. But I am looking for advice on which class would be more competitive, to at least make our 130 club to 150 club.I made the promise that what ever it would be I would have atleast metal around me (so the bike is out(for now). I Also have a nice original 54 Bel-Air with a 235 for the Vintage Sedan class......So veterans of LSR I put it to you what would you do if you were in my shoes......For you old Iron Head freaks check out my bikes on www.myspace.com/ryanbfg       looking for some insight,,,,Thanks to everyone who has been a great help so far........I will be coming down in May(spectator, hand lender, question asker).

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: I Guess I should intro myself also.....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 10:46:34 PM »
Well welcome, and you have way too many choices there for me to figure out at my age  :cry:.  Since you are so close to Maxton I would probably start with a choice that would be fun to run there.

Good luck,

Sum

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 11:11:40 PM »
Welcome, although the 440cc rings a bell from another post. 

It sounds like an interesting engine choice.  If it were me, I would plan to make the car work for several motors, i.e. room for a small block but build it first with one of the smaller motors.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 03:26:45 AM »
To begin at the beginning, make the front end steering, body shape, and cockpit features fit you and the rules to the max.
All of that is regardless of what power plant you run behind you.
Make the engine bay and rear shape able to accommodate all the engine types you hope to run inside the most efficient shell.
By the time you get that far, your engine program will be more studied.
Don't build it so that it is fitted to only 1 engine option and with that you can run forever and we hope you do.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline t russell

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 05:28:15 AM »
Welcome. Like the others said make car that will fit many classes as possible.But first and foremost it has to be fun.The 54 will fit in many but the other work to make it drivable at speed may be tough.Hell run it with the 235 have fun then decide.
terry

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:03:12 PM »
Run the 54 with the 235 and have fun. It will give you a chance to check out other people's hot rods and ask questions. then you can decide which way to go.
ECTA 200 Club

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »
Ryan -
I'm Dan Stokes, and am the new Volunteer Coordinator or the ECTA.  If you want to come and volunteer in May, just let me know and I'll find a spot for you.  Generally, you'll be at a station (start line, shutdown, assistant timer, etc) but will switch off with others so you'll have some time in the pits and chances to BS with the racers.  It's how I got hooked last year, and I'm having a ball.

I should warn you - these folks TALK a tough game, but in reality this is the best bunch of folks on the planet.  They'll help you where they can, and I've never heard of anyone deliberately leading a competitor astray.

BTW - I don't know if you've seen the ECTA website, but DO check it out - it's pretty good.  Under "contacts" you'll find my E-mail, and there's a link to the ECTA YAHOO forum, which is pretty active.

See you in May
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer