Author Topic: Drive line rule 3.S  (Read 2318 times)

Offline bharmon77

Drive line rule 3.S
« on: March 28, 2007, 08:01:13 AM »
I need some help with drive line rule 3.S, The line that reads "All traction bars and trailing links shall have a metal sling near the front attaching point with a minimum of 1/4" dia.". I am having trouble visualizing how this would apply to a typical 3 or 4 link rear suspension, or if it applies at all?    :?

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: Drive line rule 3.S
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 08:39:37 AM »
     Thanks for the reminder.  We are mocking up the rear suspension on my buddy's Lakester now and that had slipped my mind.  Will now be factoring that in.

Have seen U straps welded/bolted in place similar to drive shaft hoops as well as wire rope loops clamped around them loosely in various configurations.  Basically there to keep them from dropping below the scrub line and causing a pitch pole effect should the front of the bar or link come adrift.

Will be looking for more ideas we might be able to use for our application at Maxton this weekend.

Ed Purinton

Offline bharmon77

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 06:35:29 AM »
Ed,

Thank you for the reply, I am learning that land speed racing has some concerns that I have not been faced with in the past and certainly do not want to have to find the ones that I missed the first time through the tech line.

Bruce Harmon

Offline roygoodwin

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »
"Have seen U straps welded/bolted in place similar to drive shaft hoops as well as wire rope loops clamped around them loosely in various configurations.  Basically there to keep them from dropping below the scrub line and causing a pitch pole effect should the front of the bar or link come adrift."

Is there a preferred method ?  I would think { danger, danger  :wink: } that the U straps would need to be pretty wide (long?) to prevent the link from pulling out, since the bolt that provided the fore & aft as well as Up & down location is obviously gone at that point & that because of that the cable method might be a better choice.  I'm very prepared to be wrong.

roy