Author Topic: Belly Tank cockpit floor pan  (Read 3175 times)

Offline shaun345

• New folks
Belly Tank cockpit floor pan
« on: March 23, 2007, 01:21:35 PM »
In the construction of a bellytank lakester - what is the preferred thickness of the cockpit belly pan? The aluminum tank shell is of course totally inadequate. The thought comes to mind of 1/8" to 3/16" mild steel. 1/4" seems a bit much. What do the Tech Inspectors like to see? Rule book seems vague here but I'm out of date. Thanks-

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Belly Tank cockpit floor pan
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 02:02:51 PM »
The frame structure should contain you equally all around.
The inner skin is required to keep you from poking out between the bars.
For the floorboard, consider the motion required for you to get in and out and you might find that a skid resistant surface like thin diamond plate would work best.
Material choice of aluminum, steel, and thickness is less important than secure fastening methods. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline shaun345

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:52:22 PM »
Your first statement was an eye opener. Until now I considered the frame/cage structure a protective device. Which it is of course - but looking at it as a containment device has me re thinking some aspects of my cage design. It is nice to get a tug out of a rut - Thanks

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »
Shawn
The one thing that's easy to over look when building is that you have to fit in it in a complete fire suit, helmet etc. Many cars have been built and the driver didn't fit. You can do a mock up using PVC tubing to determine where things go and can be reached when strapped in.You will find it saves a ton of time and it's a cheap way to see if it's what you really want. We have had several cars show up where the driver set in the car race ready. During inspection and the bail out procedure they couldn't get out of the car. Most went home or tried to find a driver smaller to run the car. Burke LeSage got many good rides because he did fit.

Just trying to save you a lot of problems during the build up. Good luck with the project and hope to see you on the salt.
Glen :?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:40:18 PM »
shaun
thanks for coating those gilera pipes for me... they look great... your awesome
kent

Offline Stainless1