Author Topic: May 19-20 Will Trade Labor for experience  (Read 3933 times)

Offline lrs30

• New folks
May 19-20 Will Trade Labor for experience
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:04:11 PM »
My buddy and I are looking to get into Land Speed RAcing, and will be attending the May meet and would love it if someone could use some help in exchange for showing us the ropes.We are both very mechanically skilled, I have crewed on a Nitro Harley Drag team, for a year and raced screaming eagle drag series. He is skilled in Fabrication, We are looking to get into the 4 wheel end of it, but will not turn down any chance to crew with either 2 or 4 wheels.....You can see my work at www.myspace.com/ryanbfg     Thanks In Advance....

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: May 19-20 Will Trade Labor for experience
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 12:21:12 AM »
My buddy and I are looking to get into Land Speed RAcing, and will be attending the May meet and would love it if someone could use some help in exchange for showing us the ropes.We are both very mechanically skilled, I have crewed on a Nitro Harley Drag team, for a year and raced screaming eagle drag series. He is skilled in Fabrication, We are looking to get into the 4 wheel end of it, but will not turn down any chance to crew with either 2 or 4 wheels.....You can see my work at www.myspace.com/ryanbfg     Thanks In Advance....

You might learn more by not crewing on a team.  When on a team the time available to see what "everyone" is doing can go out the window.  If Maxton is anything like B'ville, and I'm sure it is, as you wander around and ask questions you will get answers and a lot more of them that being with a single car or bike.

Besides Maxton you had better make Speed Week a "must do" on your calendar.

c ya,

Sum

equimania

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:29:47 AM »

Be sure to stop by the SNART Racing pits.  We're hard to miss.  We can't guarantee you any work, but we can probably feed you, provide you good company, and tell you some good lies.  After dark, if you like stringed instruments, we might even tickle your auditory nerves.  We're campaigning an ironhead Sportster this year (#979), and might need an extra pair of hands from time to time.

Where are you guys from?

Manhattan Mark

Offline t russell

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 05:16:23 AM »
Come to Maxton you will have a great time.As for those snart people it dont get any better.As for K. Turk he will put you to work.
terry

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:44:22 AM »
lrs 30,

Based on my observations and experience as both a spectator and a go-fer at a few Maxton meets, the advice of Sum, Mark, and Terry is 100% spot on.  Water is fine, just jump on in.  Hope things come together so I can get back in May myself.

Ed Purinton

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 01:23:25 AM »
As said by others here, go to Maxton and observe, the people are great and the track is better than you can imagine!

Very "home style" atmosphere and again great peeps!

J

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 09:24:11 PM »
Go to Maxton and have a good time. You will meet a lot of good people, have fun checking out the hot rods and watching the racing. Don't worry about crewing for a team, if you really feel the need to work there are usually positions for volunteers, but you might get more out of the experience to just observe, meet people and ask questions, and enjoy yourself the first time. 
ECTA 200 Club

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 12:00:11 AM »
lrs 30,

If you haven't already, spend some time on the site ecta-lsr.com [link is on the left of this site's home page].  Lot of information there that will give you a good heads-up start on your trip to Maxton.

If you have the time, a Friday arrival can be very informative, meet set up going on, early arrival entrants getting vehicles tech'd, and usually a rather relaxed pace.  Good time to ask questions, gather information, and take pictures of any safety and performance ideas/features you may be required or want to incorporate into a build of your own.  Saturday can get busy, everyone wants to have fun at once, weather permitting that is when most runs are made.  Sunday activity tends to taper off with many of the longer haul entrants opting to leave early in order to be back at work Mon AM.

One word of warning - this can get addictive fast!

Hope you have a good time and a safe trip.

Ed

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 02:45:24 PM »
Watch those SNARTians!  They're CRAZY!!!!  But fun and generally harmless.  As is the whole bunch.  Mark - I'm surprised you didn't hit these guys up for volunteering!  You have to watch Mark - he buys his salsa in New York City (see the Pace ads).  Actually, I hit them up for volunteering in their last post, so I won't do it again.

BTW - welcome newbies, and have a ball.  It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Later
Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

LVMAXX

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 11:03:37 AM »
 :-D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:18:28 PM by LVMAXX »