Author Topic: Motorcycle engine question  (Read 9550 times)

mstephenson51

Motorcycle engine question
« on: March 21, 2007, 04:58:04 PM »
 :?  I searched, and couldnt find out anything....

Where do you guys get your engine internals from for M/C, specificly Cams?  I cant find anything for the 2006 bike I am building.  I found that Crower will do custom cams for me, but thats all I could find.  Also found that Omega will do custom Pistons for me, again, thats all I could get.  Thanks!!!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Re: Motorcycle engine question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »
Parts for the 51 Zonda Sports Tourer are the same as the 52 if that helps.
What would help more is to know what kind of motor do you have in mind ?
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

mstephenson51

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 05:51:54 PM »
I suppose that would help a lot....   I'm going to do a 2006 Suzuki GSX-R750.  going to stay in the 750 class.

Offline GeneF

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
Megacycle (cams) -A.P.E., Falicon are 3 of many.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 06:14:03 PM »
Web cams:
http://webcamshafts.com/
IMO web is the best choice in performace cams for bikes only because it is the only afternarket cam I have used on my busas and on the right hand side of their home page they give props to LSR racers they sponsor (about 4X, and it is cool they sponsor LSR.

I Yosh makes cams also for the gix 7.5 but have never used one but yosh stuff as a rule is really nice and they are all about the suzys.....cant go wrong with a yoshimura cam.
http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/cams06.asp.

Both Ross
 www.rosspistons.com/

& Wiseco
http://www.wiseco.com/default.aspx

Make a fine piston for the gix 7.5. I have used both and can say that I would not chose one over the other.......but for some reason lately I have been on a Ross kick, but both pistons will win races.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 06:18:57 PM by Jonny Hotnuts »
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

mstephenson51

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 06:25:45 PM »
Actually these aren't helping a whole lot....  Yoshimura, while looking like the best bet, actually does not offer a cam set for the '06 750.  They list one, but I talked to Yoshimura USA, and they say that they learned the hard way that is doesnt actually work.

The other links arent showing "off the shelf" mod parts, but I have emailed some of those before, and have not had much luck getting replies.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 06:34:42 PM »
E-mail is not a real popular method of communication and tend go on and on.
A phone call is worth the time and money.
Web is probably the largest supplier and if blanks are not available it might require you send your stuff to be redone to the new specification. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

mstephenson51

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 06:36:59 PM »
Yeah, I suppose.  I'll give Webb a call.

Offline maj

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 08:35:46 PM »
Have a look here http://www.schnitzracing.com/technical_corner.htm   about 1/2 way down the page, covers up to 04 but with a little reaserch the same Principal would probably apply

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 08:58:34 PM »
Many manufactures have so-so response to mails......I agree most do better over the phone but it is often the case that manufactures will often cut their distributors a large discount that a % can be given to you, so it is often cheaper to buy from your local than directly from the company, plus you have the benefit of face to face and their experience with install or related problems that most companies don?t have the staffing to solve. 

Web for instance has a rather impressive list of distributors?..just a suggestion if the phone calls don?t pan out. I personally like to buy from my local distributor?..no matter what the product is?..that way I have someone to yell at when things don?t go my way or I get the wrong part!!!! (joking?.sort of?.)
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 10:58:46 PM »
We run 2 650's, a ZX10, a GSXR 1000, and a busa motor in a Lakester. We have had great success with JE pistons and Web cams. Got three of us red hats.
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 12:20:00 AM »
Got three of us red hats.

And one set of BLUE BALLS............no extra charge, either

One out'a three aint bad.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 05:18:26 AM »
lori at web will make you any cam grind you want... depending on power you want. you can get a good little kick by installing an ebay intake cam in the exhaust side and degree them to 104 on the I and 108 on the X . Call Noonan at JE for pistons... there the best! APE for the chain tensioner, Ferrea for the valves and Kibblewight for the springs and retainers. cometic for the gaskets, carillo for the rods, western wrist pin, and factory pro for the shift drum detent unless you want the trans to go into whatever gear it wants to. PBI for the sprockets, barnett for the clutch, dynojet for the power comander, and me for the pressurized airbox and any bodywork you need. that'll 'bout cover it... oh and mooreland if you need someone to put it all together

Kent

mstephenson51

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 02:58:31 PM »
This is all awesome info.  All these places look great, and I have heard good things from other places that have used parts of theirs as well.  The biggest hurdle I seem to be facing and it seems that there is no avoiding sending the whole bike to someone to do custom cams.  Is this normal???  I am just not sure I want to do that.  Will some places be within a few percent of the absolute best they can do just with me telling them what I need the engine to do and sending the stock cams???   Hopefully that humongaloid runnon sentance makes sense.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 03:11:48 PM »
If you send the cams to Web and tell them EVERYTHING you plan to do (modifications) to and with the bike (top speed) they will get you what you need. :wink: