Author Topic: Dumb newbie question??????  (Read 7078 times)

Offline sockjohn

Re: Dumb newbie question??????
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2007, 11:13:26 PM »
3. THE LEADING EDGE Aerodynamic Design of Ultra-streamline Land Vehicles by Goro Tamai. It summarizes the design and construction issues of solar cars and ultra light land vehicles. This book is heavy into the design of ultra streamline solar cars, but the principals can be applied to any race car. It is much more in debt and a lot heavier into math than the AERODYNAMICS book, but I feel a lot better book if you can wade through it. It covers aero issues to the smallest degree. If you really are building a streamliner, lakester or competition coupe I would strongly recommend it. Not cheap at $44.95, but that might be a small price to pay to build a body maybe just once and get it as close as you can to ideal. The ISBN is 0-8376-0860-0.

I'm pretty cheap, so would remember paying that much for a book.  I think there is a softcover version available cheaper.
Yes, just found it on Amazon.

And for Jack, the Mercedes Box fish car.  I find this rather interesting as it's low cd without being a low slung sports car, good potential for a minivan/SUV that gets good gas mileage.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm?newsid=2050607.004/country/gcf

Offline Reverend Hedgash

Re: Dumb newbie question??????
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
It seems to me that a fish is also somewhat dubious an example too as it essentially uses its body to propel itself through the water. This would require a design that best interacts with with the water to generate thrust rather than just reduce drag (which I guess explains the flatness of form of fast fish.)

Also, as with belly tank's, a typical fish's form isn't designed to operate at close to ground level where ground effects can have a strong effect.

This is where camber needs to be introduced to the torpedo form to balance up the accelerated air under the car (due to squeezing) by making the travel distance over the car longer.

Hawkwind's model has this camber naturally built into it. I wonder if the fish you were looking at Gary was a bottom dweller?

Our belly tank has a camber of 6% which is apparently about right for its proximity to the ground. (Camber is essentially worked out as a percentage the centre line of the body mass is off the line from tip to tail.)

Reverend H+