Author Topic: Hello  (Read 14277 times)

biketoc

Re: Hello
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 09:03:18 PM »
the wheel size is 13 inch rim's I run 130  mm Michelin pilots
tonight I hit 63 mph on flat ground with 70 cc motor stock body with mirrors .

:-D

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 09:30:33 AM »
It ain't bragging if you can show us the timing slip.  Got one?

No offense intended -- but speedometer readings are notoriously unreliable.  Okay for relative changes -- not for absolute values.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 01:37:13 PM »

No offense intended -- but speedometer readings are notoriously unreliable.  Okay for relative changes -- not for absolute values.

Slim,
Agree with you 100% on the speedo, but I have no doubts about a scooter capable of hitting this kind of speed.  There are local guys pushing 80 on these, and IIRC this is pretty much the motor in the Buddfab stremaliner.  Pretty sure the local guys are getting their fuel at the airport however :)

The thing I always wonder is how they reach these speeds with a CVT, hard if not impossible to regear a CVT, unless they are just able to get the motor reved up that much more than stock. 

Biketoc,
My rulebook arrived just yesterday, so you may want to verify the information, but have to have 15" or larger wheels unless it's a streamliner or sidecar.  Also, if you go over 70, will need at least H rated tires.  This has caused me some grief in the planning to say the least.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 03:10:25 PM by sockjohn »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 03:36:05 PM »
Or Production, or running at Bub...  :-o  :wink:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

bak189

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 07:22:41 PM »
Bring your scooter to the BUB Speed Trials.....and run with the other 100mph scooters........................

biketoc

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 08:35:17 PM »

I am bragging  :evil:If I had a timing slip if would be from the cops.
I just put the motor together Sunday and broke it in all week. I held just a touch over 9000 rpm@62 but I think a little off the top of my cylinder will put me closer to 9500 .My speedo is dead on accurate but dose not mean a thing
I want it in two directions timed to 1 /100th of a second @5000 feet.

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 08:56:04 PM »
Bring the bike to Maxton and get a few runs. I agree with Slim, stock speedo is way off. At 150 indicated on my Busa I was timed at 135. Wheel size might be a problem passing tech, but Jon's 35 mph 600cc passed and won class at the ECTA / Super Street Bike top speed challenge so maybe it won't be a problem . Best of luck.
ECTA 200 Club

biketoc

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2007, 09:06:06 PM »
Bring the bike to Maxton and get a few runs. I agree with Slim, stock speedo is way off. At 150 indicated on my Busa I was timed at 135. Wheel size might be a problem passing tech, but Jon's 35 mph 600cc passed and won class at the ECTA / Super Street Bike top speed challenge so maybe it won't be a problem . Best of luck.
my vfr 800 the speedo is off by mph I know because I have a bicycle speedo hooked up to my front wheel . I use the speedo to map out bicycle rides  making  direction sheets for rides over 100 miles or more I my mileage from point to point is off I hear about it from the cyclist . I only want to get a few runs in and get an official slip to show how fast a modified sr 50 will go. I do not dream of breaking records .that takes money.

Offline Rick Roberts

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2007, 09:43:55 PM »
You might be surprised about the records. There are a lot of open classes at Maxton (no existing record)  that your bike might fit in. Get a rule book and make sure your machine will pass tech, then check out the classes you can run. There is a very good chance you will find more than one open record running a 50cc 2 stroke. Wheel size may be a problem with tech, but if so, you can always run time only to get an official time slip as long as the bike can pass the safety rules.
ECTA 200 Club

biketoc

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2007, 06:30:55 AM »
You might be surprised about the records. There are a lot of open classes at Maxton (no existing record)  that your bike might fit in. Get a rule book and make sure your machine will pass tech, then check out the classes you can run. There is a very good chance you will find more than one open record running a 50cc 2 stroke. Wheel size may be a problem with tech, but if so, you can always run time only to get an official time slip as long as the bike can pass the safety rules.
thank you all for the information. I am coming down to Maxton in September. I need to get over the last round of engine rebuild expense then I will be ok . In the mean time I will get my rule book.
Just a quick question .Can I use a bone stock 2006 vfr800 to make a license pass ? or do I need to remove the stands and safety wire the whole bike?I can ride down on that and make a license run .

biketoc

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »

Slim,
Agree with you 100% on the speedo, but I have no doubts about a scooter capable of hitting this kind of speed.  There are local guys pushing 80 on these, and IIRC this is pretty much the motor in the Buddfab stremaliner.  Pretty sure the local guys are getting their fuel at the airport however :)

The thing I always wonder is how they reach these speeds with a CVT, hard if not impossible to regear a CVT, unless they are just able to get the motor reved up that much more than stock. 

Biketoc,
My rulebook arrived just yesterday, so you may want to verify the information, but have to have 15" or larger wheels unless it's a streamliner or sidecar.  Also, if you go over 70, will need at least H rated tires.  This has caused me some grief in the planning to say the least.

the tires I have are not speed rated but they are the best scooter tires available and I do not think this one will do 70mph  or above
realistically I am looking at speed around 60 +/- 5mph

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2007, 02:51:14 PM »
I've scanned this photo carefully, blown it up, etc, and have failed to find "The Good Looking One".  Please send more data.
Dan

Noonan is the bald guy in the center... man that dude in the green leathers looks like he is in the process of taking a dump in his leathers :-D
kent
I think that photo was taken after his trip to the lake at Bonneville. :evil:And everyone knows that Noonan is the good looking one. :-P John you can also apply my check to our next order. :-D
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »
I've scanned this photo carefully, blown it up, etc, and have failed to find "The Good Looking One".  Please send more data.
Dan

It's all relative.
 You have to understand they have been away from home and with each other for awhile.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2007, 08:46:29 PM »
Is this a Brokeback Mountain thing?  I still think Trillium or Da Murph (or any of the other ladies) is "The Good Looking One"!

Dan

It's all relative.
 You have to understand they have been away from home and with each other for awhile.
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2007, 10:05:50 PM »
Is this a Brokeback Mountain thing?  I still think Trillium or Da Murph (or any of the other ladies) is "The Good Looking One"!

Dan

There seems to be hope for you.

It's all relative.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"