Author Topic: Running el Mirage - rookie  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Carl Johansson

Running el Mirage - rookie
« on: March 27, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »
OK -  so in a blind fit of stupidity last night I let mt fabricator talk me into trying to run at el-Mirage this year -  may 5& 6 or 6& 7. so I have a number of questions and rules stuff
If there is a better place to get these answers -  please direct me thou sage group of talking heads!

So I will be a Rookie -  running from lane 4 right?  Will I actually get a chance to run?

Now for the tough stuff -  we want to run the 88 corvette being built for GT to run at Bonneville.  I know very little about differences between el Mirage and Bonneville rules -  and since my fabricator has my rule book and won"t give it back -  and the 2 new ones I've ordered are not here yet -  I need some help!
The car does not have it's engine transplant yet -  we don't care -  we just think it's time to start the process of inspection and shakedown runs!

I will be limited to under 150 mph by rule (rookie runs)
In actuality -  since the car still has the stock engine and tranny -  in all likelyhood I will be seeing 140 - 142 in the 1.3 mile run.

So what will be required of the car in terms of safety devises?
I have a good stout 6 point and a racing seat mounted.  since I'm under 150 -  will I be required to have a parachute?

what about fire system.  Eventually it will be a dual system 15 pounder -  but for now -  is a 5 lb handheld extinguisher mounted inside the car OK by rule?

What about window tabs and rails on top of the car?  required at that speed?

I will have land speed goodyears mounted up -  Nate Jones took care of that for me!

Thats enough for now -  I'm hoping for your guidance -

thanks
Carl Johansson
Carl Johansson
 Auberry Ca

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Running el Mirage - rookie
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »
As a general rule, the requirements will be dictated by the record speed of the class and your speed may be less but not the rules.  :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 11:46:01 AM »
Carl
Go to the www.scta-bni.org web site click on El Mirage at the top of the page. It will open a window and click on El Mirage operation procedures. It is a PDF file of 16 pages on how to run at the lakes. This is last years version and the current 2007 is being upgraded. It will direct you the right direction. The lakes are run a little different as it's a points system. Also if the record in your class is above 160 mph you will be required to have a chute. I think Dan or JD will be giving their input as well
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »
As Glen and Jack said, it's not your car it's the record which directs the safety equipment needed. Accidents happen at any speed and it's ability to save your life is paramount. You can see by the safety rules there are just a few left which are speed related and someday nearly all will be gone. All the directed safety rules will apply. IE: Fires suit, Fire systems, Parachute, Lugs, Wheels, etc.

You can also print a copy of what will be checked. It's on the left side of the website. I'm sure a blank new one will be there soon. I believe you should prepare for the worst scenario. It's actually harder to drive a vehicle at a directed speed for licensing that wide open in some instances.

The club you joined should have made a copy of the procedures available to you upon joining or actually before so you would have known what the procedures are. Guest entries are few and far between and most have been to registration asking questions. Most receive a copy of the procedures at that time.

Gook Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro